Watchmakers' Glasses

Old February 2nd 15, 01:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

Default Watchmakers' Glasses

All this faffing around with modern PCBs has convinced me that a
10/20x hand lens is no longer enough. Does anyone have any experience
of buying and using watchmakers' glasses, as for example he
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...hmaker+glasses

If so, bearing in mind that already I use spectacles for
close-distance work, what make/model would people recommend?

I'm surprised to find that they are so affordable, actually ...
UK Residents: If you feel can possibly support it
please sign the following ePetition
before closing time of 30/03/2015 23:59:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/71556
Old February 2nd 15, 01:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff[_2_]

You mean you don't wand one of those tiny cameras with a fibre optic snake
attached f for looking at tiny things in between chips on pcbs? Why get
cheap glasses when you can pay hundreds on the techical version.....:-)

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old February 2nd 15, 04:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Geoff Pearson

"Java Jive" wrote in message
All this faffing around with modern PCBs has convinced me that a
10/20x hand lens is no longer enough. Does anyone have any experience
of buying and using watchmakers' glasses, as for example he
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...hmaker+glasses

If so, bearing in mind that already I use spectacles for
close-distance work, what make/model would people recommend?

I'm surprised to find that they are so affordable, actually ...
UK Residents: If you feel can possibly support it
please sign the following ePetition
before closing time of 30/03/2015 23:59:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/71556

they get terrible reviews. I'm awaiting delivery of
http://www.theloupestore.co.uk/Headb...on-flipup.html

Old February 2nd 15, 04:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_9_]

Geoff Pearson wrote:

I'm awaiting delivery of
http://theloupestore.co.uk/High-Grad...on-flipup.html

To get us back on-topic, a 42" TV plus these

http://theloupestore.co.uk/product-519-520-525.html

are much cheaper than this

http://currys.co.uk/gbuk/sony-22074676-pdt.html
Old February 2nd 15, 10:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

--

My dentist wears glasses and he has what look like tiny brass binoculars
attached to the lenses. He appears to be able to look past the

The ones on Amazon don't look like that, and they don't look
particularly compatible with spectacles.

I wonder if you look into a medical catalogue you might find the sort I
have seen.

Old February 3rd 15, 10:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Monday, 2 February 2015 23:35:23 UTC, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 02/02/2015 14:09, Java Jive wrote:
All this faffing around with modern PCBs has convinced me that a
10/20x hand lens is no longer enough. Does anyone have any experience
of buying and using watchmakers' glasses, as for example he
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...hmaker+glasses

If so, bearing in mind that already I use spectacles for
close-distance work, what make/model would people recommend?

I'm surprised to find that they are so affordable, actually ...
--

My dentist wears glasses and he has what look like tiny brass binoculars
attached to the lenses. He appears to be able to look past the
binocular bit for normal vision and through the binoculars to examine teeth.

Mine too. In his case he does not need glasses normally, so they are actually laid over sort of plain safety glasses (to prevent splashes of patients getting in his eyes). I presume they are on the market somewhere.

Old February 5th 15, 05:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

Thanks for the replies. In the event I've ordered these ...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/easybuyEUR-M...D5I/ref=sr_1_2
.... together with some batteries for the LEDs, as the latter are not
supplied. I'll report back when I've tried them.

Old December 5th 16, 10:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 7:39:13 PM UTC+5:30, Java Jive wrote:
All this faffing around with modern PCBs has convinced me that a
10/20x hand lens is no longer enough. Does anyone have any experience
of buying and using watchmakers' glasses, as for example he
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...hmaker+glasses

If so, bearing in mind that already I use spectacles for
close-distance work, what make/model would people recommend?

I'm surprised to find that they are so affordable, actually ...
UK Residents: If you feel can possibly support it
please sign the following ePetition
before closing time of 30/03/2015 23:59:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/71556

Hey I never use this Google group. I just came across this term "Google Group". What is this? I know this is the thread which is related to optical. I am also dealing in optical and provides magnifying loupes - http://eloupes.com/
Old December 5th 16, 11:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

Simple solution. If you need reading glasses get a pair of ready made
glasses +1.5 or +2 on your prescription. If you don't need reading
glasses get a pair of +1.5 or +2 ready mades. Matalan do Foster Grant
which are optically quite good and cost well less than a tenner.

Remember that if you use a computer screen regularly at work your
employer is legally obliged to pay for an eye test every two years and
provision of half distance glasses (i.e. to see a computer screen at
usual viewing distance) if needed.

Simples.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old December 5th 16, 12:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Woolley[_2_]

On 05/12/16 12:48, Woody wrote:
Simple solution. If you need reading glasses get a pair of ready made
glasses +1.5 or +2 on your prescription. If you don't need reading
glasses get a pair of +1.5 or +2 ready mades. Matalan do Foster Grant
which are optically quite good and cost well less than a tenner.

Someone I know tried to have that done and found that he couldn't have
it done because spectacle lenses are treated as prescription only items
and he would need to get a prescription from a qualified optician (I
think he was after tri-focals).

Obviously you could lie to an online glasses service.