EU Directive on TV ECO mode?

Old December 28th 14, 11:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint[_2_]

Default EU Directive on TV ECO mode?

In a forum for the over 50's this was posted today:
"Yes another EU directive for new tv,s is they must have an ECO setting
this is normally turned on by default to reduce power consumption but if
you want the best picture quality then you must turn it off.
If you have purchased a new tv in the last couple of years and have not
turned it off then do so"

Can't immediately find a reference.

Anyone in these hallowed walls hear of it?

Richard
Old December 28th 14, 12:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 11:40:10 +0000, Dickie mint
wrote:

In a forum for the over 50's this was posted today:
"Yes another EU directive for new tv,s is they must have an ECO setting
this is normally turned on by default to reduce power consumption but if
you want the best picture quality then you must turn it off.
If you have purchased a new tv in the last couple of years and have not
turned it off then do so"

Can't immediately find a reference.

Anyone in these hallowed walls hear of it?

Richard

The Daily Telegraph has heard of it:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-pictures.html

Don't go ECO
Research by THX (the standards organisation founded by George Lucas)
shows that setting up your TV with a picture mode such as Movie,
Cinema or THX, uses less energy than the default Vivid or Dynamic
mode. The approximate savings were measured to be as low as 15 per
cent and as high as 50 per cent between the two different picture
modes. Since you've already selected the best picture mode in step
one, you're already saving energy. Therefore, if your TV has an
energy saving or Eco mode, turn it OFF! The Eco feature adjusts the
brightness of the entire image on screen, dimming or brightening the
picture in a way that is distracting. By switching this off, the
image is better and you are still saving energy.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old December 28th 14, 12:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_9_]

wrote:

[...]

Bought new TV yesterday got it going at horrible picture and very
disappointed so before returning it I rang a relative who said switch
the ECO Mode off, did so what a difference that made.
He told me the EU insist TV sets have it and have to default to it.
Stupid.
Regards
David
Old December 28th 14, 01:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

wrote:

The Daily Telegraph has heard of it:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-pictures.html

Don't go ECO Research by THX (the standards organisation founded by
George Lucas) shows that setting up your TV with a picture mode such
as Movie, Cinema or THX, uses less energy than the default Vivid or
Dynamic mode.

I didn't realise that the 'picture mode' names "Vivid", "Dynamic", etc,
had industry-agreed definitions which makers all followed. Can someone
point me at the relevant definitions? I think I simply chose the option
with a name like 'Standard', but I'd now need to check.

The approximate savings were measured to be as low as 15 per cent and as
high as 50 per cent between the two different picture modes. Since
you've already selected the best picture mode in step one, you're
already saving energy. Therefore, if your TV has an energy saving or
Eco mode, turn it OFF! The Eco feature adjusts the brightness of the
entire image on screen, dimming or brightening the picture in a way
that is distracting. By switching this off, the image is better and
you are still saving energy.

I'm also not sure about how an 'ECO' mode has such an effect. The TV I
bought a few weeks ago certainly needed its brightness, etc, altering.
Ditto for turning off 'overscan'. But I can't recall altering an 'ECO'
setting. May have forgotten. There were some setting that had wordings
about them altering the screen, but I think I switched them off.

FWIW I also found that although settings for brightness, etc, worked
across source, the settings for some things like 'overscan' need to be set
for each source. Daft. And the TV *still* plays the audio for any AV
signals (tuner, files from its player) at low level. Yet plays *audio*
files get played much louder, and it simply passes on audio from HDMI
input. So requires the user to keep adjusting the volumen control when you
change source or type of file. Also Daft.

Old December 28th 14, 01:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 13:14:36 +0000 (GMT)
Jim Lesurf wrote:

So requires the user to keep adjusting the volumen control when you
change source or type of file. Also Daft.

We find that just watching Drama channel, the volume rises and falls
unpredictably.
And my Humax has very low volume when set to BBC1 HD.

--
Davey.
Old December 28th 14, 01:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 28/12/2014 11:40, Dickie mint wrote:
In a forum for the over 50's this was posted today:
"Yes another EU directive for new tv,s is they must have an ECO setting
this is normally turned on by default to reduce power consumption but if
you want the best picture quality then you must turn it off.
If you have purchased a new tv in the last couple of years and have not
turned it off then do so"

Can't immediately find a reference.

Anyone in these hallowed walls hear of it?

Richard

It must be this year's lunacy. My TV bought just before Christmas last
year has an ECO setting and it was defaulted to OFF when I first powered
the set on. It has stayed off.

I am already paying so-called green taxes with my electricity bill to
subsidise a few windmills which will never be value for money, and I am
not going to ruin my TV enjoyment because some idiot in an ivory tower
has come up with yet another pointless spiffing wheeze.

Old December 28th 14, 01:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 28/12/2014 13:27, Indy Jess John wrote:

It must be this year's lunacy. My TV bought just before Christmas last
year has an ECO setting and it was defaulted to OFF when I first powered
the set on. It has stayed off.

I am already paying so-called green taxes with my electricity bill to
subsidise a few windmills which will never be value for money, and I am
not going to ruin my TV enjoyment because some idiot in an ivory tower
has come up with yet another pointless spiffing wheeze.

The feature though is a positive boon, if you have 'young people'
residing in your house.

It's a shame there isn't a 30 min setting, I've set our lads' sets to 1
hour

--
Mark
Old December 28th 14, 01:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_9_]

Jim Lesurf wrote:

The TV I bought a few weeks ago certainly needed its brightness, etc,
altering. Ditto for turning off 'overscan'. But I can't recall
altering an 'ECO' setting.

My samsung it was tucked away under
menu/picture/advanced/motion lighting

Old December 28th 14, 02:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_9_]

On 28/12/2014 13:53, Andy Burns wrote:
Jim Lesurf wrote:

The TV I bought a few weeks ago certainly needed its brightness, etc,
altering. Ditto for turning off 'overscan'. But I can't recall
altering an 'ECO' setting.

My samsung it was tucked away under
menu/picture/advanced/motion lighting

That's right My new set is a Samsung, I went through several menus
before finding it.
Was also annoyed to have to commit to several user agreements before
before it would do the set up for me to use it, I now feel a Big Brother
at Samsung is noting what programs I watch.
Regards
David
Old December 28th 14, 04:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_9_]

David wrote:

Was also annoyed to have to commit to several user agreements before
before it would do the set up for me to use it, I now feel a Big Brother
at Samsung is noting what programs I watch.

So remove the WiFi password from the TV, or unplug the Ethernet as
appropriate ...