Finding odd channels

Old December 30th 14, 02:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff[_2_]

Default Finding odd channels

on Freeview above the 800 area so to speak. I seem to have varying numbers
of these which usually claim to be the same names as existing ones, apart
foom test but none of them have any content, yet are found on a retune. Are
they getting lax or is this justanother weirdness of my older box I wonder.
Also, sometimes the main tuning misses whole multiplexes altogether as if
they were missing.

Its all very unsatisfactory, bring back manual tuning I say, we knew what
we were doing then.
Its not beent he same sincce blue screens replaced white noise..

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old December 30th 14, 02:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_9_]

Brian Gaff wrote:
on Freeview above the 800 area so to speak. I seem to have varying numbers
of these which usually claim to be the same names as existing ones

Nothing wrong with that, channels above 800 on freeview are specifically
for duplicate channels, e.g. where you receive from multiple
transmitters, even if some of the channels are very sporadic they often
tend to show up if you get a "sniff" of a distant transmitter by chance.

Old December 30th 14, 09:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
madge

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 15:46:58 -0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:
on Freeview above the 800 area so to speak. I seem to have varying
numbers
of these which usually claim to be the same names as existing ones

Nothing wrong with that, channels above 800 on freeview are specifically
for duplicate channels, e.g. where you receive from multiple
transmitters, even if some of the channels are very sporadic they often
tend to show up if you get a "sniff" of a distant transmitter by chance.

Ah sporadic-E those were the days.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporadic_E_propagation

--
My Kindle/Mobile links page | All Kindles | http://goo.gl/ySe0d
Use these for low bandwidth | All Mobiles | http://KindLink.tk/
Old December 31st 14, 09:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff[_2_]

In the case of uhf, its tropo ducting.
I had a modified Antex aerial for Sporadic E. It was good fun when I could
see as you never knew what would pop up. The very first time I saw this was
way back in the 60s, on a tv that just happened to have a vhf tuner as well
as UHF and was one of the first ones to be able to get BBC2 and it used the
vhf for some form of cable distribution of the station.

It was sitting on a bench in my shed out of its cabinet waiting for it to
blow a fuse as it tended to do, and the set was just tuned to a random band
1 channel, and it had a bit of wire in its aerial socket thrown over the
roof as it had been on 405 earlier in the test. Suddenly up poped a test
card for Sveridge's Radio.
No sound of course as the spacing was different to ours. It faded and
ghosted a lot but what happened next was more interesting, they put up a
test card with a nice blonde young lady in the middle, well it was black and
white but I suspect it was early colour testing like we did on BBC 2. After
a while it was replaced by some load of rubbish adverts witht the language
obviously Spanish, and later with what I found out later was Russian TV,
which seemed to alternate between talk shows and large ladies singing.

It was fun up during the 70s etc, but it was hard to know what you might
get on a given day of course.

In the winter i had to modifiy the set to get 819 line French tv from Lille
which at the time seemed to be run by Sacha Distel.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
news

Old December 31st 14, 09:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Terry Casey[_2_]

In article , says...

[...]

Brian

The Bush TV125 was ideal for this. The blade of a bog standard sixpenny
screwdriver fitted neatly between the tags on the vertical system switch so
two of them, inserted into the bottom two sections connected HT to the VHF
tuner and also linked the IF inputs, producing a VHF 625-line TV. If the UHF
tuner was fitted, its IF output lead was unplugged.

The beauty of this was that we could 'play' with any one of these sets that
passed through our service department if the conditions were right but the
set could be put back into its normal operating mode in about two seconds, if
needed!

Like Brian, we occasionally received signals from Sweden and, occasionally,
Norway but the 'mainstays' were Russia, Czechoslovakia, West Germany and,
most consistent of all, TVE (Spain).

I only ever saw signals from Italy once. I was working on my own when I came
across the RAI test card. This then faded out and was replaced by a gorgeous
continuity announcer completely unlike anything seen on British TV!

She was then replaced by the Eurovision caption. No sound, of course, as
Brian said, but you could imagine the usual introductory fanfare. However,
there was something a little different about this caption - the letters
BBC/ITA in the centre!

In due course this faded out and replaced by the opening titles of the
programme proclaiming "Word Cup '66"! It was a little strange to see this
signal that had travelled around 2,500 miles to Italy and all the way back
again!

--

Terry
Old December 31st 14, 04:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]

On Wed, 31 Dec 2014 10:58:51 -0000, Terry Casey
wrote:

In article , says...

[...]

There was a fascination about receiving Sp-E DX, VHF behaving like
short wave.

The picture often didn't so much fade out, it was rather replaced by
another one, like a celestial vision mixer had moved her sliders.
She never got it properly gen-locked though!

It was a Bush set with me too but initially nothing as modern as a
125, more like a TV53 which were 405 only, but could be modded for 625
and had an IF strip using no less than three EF80s

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%