BBC 1 Scotland Hogmanay programme available UK-wide on red button

Old December 31st 14, 11:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

Default BBC 1 Scotland Hogmanay programme available UK-wide on red button

As subject.

I wonder how many Freeview viewers knew that they could have been
watching the North Britain version of seeing-in of the New Year (albeit
extremely sanitised), instead of the new-fangled rock festival London
version?
--
Ian
Old December 31st 14, 11:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 00:28:56 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

As subject.

I wonder how many Freeview viewers knew that they could have been
watching the North Britain version of seeing-in of the New Year (albeit
extremely sanitised), instead of the new-fangled rock festival London
version?

I think there was an nannouncement, on-screen notice I think, before the
"new-fangled rock festival" saying that the Red Button was showing the
North British programme.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old January 1st 15, 12:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 00:28:56 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:

As subject.

I wonder how many Freeview viewers knew that they could have been
watching the North Britain version of seeing-in of the New Year
(albeit extremely sanitised), instead of the new-fangled rock
festival London version?

No, but why would I have done that? The Queen/Adam Lambert concert was
good, in our opinion. What did the Northern Show show?

--
Davey.
Old January 1st 15, 12:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 01:25:50 +0000
Davey wrote:

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 00:28:56 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:

As subject.

I wonder how many Freeview viewers knew that they could have been
watching the North Britain version of seeing-in of the New Year
(albeit extremely sanitised), instead of the new-fangled rock
festival London version?

No, but why would I have done that? The Queen/Adam Lambert concert
was good, in our opinion. What did the Northern Show show?

Ah, I've got it:

Andy Stewart!

--
Davey.
Old January 1st 15, 02:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Davey wrote:
On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 01:25:50 +0000
Davey wrote:

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 00:28:56 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:

As subject.

I wonder how many Freeview viewers knew that they could have been
watching the North Britain version of seeing-in of the New Year
(albeit extremely sanitised), instead of the new-fangled rock
festival London version?

No, but why would I have done that? The Queen/Adam Lambert concert
was good, in our opinion. What did the Northern Show show?

Ah, I've got it:

Andy Stewart!

No, they had a few bits from Ally Bain, but the rest was pop music. The
BBC does not cater for people aged over 60. They just wish we would
hurry up and die.

Having said that, the Scottish thing was better than the English thing.

I also watch Last Tango in Halifax. There was an entirely spurious line
condemning Nigel Farage, clearly crowbarred in. It jarred because it was
so out of context. The storyline about the lesbians was useful to the
BBC because they were able to portray the hate figure (the Daily Mail
reading lady) as being narrow minded and prejudiced, oh, and racist as
well. They also managed to insert a little 'public information film'
that could have been called "Don't be rude to lesbians or you will be up
on a homophobia charge, so watch it."

In the last series, we had the main characters discuss politics,
unrelated to the story lines.
Jacibi gave a long speech about sticking up for the average man but then
veered
off into praising Michael Foot and Gordon Brown. The woman
was accused of being a Thatcherite and was suitably wishy washy with her
opinions
to give the impression that she did not know any better and was just stupid.

The accents are risible. Derek Jacobi's attempts to sound Yorkshire had
us in stitches.

Old January 1st 15, 03:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 03:52:11 +0000
Bill Wright wrote:

Davey wrote:
On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 01:25:50 +0000
Davey wrote:

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 00:28:56 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:

As subject.

I wonder how many Freeview viewers knew that they could have been
watching the North Britain version of seeing-in of the New Year
(albeit extremely sanitised), instead of the new-fangled rock
festival London version?
No, but why would I have done that? The Queen/Adam Lambert concert
was good, in our opinion. What did the Northern Show show?

Ah, I've got it:

Andy Stewart!

No, they had a few bits from Ally Bain, but the rest was pop music.
The BBC does not cater for people aged over 60. They just wish we
would hurry up and die.

I'm (quick finger count) 64, so I also suffer this.

[...]

BBC Business as usual, then.

Happy New Year to All!

--
Davey.

Old January 1st 15, 08:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Bill Wright
writes
Davey wrote:
On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 01:25:50 +0000
Davey wrote:

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 00:28:56 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:

As subject.

I wonder how many Freeview viewers knew that they could have been
watching the North Britain version of seeing-in of the New Year
(albeit extremely sanitised), instead of the new-fangled rock
festival London version?
No, but why would I have done that? The Queen/Adam Lambert concert
was good, in our opinion. What did the Northern Show show?

Ah, I've got it:
Andy Stewart!

No, they had a few bits from Ally Bain, but the rest was pop music. The
BBC does not cater for people aged over 60. They just wish we would
hurry up and die.

Probably even more-so if they have reached 75, and no longer need to pay
for the TV licence.

Having said that, the Scottish thing was better than the English thing.

Even then, it was maybe a bit too slick and 'jazzed-up' for my liking.
I preferred the guid auld days when it was sometimes fairly obvious that
some of the presenters and performers had been the partying since quite
early in the day.

As for the London do, the last song went on for so long that I was
becoming increasingly alarmed that it was going to crash Big Ben
striking midnight. It almost seemed as if they had completely forgotten
about it. They only got there with about 10 seconds to spare before the
first 'ding' of the first ding dong, ding dong.

--
Ian
Old January 1st 15, 10:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim.....

"Davey" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 01:25:50 +0000
Davey wrote:

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 00:28:56 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:

As subject.

I wonder how many Freeview viewers knew that they could have been
watching the North Britain version of seeing-in of the New Year
(albeit extremely sanitised), instead of the new-fangled rock
festival London version?

No, but why would I have done that? The Queen/Adam Lambert concert
was good, in our opinion. What did the Northern Show show?

Ah, I've got it:

Andy Stewart!

isn't he dead yet!

Old January 1st 15, 10:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

Did anyone notice the best bit of BBC timing?

They showed the entire London firework display and then
after it had finished put a small caption with an angled
picture of St Stephen's Tower (OK, Big Ben) warning of
flashing images.

Anyone beat that?

Oh, and a Happy New Boxing Day to one and all.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old January 1st 15, 11:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , tim.....
writes

"Davey" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 01:25:50 +0000
Davey wrote:

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 00:28:56 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:

As subject.

I wonder how many Freeview viewers knew that they could have been
watching the North Britain version of seeing-in of the New Year
(albeit extremely sanitised), instead of the new-fangled rock
festival London version?

No, but why would I have done that? The Queen/Adam Lambert concert
was good, in our opinion. What did the Northern Show show?

Ah, I've got it:

Andy Stewart!

isn't he dead yet!

Wikipedia says he died in 1993 (only 59). Chick Murray and Maidie are
also dead.
--
Ian