BBC 1 Scotland Hogmanay programme available UK-wide on red button

Old January 1st 15, 10:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default BBC 1 Scotland Hogmanay programme available UK-wide on red button

On Thursday, January 1, 2015 12:44:38 PM UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:
They were several seconds late, according to my watch (time signal from
DCF77). Does it take 7 or 8 seconds to encode/decode the Freeview
signal? Does Freesat take longer (including the time to transmit to and
from the satellite). Does a transmission in HD take longer still?

I thought Edinburgh were about 4 seconds late, but perhaps cannon fuses are a bit more variable.

Owain

Old January 2nd 15, 02:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Thursday, 1 January 2015 23:51:34 UTC, wrote:
On Thursday, January 1, 2015 12:44:38 PM UTC, Jeff Layman wrote:
They were several seconds late, according to my watch (time signal from
DCF77). Does it take 7 or 8 seconds to encode/decode the Freeview
signal? Does Freesat take longer (including the time to transmit to and
from the satellite). Does a transmission in HD take longer still?

I thought Edinburgh were about 4 seconds late, but perhaps cannon fuses are a bit more variable.

Owain

Perhaps some hesitation pulling the cord, a second for the sound to get from the castle to the mic' on Princes Street, another to beam back to the studio via satellite, then another to get to your dish, plus a bit of delay in your receiver... soon adds up.