BBC 1 Scotland Hogmanay programme available UK-wide on red button

Old January 1st 15, 12:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff[_2_]

Default BBC 1 Scotland Hogmanay programme available UK-wide on red button

Well when I looked at red button it was still running The musketeers loop.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
As subject.

I wonder how many Freeview viewers knew that they could have been watching
the North Britain version of seeing-in of the New Year (albeit extremely
sanitised), instead of the new-fangled rock festival London version?
--
Ian

Old January 1st 15, 12:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 01/01/15 09:19, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Bill Wright
writes
Davey wrote:
On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 01:25:50 +0000
Davey wrote:

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 00:28:56 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:

As subject.

I wonder how many Freeview viewers knew that they could have been
watching the North Britain version of seeing-in of the New Year
(albeit extremely sanitised), instead of the new-fangled rock
festival London version?
No, but why would I have done that? The Queen/Adam Lambert concert
was good, in our opinion. What did the Northern Show show?

Ah, I've got it:
Andy Stewart!

No, they had a few bits from Ally Bain, but the rest was pop music. The
BBC does not cater for people aged over 60. They just wish we would
hurry up and die.

Probably even more-so if they have reached 75, and no longer need to pay
for the TV licence.

Having said that, the Scottish thing was better than the English thing.

Even then, it was maybe a bit too slick and 'jazzed-up' for my liking.
I preferred the guid auld days when it was sometimes fairly obvious that
some of the presenters and performers had been the partying since quite
early in the day.

As for the London do, the last song went on for so long that I was
becoming increasingly alarmed that it was going to crash Big Ben
striking midnight. It almost seemed as if they had completely forgotten
about it. They only got there with about 10 seconds to spare before the
first 'ding' of the first ding dong, ding dong.

They were several seconds late, according to my watch (time signal from
DCF77). Does it take 7 or 8 seconds to encode/decode the Freeview
signal? Does Freesat take longer (including the time to transmit to and
from the satellite). Does a transmission in HD take longer still?

--

Jeff
Old January 1st 15, 01:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , tim.....
writes

No, but why would I have done that? The Queen/Adam Lambert concert
was good, in our opinion. What did the Northern Show show?

Ah, I've got it:

Andy Stewart!

isn't he dead yet!

Wikipedia says he died in 1993 (only 59).

Must have been Jimmy Shand then.

Not actually live of course since he died in 2000. But no-one sussed it
was a recording. Every New Year's Eve up there is exactly the same as
all the others after all.

Old January 1st 15, 01:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 01/01/15 09:19, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Bill Wright
writes
Davey wrote:
On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 01:25:50 +0000
Davey wrote:

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 00:28:56 +0000
Ian Jackson
wrote:

[...]

Watching ordinary SD against a MSF clock I made it a tad
over six seconds on BBC1.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old January 1st 15, 03:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 11:20:08 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 03:52:11 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

Davey wrote:
On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 01:25:50 +0000
Davey wrote:

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 00:28:56 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:

As subject.

I wonder how many Freeview viewers knew that they could have been
watching the North Britain version of seeing-in of the New Year
(albeit extremely sanitised), instead of the new-fangled rock
festival London version?
No, but why would I have done that? The Queen/Adam Lambert concert
was good, in our opinion. What did the Northern Show show?

Ah, I've got it:

Andy Stewart!

No, they had a few bits from Ally Bain, but the rest was pop music. The
BBC does not cater for people aged over 60. They just wish we would
hurry up and die.

Try watching BBC 4 music programmes which are definitely not targeted at the
under 60s.

Anyway, the Queen concert would have appealed to over-60s. Queen started
in 1970, that's more than 44 years ago.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old January 1st 15, 03:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 11:28:32 -0000, "tim....."
wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 01:25:50 +0000
Davey wrote:

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 00:28:56 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:

As subject.

I wonder how many Freeview viewers knew that they could have been
watching the North Britain version of seeing-in of the New Year
(albeit extremely sanitised), instead of the new-fangled rock
festival London version?

No, but why would I have done that? The Queen/Adam Lambert concert
was good, in our opinion. What did the Northern Show show?

Ah, I've got it:

Andy Stewart!

isn't he dead yet!

What's that got to do with anything? Freddie Mercury performed in the
Queen concert in London.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old January 1st 15, 03:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
Norman Wells wrote:
Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , tim.....
writes

No, but why would I have done that? The Queen/Adam Lambert concert
was good, in our opinion. What did the Northern Show show?

Ah, I've got it:

Andy Stewart!

isn't he dead yet!

Wikipedia says he died in 1993 (only 59).

Must have been Jimmy Shand then.

Not actually live of course since he died in 2000. But no-one sussed it
was a recording. Every New Year's Eve up there is exactly the same as
all the others after all.

I think, that Jimmy's son, Jimmy jnr, is still performing.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Old January 1st 15, 05:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Ian Jackson wrote:

Having said that, the Scottish thing was better than the English thing.

Even then, it was maybe a bit too slick and 'jazzed-up' for my liking.

There was something rather odd, sort of sterile, about it, like the
office party at Methodist HQ.

I preferred the guid auld days when it was sometimes fairly obvious that
some of the presenters and performers had been the partying since quite
early in the day.

Yes, deffo.

Old January 1st 15, 05:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , tim.....
writes

"Davey" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 01:25:50 +0000
Davey wrote:

On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 00:28:56 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:

As subject.

I wonder how many Freeview viewers knew that they could have been
watching the North Britain version of seeing-in of the New Year
(albeit extremely sanitised), instead of the new-fangled rock
festival London version?

No, but why would I have done that? The Queen/Adam Lambert concert
was good, in our opinion. What did the Northern Show show?

Ah, I've got it:

Andy Stewart!

isn't he dead yet!

Wikipedia says he died in 1993 (only 59). Chick Murray and Maidie are
also dead.

Aye, and Will Fyffe. They're all gone, and we'll be next.

By the way I must oil this chair.

Old January 1st 15, 08:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Youlden[_3_]

On 01/01/2015 01:25, Davey wrote:
On Thu, 1 Jan 2015 00:28:56 +0000
Ian Jackson wrote:

As subject.

I wonder how many Freeview viewers knew that they could have been
watching the North Britain version of seeing-in of the New Year
(albeit extremely sanitised), instead of the new-fangled rock
festival London version?

No, but why would I have done that? The Queen/Adam Lambert concert was
good, in our opinion. What did the Northern Show show?

Was the new-fangled rock festival programme available on the red button
in Scotland?

If not, why not?

--

Chris