Satellite sockets that aren't F-plug sockets

Old January 4th 15, 04:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Satellite sockets that aren't F-plug sockets

Ian Jackson wrote:

When that name was applied, almost anything that was best conveyed via
coax was considered as UHF (ie RF not much more than 30MHz).

When BBC2 was proposed in the UHF band an expert of my acquaintance said
it would never work because both transmitters and receivers could not
operate in a stable manner at such frequencies.

Old January 4th 15, 09:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Bill Wright
writes
Ian Jackson wrote:

When that name was applied, almost anything that was best conveyed
via coax was considered as UHF (ie RF not much more than 30MHz).

When BBC2 was proposed in the UHF band an expert of my acquaintance
said it would never work because both transmitters and receivers could
not operate in a stable manner at such frequencies.

I understand that in the very early days of wireless, experimenters (ie
radio amateurs) were initially allocated more-or-less anything less than
200m, as the experts declared that such short wavelengths would be
essentially useless for commercial purposes.

--
Ian
Old January 4th 15, 09:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Graham.
writes

PL259, SO239.

But WHY? ;o)

--
Ian
Old January 4th 15, 09:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff[_2_]

Yeah, possibly but dangling in mid air behind a telly is not good.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:
I think the most over the top connectors I've seen in this area ar N
connectors. Blimey we used to use them for military stuff!
Brian

Standard for many types of transmission aerial.

Old January 4th 15, 09:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff[_2_]

Well, a receiver I have here has one of those for up to 30megs, then an N
socket from there up to 2ghz.
What i've never quite got is what is the point of a receiver going up that
high, there is nothing analogue up that high as far as I'm aware. Maybe the
23cms band, but seldom could you hear much there due to the directional
aerials used.
Most of it seems to be mobile phones and data, with some radar stuff.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
Brian Gaff wrote:
I think the most over the top connectors I've seen in this area ar N
connectors. Blimey we used to use them for military stuff!
Brian

Standard for many types of transmission aerial.

They have the advantage of being usable well up into the GHz ranges. We
used to use a 13GHz link that had a FSJ2 tail terminated in N-types to
connect the radio unit to the dish - about 300mm. They are also power
rated. BNC is rated to similar frequencies but much lower power - they
should be as a N-type male will push on to a BNC jack for test purposes.

What gets me is the amount of UHF radio kit (mainly for amateur use) that
has a SO259 for its aerial socket. PL/SO259 is only rated to 200MHz!

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old January 4th 15, 10:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff[_2_]

Off on another tangent. When I was younger and before we had colour tv
officially in the UK our labs had imported some American TVs and had
modified the decoders for Pal etc. I was rether mystified to see that the
aerial connectors were just two in pins, ie balanced 300 ohm connector type
fittings.
Do they still use this standard over there or are they all coaxial now?
I can recall many uk tvs like battery portables had this as well and usally
supplied a balun for use here.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Bill Wright
writes
Woody wrote:

What gets me is the amount of UHF radio kit (mainly for amateur use)
that has a SO259 for its aerial socket. PL/SO259 is only rated to
200MHz!

Yes, it's odd. They are also colloquially known as UHF plugs!

Old January 4th 15, 10:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Brian Gaff
writes
Off on another tangent. When I was younger and before we had colour tv
officially in the UK our labs had imported some American TVs and had
modified the decoders for Pal etc. I was rether mystified to see that the
aerial connectors were just two in pins, ie balanced 300 ohm connector type
fittings.
Do they still use this standard over there or are they all coaxial now?
I can recall many uk tvs like battery portables had this as well and usally
supplied a balun for use here.

I think that, because of their use in the cable TV industry, all US TVs
have had (only) F-connectors for ages.

--
Ian
Old January 4th 15, 04:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]

On Sun, 04 Jan 2015 04:58:32 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

Ian Jackson wrote:

When that name was applied, almost anything that was best conveyed via
coax was considered as UHF (ie RF not much more than 30MHz).

When BBC2 was proposed in the UHF band an expert of my acquaintance said
it would never work because both transmitters and receivers could not
operate in a stable manner at such frequencies.

Bill

When we got our first BBC2 set, it seemed very experimental
bleeding-edge technology to me. And the aerial reminded me of the
ladder in the budgie's cage.

Winter Hill BBC2 was the only signal receivable in the entire UHF
range, but that was due to the insensitivity of the valve tuner.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old January 4th 15, 04:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Geoff Pearson

wrote in message
Just come back from trying to fit a satellite dish to my parent's new
house, which was fitted with TV cables and sockets by the sparkies but no
dish. Didn't install the dish, by the way, but that's another story.

What surprised me was that where I expected to see sockets for F-plugs in
the wall, with their sticking out screw barrel, the sockets were flush
like a Belling-Lee (which they definitely weren't). In the centre was a
pin, i.e. it was male, which was quite thin but hollow. The inside of the
barrel might have had very fine threads, but I don't think so.

Seeing as they wouldn't take my F-plugs, even a push fit one, the best
solution was to whip it off and fit another socket, but I an curious to
know what those sockets are called and whether they are reckoned to be
better than F-plugs or not.

Cheers.

I still want to know what these mysterious sockets are. Can we get back to
the OP question. please?

Old January 4th 15, 04:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

wrote:

Ian Jackson wrote:

When that name was applied, almost anything that was best conveyed via
coax was considered as UHF (ie RF not much more than 30MHz).

When BBC2 was proposed in the UHF band an expert of my acquaintance said
it would never work because both transmitters and receivers could not
operate in a stable manner at such frequencies.

Bill

When we got our first BBC2 set, it seemed very experimental
bleeding-edge technology to me. And the aerial reminded me of the
ladder in the budgie's cage.

Winter Hill BBC2 was the only signal receivable in the entire UHF
range, but that was due to the insensitivity of the valve tuner.

Probably not. It depends on where you were but BBC 2, for a time (1962 -
1969) was the only uhf signal. In the odd location you might have been able
to get something from another transmitter, but remmeber, the aerials were
fairly diectional.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18