STV Edinburgh

Old January 5th 15, 01:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Tobin

Default STV Edinburgh

I see that the local station STV Edinburgh is now broadcasting
a loop on Freeview 23 advertising that it will start next week.
It's on channel 30 from Craigkelly.

I was somewhat surprised to get a perfect signal with a wideband
aerial pointing at Black Hill, about 90 degrees away.

-- Richard

Old January 5th 15, 01:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 05/01/2015 14:09, Richard Tobin wrote:
I see that the local station STV Edinburgh is now broadcasting
a loop on Freeview 23 advertising that it will start next week.
It's on channel 30 from Craigkelly.

I was somewhat surprised to get a perfect signal with a wideband
aerial pointing at Black Hill, about 90 degrees away.

It's QPSK modulation (rather than 64QAM that the other national T1-SD
muxes use) so in short built for robustness of reception, (the trade off
is the mux capacity is only 10 Mb/s, compared with 24 Mb/s for 64QAM)

--
Mark
Old January 5th 15, 01:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Mark Carver wrote:

It's QPSK modulation (rather than 64QAM that the other national T1-SD
muxes use) so in short built for robustness of reception, (the trade off
is the mux capacity is only 10 Mb/s, compared with 24 Mb/s for 64QAM)

The picture quality is pretty poor.

-- Richard
Old January 5th 15, 02:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 05/01/2015 14:51, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article ,
Mark Carver wrote:

It's QPSK modulation (rather than 64QAM that the other national T1-SD
muxes use) so in short built for robustness of reception, (the trade off
is the mux capacity is only 10 Mb/s, compared with 24 Mb/s for 64QAM)

The picture quality is pretty poor.

That's probably entirely separate matter, low bit rate coding, unless
you're getting break up of sound and/or vision ?

--
Mark
Old January 5th 15, 02:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Richard Tobin wrote:
In article ,
Mark Carver wrote:

It's QPSK modulation (rather than 64QAM that the other national T1-SD
muxes use) so in short built for robustness of reception, (the trade off
is the mux capacity is only 10 Mb/s, compared with 24 Mb/s for 64QAM)

The picture quality is pretty poor.

-- Richard

Sheffield Live seem to have sorted out some of their teething troubles.
The picture quality is generally OK (but not normal broadcast standard).

Old January 5th 15, 03:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Mark Carver wrote:

It's QPSK modulation (rather than 64QAM that the other national T1-SD
muxes use) so in short built for robustness of reception, (the trade off
is the mux capacity is only 10 Mb/s, compared with 24 Mb/s for 64QAM)

The picture quality is pretty poor.

That's probably entirely separate matter, low bit rate coding, unless
you're getting break up of sound and/or vision ?

Just low bit rate, which presumably goes with the low mux capacity.
I haven't looked at the other channels on the mux to compare.

-- Richard
Old January 6th 15, 04:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Monday, 5 January 2015 14:10:01 UTC, Richard Tobin wrote:
I see that the local station STV Edinburgh is now broadcasting
a loop on Freeview 23 advertising that it will start next week.

I'm surprised they're not calling it STV Rebus to go along with STV Taggart.

Owain