Normal HD TV set or 3D or even 4K?

Old December 27th 14, 10:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_9_]

Default Normal HD TV set or 3D or even 4K?

When purchasing a new TV maybe today my questions to those of you that
have 3D and/or 4K sets are.
When watching normal HD and SD TV do either produce better picture results?
When looking at Samsung which have satellite input which I must have I
see prices for 46 inch to 55 inch are in the area of £700 to £1100 which
to me is little more for 3D and/or 4K over a good brand TV set.
Samsung with Satellite HD are model numbers 6600 up.
Regards
David
Old December 27th 14, 10:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"David" wrote in message
When purchasing a new TV maybe today my questions to those
of you that have 3D and/or 4K sets are.
When watching normal HD and SD TV do either produce better
picture results?
When looking at Samsung which have satellite input which I
must have I see prices for 46 inch to 55 inch are in the
area of 700 to 1100 which to me is little more for 3D
and/or 4K over a good brand TV set.
Samsung with Satellite HD are model numbers 6600 up.
Regards
David

If you have a full HD 1080p set then whatever you watch will
look better simply because it has more pixels. HD ready has
1Mp, full HD has 2Mp.

General opinion is that 3D TV is dying - in fact 3D is dying
in general as not enough people are prepared to pay the
hiked prices. Go look how many 3D TV's are on sale in
Expensive World compared with, say, 18 months ago.

Personally I would not buy a TV with built-in satellite as
most such TV AFAIK are not Sky compatible as such. They will
get freesat OK but you will probably still need a Sky box to
watch anything else. Also if someone makes the decision to
either drop Freesat or change its format you will have to
scrap your TV, whereas if it has an external box then it is
just a new box.

Have a good look around at full HD TV's in the sales. My
F-in-L bought a Samsung UE32H5000 last year for 279 at JLP
(they were 269 at Richers at the time) with a five year
guarantee: EW are now retailing them at 239, down to 199
in the current sale, with the 5500 smart version at 249
(was 329.) JLP are doing them at the same price still with
5 yr guar.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old December 27th 14, 10:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_9_]

On 27/12/2014 11:28, Woody wrote:
"David" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks
Yes I follow that but I do want Freesat HD via a dish as I have now.

Not going to watch 3D on proposed new TV but want to know if they
perform better when watching SD and HD programs, my brother says his do
but would like second opinion.

Not going to have a Sky box.

Again no sources of 4K material but they claim to upscale so again do 4K
sets perform better with SD and HD than normal HD set?

Some Samsung sets are both 3D and 4K so same question applies.

Regards
David
Old December 27th 14, 10:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"David" wrote in message
[...]

If you want to watch Freesat cheaply go along to your local
Cash Converters where you will probably be able to get a Sky
multiroom box for about 20 and it will very likely still
have an expired subscription card in it to get the 'correct'
local channels. (If you run it without a card you will get
BBC1 London and ITV Central West on 101 and 103
respectively.) If it does not have a card and you would like
one it is a once off 25 from Sky. In this instance you are
receiving Freesat-from-Sky - which is the same as Freesat
but with a different EPG.

The box does not have recording so is significantly smaller
than a standard Sky HD box, but it still gets the free HD
channels and is essentially the same tuner inside. I have
two, one in the caravan which I use when on holiday in
Europe, and they work a treat.

Don't be fooled by HD by the way. Much broadcast material,
especially if it is moving like football, is broadcast in
1080i - you will however get 1080p from Blu-Ray discs.

Old December 27th 14, 11:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
the dog from that film you saw

On 27/12/2014 11:56, Woody wrote:

Don't be fooled by HD by the way. Much broadcast material,
especially if it is moving like football, is broadcast in
1080i - you will however get 1080p from Blu-Ray discs.

but you need a 1080p screen to see 1080i at it's best anyway and you'd
be hard pushed to find any 720p screens on sale these days.

--
Gareth.
That fly.... Is your magic wand.
Old December 27th 14, 11:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 27/12/2014 11:56, Woody wrote:

Don't be fooled by HD by the way. Much broadcast material,
especially if it is moving like football, is broadcast in
1080i - you will however get 1080p from Blu-Ray discs.

It'll be 1080-24p, or 1080-25p (that latter is supported (and used)
anyway by DTT) but the holy grail is 1080-50p, something not currently
supported by BluRay

--
Mark
Old December 27th 14, 11:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare

On 27/12/2014 11:12, David wrote:
When purchasing a new TV maybe today my questions to those of you that
have 3D and/or 4K sets are.
When watching normal HD and SD TV do either produce better picture results?
When looking at Samsung which have satellite input which I must have I
see prices for 46 inch to 55 inch are in the area of £700 to £1100 which
to me is little more for 3D and/or 4K over a good brand TV set.
Samsung with Satellite HD are model numbers 6600 up.
Regards
David

3D was never very popular perhaps because of the need for special
glasses. 4K does offer a significantly better picture.

I would look at 4K sets as they probably are the more expensive sets
offering a better picture anyway.

--
Michael Chare
Old December 27th 14, 11:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_9_]

On 27/12/2014 12:22, Michael Chare wrote:
On 27/12/2014 11:12, David wrote:
When purchasing a new TV maybe today my questions to those of you that
have 3D and/or 4K sets are.
When watching normal HD and SD TV do either produce better picture
results?
When looking at Samsung which have satellite input which I must have I
see prices for 46 inch to 55 inch are in the area of £700 to £1100 which
to me is little more for 3D and/or 4K over a good brand TV set.
Samsung with Satellite HD are model numbers 6600 up.
Regards
David

3D was never very popular perhaps because of the need for special
glasses. 4K does offer a significantly better picture.

I would look at 4K sets as they probably are the more expensive sets
offering a better picture anyway.

Thanks Mark that is what I'm asking about.

Regards
David
Old December 27th 14, 11:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 27/12/14 11:28, Woody wrote:
"David" wrote in message
[...]

There may be less, but there are still far too many (although some are
using the fascinating term "3D ready", as though they are expecting it
to come back).

Personally I would not buy a TV with built-in satellite as
most such TV AFAIK are not Sky compatible as such. They will
get freesat OK but you will probably still need a Sky box to
watch anything else. Also if someone makes the decision to
either drop Freesat or change its format you will have to
scrap your TV, whereas if it has an external box then it is
just a new box.

Not sure I understand that. Even if Freesat goes down the tubes, you
will still be able to buy a box able to receive the new "freesat" spec
signal, and simply plug it in to one of your old TV set's HDMI sockets.
Surely there's no need to scrap the TV.

Have a good look around at full HD TV's in the sales. My
F-in-L bought a Samsung UE32H5000 last year for £279 at JLP
(they were £269 at Richers at the time) with a five year
guarantee: EW are now retailing them at £239, down to £199
in the current sale, with the 5500 smart version at £249
(was £329.) JLP are doing them at the same price still with
5 yr guar.

Still have to be careful what it is exactly you are buying. I was
looking at some of the cheaper Pannys, and wondering why the price
differed so much. Although I don't use Netflix, it seems that if you do,
some of the cheaper sets (not just Pannys) can't deal with the codec
that Netflix use for 4K.

--

Jeff
Old December 27th 14, 12:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
On 27/12/14 11:28, Woody wrote:
"David" wrote in message
[...]

The point I was making is that if you buy a set with
built-in Freesat and Freesat goes down the tubes then so des
the TV unless - as you rightly say - you get another
external box to give you the new standard. The OP implied
that he was buying a built-in as he did not want to use an
external box.