EU Directive on TV ECO mode?

Old January 1st 15, 07:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default EU Directive on TV ECO mode?

Max Demian wrote:

I'd like to know what domestic items associated with the Interweb take
25-100W when 'not in use?' A router takers about 5-7W, a modem about the
same both in use or not.

Mine says it takes 1A at 12v, but the wall wart says 0.4A at 100V which is
40W. I assume the economy is about the same at 230/240V.

This chair isn't even plugged in.

Old January 1st 15, 07:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mike[_19_]

In article , Woody wrote:

I'd like to know what domestic items associated with the
Interweb take 25-100W when 'not in use?' A router takers
about 5-7W, a modem about the same both in use or not.

The report I heard says that a broadband modem "uses 100W of
energy overnight". Usual units error and power==energy
rubbish.

100WH of *energy* surely?

10W of power for 10 hours (handwave figures-from-air)

If it really was using 100W of power that would be
fantastic, as it's only got a 7W power supply 93W
of FREE energy! We can save the environment by switching
all the broadband routers ON to make power overnight!

Feed it back to the grid!

Call it the "e-Con-me 7" tarriff or something.

Then there's the gas cooker. 143 saving over the lifetime
of the appliance - say 10 years minimum. One really has to
ask if its worth it?

Is that with or without a pilot light?
Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk

Old January 1st 15, 07:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Max Demian" wrote in message
Cable routers are not so much of a problem, but ADSL modems take time to
train to get the best speed so it is better not to switch them off if
possible.

I tried leaving my ADSL modem/router (a Belkin F6D4630-4) on for a
fortnight but it didn't make any difference (to the speed) from turning it
off at night and when I am going to be out of the house most of the day.

I'd like to know what domestic items associated with the Interweb take
25-100W when 'not in use?' A router takers about 5-7W, a modem about the
same both in use or not.

Mine says it takes 1A at 12v, but the wall wart says 0.4A at 100V which is
40W. I assume the economy is about the same at 230/240V.

Do routers reconnect automatically and come up into to full working state as
soon as a PC requests data, either from another PC or from the internet?

I'd have to leave my router on 24/7 because I want to be able to access my
PC remotely on my laptop by TeamViewer when I'm away from home.

So I hope all these devices that have automatic switch-off also have the
ability to override this where there is a need to do so, even if the default
for novices is to switch into power-saving mode after a period of
inactivity.

Old January 1st 15, 07:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

NY wrote:

So I hope all these devices that have automatic switch-off also have the
ability to override this where there is a need to do so, even if the
default for novices is to switch into power-saving mode after a period
of inactivity.

I sat perfectly still for ten minutes to cause the chair to have a
period of inactivity, and when I finally moved it squeaked immediately.
So I don't think there's a problem with modems.

Old January 1st 15, 07:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint[_2_]

On 01/01/2015 20:27, NY wrote:
"Max Demian" wrote in message
[...]

From another place quoted from this:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadban...eed_tips.shtml

"Leave your router switched on
Leaving your router on will make sure you get the best speed and
performance from your service.
Don't switch it off at night!
Regularly switching off your router can make it look like your service
is disconnecting. If this happens, your broadband speed will be reduced
because the exchange thinks your line is unstable and can't cope with
higher speeds. Speed reductions are never permanent, but it can take up
to 3 days before your speeds return to normal.
Switching off at night is going to make any support issues difficult -
they'll just say "you should be leaving it on"

A similar quote is evidently in the Plusnet manual.

Richard