Watchmakers' Glasses

Old December 9th 16, 07:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

Default Watchmakers' Glasses

"Vir Campestris" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 05/12/2016 18:28, David Woolley wrote:
Reading glasses are a bit funny in that I doubt that very many people
really have a distance prescription of 0 sphere 0 cyl,

waves

Last time I had my eyes checked that's exactly what came up in one eye,
and he hummed and decided to put a minor cyl on the other. I can see fine
at a distance.

Less than 2 metres, however... The glasses I'm using now came from a
charity shop. The poundland ones are in the other room. A lot of the cheap
ones seem to have a lens in the middle of a plain glass section, which is
a PITA.

OTOH when I sit on them / lose them / scratch them it doesn't really
matter.

Andy

I cannot read the medium typeface of a book using my prescription glasses.
To overcome this problem I put on two pairs of specs and this gives me
sufficient magnification to proceed.

Old December 9th 16, 08:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_6_]

In message , Vir
Campestris writes

A lot of the cheap ones seem to have a lens in the middle of a plain
glass section, which is a PITA.

I've never seen any like that.

I've been buying cheap off-the-shelf specs for nearly 20 years, and my
two main criticisms of them are
1. They used to be designed to fit people with extremely wide noses.
Being of the WASP persuasion, my nose is relatively thin and pointy, and
it was often difficult to adjust them to fit me comfortably.
2. The legs used to be me made out of strange metal which fractured
easily - especially at the often apparently deliberately designed-in
weak points.

However, the ones I got recently from Pound-Whatever are excellent.

--
Ian
Old December 9th 16, 10:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 08:49:26 -0000, "Phi" wrote:

I cannot read the medium typeface of a book using my prescription glasses.
To overcome this problem I put on two pairs of specs and this gives me
sufficient magnification to proceed.

You could consider getting yourself a Kindle, which would give you a
choice of both typeface and size for any book you read on it.

Or you could consider revisiting your optician to get some reading
glasses that actually do enable you to read, because that's what
they're meant for.