EU Directive on TV ECO mode?

Old December 29th 14, 06:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

Default EU Directive on TV ECO mode?

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 23:41:49 GMT, Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 13:14:36 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf
wrote:

I didn't realise that the 'picture mode' names "Vivid", "Dynamic", etc,
had industry-agreed definitions which makers all followed. Can someone
point me at the relevant definitions? I think I simply chose the option
with a name like 'Standard', but I'd now need to check.

Who cares what all these modes are called. They are all fu*king hideous.
Pick one and customise it to be right. Then leave it alone and ignore
the rest.

Exactly; that's what I've done.

TVs these days are just a user interface nightmare. God knows how
ordinary people cope with them.

They don't. I set up a TV for a good picture, bit brighter than I like as I
knew what would be expected. No good. Set to shop-roasting mode and it was
lovely!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old December 29th 14, 07:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White[_2_]

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 23:11:03 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

I think that's a bit out of date.

A bit like me, then :-(

Care to rewrite it?

--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.
Old December 29th 14, 08:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , David wrote:
On 28/12/2014 13:53, Andy Burns wrote:
Jim Lesurf wrote:

The TV I bought a few weeks ago certainly needed its brightness, etc,
altering. Ditto for turning off 'overscan'. But I can't recall
altering an 'ECO' setting.

My samsung it was tucked away under menu/picture/advanced/motion
lighting

That's right My new set is a Samsung, I went through several menus
before finding it. Was also annoyed to have to commit to several user
agreements before before it would do the set up for me to use it, I now
feel a Big Brother at Samsung is noting what programs I watch. Regards

Nothing like that here. Although it did confuse the people who delivered
and unpacked the set when they tried - without asking me - to link it via
wireless LAN into my home network...

I don't have a wireless LAN, and don't intend directly connecting the set
to the internet. What I may do sometime is set up a Linux box and use that
to feed the set via HDMI. Hence avoiding any tendency for the set to 'phone
home' etc.

Old December 29th 14, 08:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

wrote:

I didn't realise that the 'picture mode' names "Vivid", "Dynamic",
etc, had industry-agreed definitions which makers all followed. Can
someone point me at the relevant definitions? I think I simply chose
the option with a name like 'Standard', but I'd now need to check.

Who cares what all these modes are called. They are all fu*king hideous.
Pick one and customise it to be right. Then leave it alone and ignore
the rest. TVs these days are just a user interface nightmare. God knows
how ordinary people cope with them.

OK, that confirms my guess that the Torygraph had no clue what they were on
about.

Old December 29th 14, 03:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

brightside S9 wrote:

Right now providing 1.92GW, 4.76%. and it is bloody freezing!

On Friday morning it dropped to nowt.

Old December 29th 14, 04:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

wrote:

I think that's a bit out of date.

A bit like me, then :-(

Care to rewrite it?

Is
https://www.avforums.com/threads/to-...-here.1644359/
or the first link of any use?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old December 29th 14, 04:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White[_2_]

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 17:23:10 +0000, PeterC
wrote:

Is
https://www.avforums.com/threads/to-...-here.1644359/
or the first link of any use?

Well, it was written as a simple, easy to follow guide and I can't
really see why it should need rewriting. But then I wrote it...

Old December 30th 14, 01:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

I think that's a bit out of date.

A bit like me, then :-(

Care to rewrite it?

No, it needs an expert.

Old January 1st 15, 01:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint[_2_]

On 28/12/2014 11:40, Dickie mint wrote:
In a forum for the over 50's this was posted today:
"Yes another EU directive for new tv,s is they must have an ECO setting
this is normally turned on by default to reduce power consumption but if
you want the best picture quality then you must turn it off.
If you have purchased a new tv in the last couple of years and have not
turned it off then do so"

Can't immediately find a reference.

Anyone in these hallowed walls hear of it?

Richard

The BBC have heard about now, too!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30643357

Richard