Watchmakers' Glasses

Old December 5th 16, 12:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Tim+[_4_]

Default Watchmakers' Glasses

wrote:
On Monday, February 2, 2015 at 7:39:13 PM UTC+5:30, Java Jive wrote:
All this faffing around with modern PCBs has convinced me that a
10/20x hand lens is no longer enough. Does anyone have any experience
of buying and using watchmakers' glasses, as for example he
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...hmaker+glasses

If so, bearing in mind that already I use spectacles for
close-distance work, what make/model would people recommend?

I'm surprised to find that they are so affordable, actually ...
UK Residents: If you feel can possibly support it
please sign the following ePetition
before closing time of 30/03/2015 23:59:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/71556

Hey I never use this Google group. I just came across this term "Google
Group". What is this?

Oh I dunno. If only there was a searchable database where you could look up
such things? Maybe someone should create a web page where you type in stuff
you don't know the hit "enter".

Doubt it would catch on though.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Old December 5th 16, 05:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"David Woolley" wrote in message
news
On 05/12/16 12:48, Woody wrote:
Simple solution. If you need reading glasses get a pair of ready
made
glasses +1.5 or +2 on your prescription. If you don't need reading
glasses get a pair of +1.5 or +2 ready mades. Matalan do Foster
Grant
which are optically quite good and cost well less than a tenner.

Someone I know tried to have that done and found that he couldn't
have it done because spectacle lenses are treated as prescription
only items and he would need to get a prescription from a qualified
optician (I think he was after tri-focals).

Obviously you could lie to an online glasses service.

Perhaps you missed my comment about Matalan?

Many retailers sell so-called 'reading glasses' these days - M&S,
Boots (even!) etc - for which you do not need a prescription.

If however you do need glasses for reading you can order what you like
from an on-line supplier - just give your prescription details but set
the magnification at the amount you want and they will supply it. I
have used Glasses4eyes at Silsden near Keighley, W Yorks, and Direct
Sight at Amersham, Bucks and found them both very good. I would
recommend anyone buying glasses to pay the bit extra to have them
coated - it makes a huge difference when viewing a screen.

--
Woody

harrogate3 at ntlworld dot com

Old December 5th 16, 05:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Woolley[_2_]

On 05/12/16 12:48, Woody wrote:
Simple solution. If you need reading glasses get a pair of ready
made
glasses +1.5 or +2 on your prescription. If you don't need reading
glasses get a pair of +1.5 or +2 ready mades. Matalan do Foster
Grant
which are optically quite good and cost well less than a tenner.

Someone I know tried to have that done and found that he couldn't
have it done because spectacle lenses are treated as prescription
only items and he would need to get a prescription from a qualified
optician (I think he was after tri-focals).

Obviously you could lie to an online glasses service.

Perhaps you missed my comment about Matalan?

Many retailers sell so-called 'reading glasses' these days - M&S,
Boots (even!) etc - for which you do not need a prescription.

Reading glasses are a bit funny in that I doubt that very many people
really have a distance prescription of 0 sphere 0 cyl, but they are sold
prescription free on the basis that they are for such people.
Unfortunately, my distance prescription has a larger positive spherical
component than any off the shelf reading glasses!

If however you do need glasses for reading you can order what you like
from an on-line supplier - just give your prescription details but set
the magnification at the amount you want and they will supply it. I

The person in question wanted multifocals, with a zone for very close
work. This was just before online resellers came along. Online sellers
insist that you provide a correct and recent prescription, but that's
only for a show of compliance, as they don't really check that the
prescription is valid or current.

Old December 5th 16, 07:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_6_]

In message , Woody
writes

Many retailers sell so-called 'reading glasses' these days - M&S,
Boots (even!) etc - for which you do not need a prescription.

In High Wycombe, Poundland (or was it Pound World - we are blessed with
both) have reading glasses (for 1, of course - including soft case with
snap-shut mouth). They are pretty robust.

For close-in work, I wear two pairs of glasses. [I don't care how odd I
look!]

--
Ian
Old December 5th 16, 07:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
For close-in work, I wear two pairs of glasses. [I don't care how odd I
look!]

You are Professor Branestawm and I claim my five pounds :-)

I have sometimes worn my sunglasses over my distance glasses when driving
because I'm a stingy Yorkshireman who can't thoil (*) buying prescription
sunglasses.

(* ) Thoil: Yorkshire dialect word which embodies the Yorkshireman's stingy
nature - it implies that I can afford it but I think it's a waste of money
and resent paying for it.

Old December 5th 16, 08:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 20:26:14 -0000, "NY" wrote:

(* ) Thoil: Yorkshire dialect word which embodies the Yorkshireman's stingy
nature - it implies that I can afford it but I think it's a waste of money
and resent paying for it.

I've met it as "thole" in Lancashire, meaning to bear, endure, put up
with, etc.

"Thoil" is in the Oxford English Dictionary as an alternative spelling
of "thole". It's been around with various spellings and pronuncations
for many centuries.

Related words exist in other European languages. They may come from a
Latin word, the same one that "tolerate" comes from.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old December 5th 16, 08:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"NY" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
For close-in work, I wear two pairs of glasses. [I don't care how
odd I look!]

You are Professor Branestawm and I claim my five pounds :-)

I have sometimes worn my sunglasses over my distance glasses when
driving because I'm a stingy Yorkshireman who can't thoil (*) buying
prescription sunglasses.

(* ) Thoil: Yorkshire dialect word which embodies the Yorkshireman's
stingy nature - it implies that I can afford it but I think it's a
waste of money and resent paying for it.

Ah, short arms and deep pockets eh?

Old December 5th 16, 09:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 05/12/16 20:13, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Woody
writes

Many retailers sell so-called 'reading glasses' these days - M&S,
Boots (even!) etc - for which you do not need a prescription.

In High Wycombe, Poundland (or was it Pound World - we are blessed with
both) have reading glasses (for 1, of course - including soft case with
snap-shut mouth). They are pretty robust.

For close-in work, I wear two pairs of glasses. [I don't care how odd I
look!]

Same here, Poundland as well

--
Adrian C
Old December 6th 16, 08:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Chuckle yes it does also seem strange that anyone would bring back to life
a post from nearly two years ago.
I'm convinced this person is either being sarcastic or just trolling as
nobody has any excuse for not knowing what a newsgroup was if they saw the
term or indeed not finding out the history behind Usenet and why, today it
could have a rebirth due to all the potential censorship hanging in the
wings of so called democracies.

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 5 Dec 2016 13:18:47 -0000 (UTC), Tim+

[...]

Only somebody like A Sugar would say somebody wouldn't have got very rich
if you
had made one 15 years ago.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Old December 8th 16, 07:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 05/12/2016 18:28, David Woolley wrote:
Reading glasses are a bit funny in that I doubt that very many people
really have a distance prescription of 0 sphere 0 cyl,

waves

Last time I had my eyes checked that's exactly what came up in one eye,
and he hummed and decided to put a minor cyl on the other. I can see
fine at a distance.

Less than 2 metres, however... The glasses I'm using now came from a
charity shop. The poundland ones are in the other room. A lot of the
cheap ones seem to have a lens in the middle of a plain glass section,
which is a PITA.

OTOH when I sit on them / lose them / scratch them it doesn't really matter.

Andy