EU Directive on TV ECO mode?

Old December 28th 14, 04:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default EU Directive on TV ECO mode?

Mark Carver wrote:

The feature though is a positive boon, if you have 'young people'
residing in your house.

It's a shame there isn't a 30 min setting, I've set our lads' sets to 1
hour

A few days ago father shouted, "The telly's gone off! It's gone
completely off!" This being a major emergency I galloped into the living
room where he added, "It came up with a thing saying it was going to
switch off! I just thought it was bluffing, but it actually did switch off!"

Old December 28th 14, 05:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White[_2_]

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 12:19:45 +0000, David wrote:

Bought new TV yesterday got it going at horrible picture and very
disappointed so before returning it I rang a relative who said switch
the ECO Mode off, did so what a difference that made.

See https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...4/TV_Setup.txt

--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.
Old December 28th 14, 09:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 11:40:10 +0000, Dickie mint wrote:

In a forum for the over 50's this was posted today:
"Yes another EU directive for new tv,s is they must have an ECO setting
this is normally turned on by default to reduce power consumption but if
you want the best picture quality then you must turn it off.
If you have purchased a new tv in the last couple of years and have not
turned it off then do so"

Can't immediately find a reference.

Anyone in these hallowed walls hear of it?

Richard

No, but there's a light sensor in my 50" Panny that works well. I've set it
up for a v. good picture in the evenings and it brightens up a bit in
daylight - if I want more in sunny conditions I alter the picture preset as
I've another set up for that purpose.

Runs a about 35W most of the time and about 40W on the other preset.
Dynamic is about 80W!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old December 28th 14, 09:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sunday, December 28, 2014 5:22:44 PM UTC, Bill Wright wrote:
A few days ago father shouted, "The telly's gone off! It's gone
completely off!" This being a major emergency I galloped into the living
room where he added, "It came up with a thing saying it was going to
switch off! I just thought it was bluffing, but it actually did switch off!"

My set top box does that if I haven't used the remote for several hours.

The designers seem not to have anticipated that someone might actually spend christmas day watching three film specials of On The Buses in a row ...
Old December 28th 14, 09:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff[_2_]

So, why invent it in the first place?
Sounds like another buzz word from the marketing department which is of no
use whatsoever.
I recall back in the day, Akai tape decks had ADR automatic distortion
reduction system. Turneed out that it sounded better with it off as
basically it was just a limiter to stop idiots over recording.
I do sometimes wonder if we ever learn.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
wrote:

In a forum for the over 50's this was posted today:
"Yes another EU directive for new tv,s is they must have an ECO setting
this is normally turned on by default to reduce power consumption but if
you want the best picture quality then you must turn it off.
If you have purchased a new tv in the last couple of years and have not
turned it off then do so"

Can't immediately find a reference.

Anyone in these hallowed walls hear of it?

Richard

The Daily Telegraph has heard of it:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...-pictures.html

Don't go ECO
Research by THX (the standards organisation founded by George Lucas)
shows that setting up your TV with a picture mode such as Movie,
Cinema or THX, uses less energy than the default Vivid or Dynamic
mode. The approximate savings were measured to be as low as 15 per
cent and as high as 50 per cent between the two different picture
modes. Since you've already selected the best picture mode in step
one, you're already saving energy. Therefore, if your TV has an
energy saving or Eco mode, turn it OFF! The Eco feature adjusts the
brightness of the entire image on screen, dimming or brightening the
picture in a way that is distracting. By switching this off, the
image is better and you are still saving energy.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)

Old December 28th 14, 10:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

PeterC wrote:

Runs a about 35W most of the time and about 40W on the other preset.
Dynamic is about 80W!

So, 12 hours use on the other preset will save you 5p relative to
Dynamic.

Yippeeee! Let's close down Drax.

Old December 28th 14, 10:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Alan White wrote:
On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 12:19:45 +0000, David wrote:

Bought new TV yesterday got it going at horrible picture and very
disappointed so before returning it I rang a relative who said switch
the ECO Mode off, did so what a difference that made.

See https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...4/TV_Setup.txt

I think that's a bit out of date.

Old December 28th 14, 10:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Norman Wells wrote:
PeterC wrote:

Runs a about 35W most of the time and about 40W on the other preset.
Dynamic is about 80W!

So, 12 hours use on the other preset will save you 5p relative to Dynamic.

Yippeeee! Let's close down Drax.

The real danger here is that this is the thin edge of the wedge. Next
the EU will dictate that TVs must be made so they only consume a certain
amount of power. This will be set so the picture is very dim. What will
we do then? Will the manufacturers make sets where the bright picture
can be 'unlocked' "for export sales", leading to a roaring trade in
unlockers?

I am already wondering where to buy my next vacuum cleaner from. I need
a powerful one. I haven't checked but I wonder if industrial ones are
exempt from the meddlesome greeny rules.

My goodness, the environmental movement has done such a lot of harm
hasn't it? Think of the money we've wasted on windmills, and that's only
one thing.

Old December 28th 14, 10:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 13:14:36 +0000 (GMT), Jim Lesurf
wrote:

I didn't realise that the 'picture mode' names "Vivid", "Dynamic", etc,
had industry-agreed definitions which makers all followed. Can someone
point me at the relevant definitions? I think I simply chose the option
with a name like 'Standard', but I'd now need to check.

Who cares what all these modes are called. They are all fu*king hideous.
Pick one and customise it to be right. Then leave it alone and ignore
the rest.
TVs these days are just a user interface nightmare. God knows how
ordinary people cope with them.
Old December 29th 14, 06:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On Sun, 28 Dec 2014 23:07:42 -0000, Norman Wells wrote:

PeterC wrote:

Runs a about 35W most of the time and about 40W on the other preset.
Dynamic is about 80W!

So, 12 hours use on the other preset will save you 5p relative to
Dynamic.

Yippeeee! Let's close down Drax.

More to the point: it saves me closing down my eyes - oh, and I prefer it
that way if you don't mind.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away