Satellite sockets that aren't F-plug sockets

Old January 2nd 15, 05:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Default Satellite sockets that aren't F-plug sockets

Just come back from trying to fit a satellite dish to my parent's new house, which was fitted with TV cables and sockets by the sparkies but no dish. Didn't install the dish, by the way, but that's another story.

What surprised me was that where I expected to see sockets for F-plugs in the wall, with their sticking out screw barrel, the sockets were flush like a Belling-Lee (which they definitely weren't). In the centre was a pin, i.e.. it was male, which was quite thin but hollow. The inside of the barrel might have had very fine threads, but I don't think so.

Seeing as they wouldn't take my F-plugs, even a push fit one, the best solution was to whip it off and fit another socket, but I an curious to know what those sockets are called and whether they are reckoned to be better than F-plugs or not.

Cheers.
Old January 2nd 15, 05:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:
[...]

I'm wondering if you've encountered the European sockets that used
Belling female for VHF and male for UHF, originally, although that
convention has more-or-less disappeared.

There were some diplexed satellite/terr wallplates in the UK in the
early days that used normal bellings for both outputs.

Electricians will fit anything. They don't give a **** (except Adam).

Old January 2nd 15, 07:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

David wrote:

A lesson from Hind Sight for us all and that is to specify what we
require when placing work, that would allow a call back to correct things.

The best way to gain Hind Sight is to use a mirror and stand facing away
from a window.

Bloody squeaking chair!

Old January 2nd 15, 07:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]

On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 20:05:58 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

David wrote:

A lesson from Hind Sight for us all and that is to specify what we
require when placing work, that would allow a call back to correct things.

The best way to gain Hind Sight is to use a mirror and stand facing away
from a window.

Bloody squeaking chair!

Bill

Running gags on USENET. Whatever next?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old January 2nd 15, 09:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Friday, January 2, 2015 8:43:28 PM UTC, Graham. wrote:

A picture might have helped. Don't you carry a camara phone?

Graham.

Bloody hell no! My wife could ring any time... Not that I can figure out how to use the things, anyway.

Anyway, it just looked like a socket. It was exactly the same diameter as a push fit F-plug, so the plug would not go in at all but looked as if it might until you tried
Unfortunately the wiring etc was done prior to my parents getting involved so they had no say. I noticed that a neighbour (or their installer) had coped with the problem by removing the gubbins from the socket, poking the wires through the holes and fitting F-plugs, which were joined to the fly leads with a back-to-back connector. Not very pretty but it worked.
At the back, the socket was one of those where there are screws for the cable, which I always thing (correctly?) are not as good as the ones where the socket is basically a back-to-back stuyck into plastic, e.g. MK.
Old January 2nd 15, 09:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Friday, January 2, 2015 6:13:43 PM UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
I'm wondering if you've encountered the European sockets that used
Belling female for VHF and male for UHF, originally, although that
convention has more-or-less disappeared.

There were some diplexed satellite/terr wallplates in the UK in the
early days that used normal bellings for both outputs.

Electricians will fit anything. They don't give a **** (except Adam).

Bill

Thanks for your thoughts. The pin in the middle is slimmer than a Belling male, and the socket slightly smaller than Bellings (I did show a male and female to it just to see).
The house is brand new, and the flush sockets look a bit tidier than F-plug barrels sticking out, I have to admit.
Old January 2nd 15, 10:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]

On Fri, 2 Jan 2015 14:48:58 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

[...]

Well you've got me intrigued now, and it sounds like it's fodder for
Bill's Rouges Gallery too, so next time you go, please take a picture.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old January 3rd 15, 02:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Graham. wrote:

Well you've got me intrigued now, and it sounds like it's fodder for
Bill's Rouges Gallery too, so next time you go, please take a picture.

Yes, do that. Let's give the rouge a red face.

Bill

PS: Now playing Beethoven's 9th through headphones to drown sound of chair.