Satellite sockets that aren't F-plug sockets

Old January 3rd 15, 07:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

Default Satellite sockets that aren't F-plug sockets

On 03/01/2015 03:55, Bill Wright wrote:
Graham. wrote:

Well you've got me intrigued now, and it sounds like it's fodder for
Bill's Rouges Gallery too, so next time you go, please take a picture.

Yes, do that. Let's give the rouge a red face.

Bill

PS: Now playing Beethoven's 9th through headphones to drown sound of chair.

You could also try the last movement of The Organ Symphony by Saint Saens.

Old January 3rd 15, 05:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I think the most over the top connectors I've seen in this area ar N
connectors. Blimey we used to use them for military stuff!

Email:

wrote in message
Just come back from trying to fit a satellite dish to my parent's new house,
which was fitted with TV cables and sockets by the sparkies but no dish.
Didn't install the dish, by the way, but that's another story.

What surprised me was that where I expected to see sockets for F-plugs in
the wall, with their sticking out screw barrel, the sockets were flush like
a Belling-Lee (which they definitely weren't). In the centre was a pin, i.e.
it was male, which was quite thin but hollow. The inside of the barrel might
have had very fine threads, but I don't think so.

Seeing as they wouldn't take my F-plugs, even a push fit one, the best
solution was to whip it off and fit another socket, but I an curious to know
what those sockets are called and whether they are reckoned to be better
than F-plugs or not.

Cheers.

Old January 3rd 15, 06:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]

Graham. wrote:

Well you've got me intrigued now, and it sounds like it's fodder for
Bill's Rouges Gallery too, so next time you go, please take a picture.

Yes, do that. Let's give the rouge a red face.

Bill

PS: Now playing Beethoven's 9th through headphones to drown sound of chair.

You could also try the last movement of The Organ Symphony by Saint Saens.

Jim

Bernard Herrmann: ‘The Shower’ from Hitchcock’s Psycho (1960)

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old January 3rd 15, 08:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Brian Gaff wrote:
I think the most over the top connectors I've seen in this area ar N
connectors. Blimey we used to use them for military stuff!
Brian

Standard for many types of transmission aerial.

Old January 3rd 15, 08:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Brian Gaff wrote:
I think the most over the top connectors I've seen in
this area ar N connectors. Blimey we used to use them for
military stuff!
Brian

Standard for many types of transmission aerial.

They have the advantage of being usable well up into the GHz
ranges. We used to use a 13GHz link that had a FSJ2 tail
terminated in N-types to connect the radio unit to the
dish - about 300mm. They are also power rated. BNC is rated
to similar frequencies but much lower power - they should be
as a N-type male will push on to a BNC jack for test
purposes.

What gets me is the amount of UHF radio kit (mainly for
amateur use) that has a SO259 for its aerial socket.
PL/SO259 is only rated to 200MHz!

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old January 3rd 15, 09:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sat, 3 Jan 2015 20:58:13 -0000, Woody wrote:

What gets me is the amount of UHF radio kit (mainly for
amateur use) that has a SO259 for its aerial socket.
PL/SO259 is only rated to 200MHz!

We chucked away copious quantities of those (in an old adapters box)
just before Christmas.
Used to use them for baseband video (PAL) on OB's as they were a
lot more rugged than BNCs and didn't squash when you trod on the end
of the cable. No use for SDI of course...
Old January 3rd 15, 09:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Woody wrote:

What gets me is the amount of UHF radio kit (mainly for
amateur use) that has a SO259 for its aerial socket.
PL/SO259 is only rated to 200MHz!

Yes, it's odd. They are also colloquially known as UHF plugs!

Old January 3rd 15, 11:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Bill Wright
writes
Woody wrote:

What gets me is the amount of UHF radio kit (mainly for amateur use)
that has a SO259 for its aerial socket. PL/SO259 is only rated to
200MHz!

Yes, it's odd. They are also colloquially known as UHF plugs!

When that name was applied, almost anything that was best conveyed via
coax was considered as UHF (ie RF not much more than 30MHz).
--
Ian
Old January 4th 15, 01:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]

Brian Gaff wrote:
I think the most over the top connectors I've seen in
this area ar N connectors. Blimey we used to use them for
military stuff!
Brian

Standard for many types of transmission aerial.

They have the advantage of being usable well up into the GHz
ranges. We used to use a 13GHz link that had a FSJ2 tail
terminated in N-types to connect the radio unit to the
dish - about 300mm. They are also power rated. BNC is rated
to similar frequencies but much lower power - they should be
as a N-type male will push on to a BNC jack for test
purposes.

What gets me is the amount of UHF radio kit (mainly for
amateur use) that has a SO259 for its aerial socket.
PL/SO259 is only rated to 200MHz!

PL259, SO239.

--

Graham.