Normal HD TV set or 3D or even 4K?

Old December 27th 14, 01:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

Default Normal HD TV set or 3D or even 4K?

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 12:34:12 +0000, David wrote:

On 27/12/2014 12:22, Michael Chare wrote:
On 27/12/2014 11:12, David wrote:
When purchasing a new TV maybe today my questions to those of you that
have 3D and/or 4K sets are.
When watching normal HD and SD TV do either produce better picture
results?
When looking at Samsung which have satellite input which I must have I
see prices for 46 inch to 55 inch are in the area of 700 to 1100 which
to me is little more for 3D and/or 4K over a good brand TV set.
Samsung with Satellite HD are model numbers 6600 up.
Regards
David

3D was never very popular perhaps because of the need for special
glasses. 4K does offer a significantly better picture.

I would look at 4K sets as they probably are the more expensive sets
offering a better picture anyway.

Thanks Mark that is what I'm asking about.

But before you pay extra for a 4k set, ask to see some 4k material on
it at your normal viewing distance - not standing right in front.
Unless you are buying a very large screen you are unlikely to see the
difference.
Old December 27th 14, 01:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 12:51:34 +0000, Jeff Layman
wrote:

Not sure I understand that. Even if Freesat goes down the tubes, you
will still be able to buy a box able to receive the new "freesat" spec
signal, and simply plug it in to one of your old TV set's HDMI sockets.
Surely there's no need to scrap the TV.

Have a good look around at full HD TV's in the sales. My
F-in-L bought a Samsung UE32H5000 last year for 279 at JLP
(they were 269 at Richers at the time) with a five year
guarantee: EW are now retailing them at 239, down to 199
in the current sale, with the 5500 smart version at 249
(was 329.) JLP are doing them at the same price still with
5 yr guar.

Still have to be careful what it is exactly you are buying. I was
looking at some of the cheaper Pannys, and wondering why the price
differed so much. Although I don't use Netflix, it seems that if you do,
some of the cheaper sets (not just Pannys) can't deal with the codec
that Netflix use for 4K.

I wouldn't ever select a new TV just for its built-in decoder. Signal
signal sources and options change too often.
Getting a separate satellite PVR gives you the choice of source and
interface as well as the recording options. I know at least one person
who bought a TV with an integrated satellite receiver but had to buy a
separate box because none of the family could tolerate the TV's
proprietary interface.
Old December 27th 14, 02:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Furniss[_3_]

Mark Carver wrote:
On 27/12/2014 11:56, Woody wrote:

Don't be fooled by HD by the way. Much broadcast material,
especially if it is moving like football, is broadcast in 1080i -
you will however get 1080p from Blu-Ray discs.

It'll be 1080-24p, or 1080-25p (that latter is supported (and used)
anyway by DTT) but the holy grail is 1080-50p, something not
currently supported by BluRay

Well 4K @ 120 fps would be positively divine :-)

On 1080-25p - the BBC at least. still seem to run the same fuzz-o-filter
over it as I guess they do with 1080i.

I know nyquist needs to be observed, and I've read that going from blur
to sharp with motion/still is disconcerting, but 1080p seems to loose
compared to blu-ray because of this. OK there's bitrate, but for a scene
from animation like the dreamworks intro it's quite noticeable.

Also regarding 1080p DTT, the flagging does seem to be a bit inclined to
call progressive as interlaced, any idea why?
Old December 27th 14, 02:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_9_]

Andy Furniss wrote:

Also regarding 1080p DTT, the flagging does seem to be a bit inclined to
call progressive as interlaced, any idea why?

On DTT, the stream can change from "p" to "i" at the drop of a hat to
save bandwidth based on the material type (is there a minimum GOP
length?) that was an issue with my Samsung TV as you can end up with
separate brightness/contrast/saturation settings foe each type of stream
which gives horrid flicker every time it changes back and forth.

Old December 27th 14, 02:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 27/12/2014 14:30, Andy Furniss wrote:

Also regarding 1080p DTT, the flagging does seem to be a bit inclined to
call progressive as interlaced, any idea why?

Don't know. I do notice the encoders like to stick in progressive mode
a bit longer than they should ? Notably on the BBC news, when they mix
from the opening title animation (p) to the live studio camera on the
presenter (i). It will often remain in p mode for that, perhaps due to
the lack of movement ?

--
Mark
Old December 27th 14, 02:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 27/12/2014 14:37, Andy Burns wrote:
Andy Furniss wrote:

Also regarding 1080p DTT, the flagging does seem to be a bit inclined to
call progressive as interlaced, any idea why?

On DTT, the stream can change from "p" to "i" at the drop of a hat to
save bandwidth based on the material type (is there a minimum GOP
length?) that was an issue with my Samsung TV as you can end up with
separate brightness/contrast/saturation settings foe each type of stream
which gives horrid flicker every time it changes back and forth.

Yes, it can (in theory) switch between i and p every GOP period, so 12
frames (or about 0.5 second). And yes, my Sony also requires the 1:1
pixel map mode, and other parameters to be made for both i and p modes
separately

--
Mark
Old December 27th 14, 03:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Furniss[_3_]

Mark Carver wrote:
On 27/12/2014 14:30, Andy Furniss wrote:

Also regarding 1080p DTT, the flagging does seem to be a bit
inclined to call progressive as interlaced, any idea why?

Don't know. I do notice the encoders like to stick in progressive
mode a bit longer than they should ? Notably on the BBC news, when
they mix from the opening title animation (p) to the live studio
camera on the presenter (i). It will often remain in p mode for
that, perhaps due to the lack of movement ?

Maybe, I am really thinking of the opposite case though, where
progressive randomly gets flagged as interlaced.

TBH I rarely watch TV, so this is from looking at samples posted in a
thread on the kodi (nee xbmc) forums. In that case it was causing
disruption because kodi was flipping on/off the h/w de-interlacer that
recent intel cpus have.

Maybe should start a thread on utb some time - if there's anyone there
other than you that knows anyway :-)

From xmas recordings I also notice (probably 6 months late) that the BBC
1 SD is now 704 \0/ (that's not an ironic cheer - it seemed silly and
was inefficient putting 704/2 in 720 with bars).

The Beeb also seem to be doing different from others on the same mux
with HD sound now, in that there is only "heavy" DRC meta in the DVB
extension and no "normal" DRC. I don't know if that's because they pre
apply it now or not (this is 5.1 film - I know they stopped for 2.0 ages
ago).

Do you have any info on this?
Old December 27th 14, 03:28 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 27/12/2014 15:14, Andy Furniss wrote:

Do you have any info on this?

I don't, but I'll ask around !

--
Mark
Old December 27th 14, 05:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Furniss[_3_]

Mark Carver wrote:
On 27/12/2014 15:14, Andy Furniss wrote:

Do you have any info on this?

I don't, but I'll ask around !

Thanks.
Old December 27th 14, 05:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Woody wrote:

If you want to watch Freesat cheaply go along to your local
Cash Converters where you will probably be able to get a Sky
multiroom box for about 20 and it will very likely still
have an expired subscription card in it to get the 'correct'
local channels. (If you run it without a card you will get
BBC1 London and ITV Central West on 101 and 103
respectively.) If it does not have a card and you would like
one it is a once off 25 from Sky. In this instance you are
receiving Freesat-from-Sky - which is the same as Freesat
but with a different EPG.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-...view/goodmans-
gdb18fvzs2-freeview-box-11345077-pdt.html?srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~~~Exact&mctag=gg_g oog_7904&s_
kwcid=AL!3391!3!43562504735!!!g!67784487575!&ef_id =VFqNggAAAbhjJRap:20141227172445:s

This is 22 brand new with a year's guarantee. Proper Freesat EPG.