oh err me picture's gone off

Old December 27th 14, 03:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default oh err me picture's gone off

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20etc%2001.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20etc%2002.jpg

Old December 27th 14, 08:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 27/12/14 03:27, Bill Wright wrote:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20etc%2001.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20etc%2002.jpg

Bill

Well, if you're still using an analogue system you can expect a bit of
snow on the screen...

--

Jeff
Old December 27th 14, 08:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20etc%2001.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20etc%2002.jpg

Replacement yagi methinks given the lateral downtilt?

That of course is what happens when you live on a hillside
in South Yorkshire!

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old December 27th 14, 08:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff[_2_]

Which reminds me..
Apparently some idiot decided to put Christmas lights on his Sky dish and
wondered why his picture kept freezing and going off. Do they not teach
people the fundamentals any more. I'm sure I'd ask before trying to do such
a thing, as for a start you increase windage and might even move the thing,
never mind the obscuring of it.
This was reported on a commercial station I was listening to not the web
over Christmas.

I'd often wondered about all those illuminated Santa's on roofs near
terrestrial aerials as well.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old December 27th 14, 09:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Which reminds me..
Apparently some idiot decided to put Christmas lights on
his Sky dish and wondered why his picture kept freezing
and going off. Do they not teach people the fundamentals
any more. I'm sure I'd ask before trying to do such a
thing, as for a start you increase windage and might even
move the thing, never mind the obscuring of it.
This was reported on a commercial station I was listening
to not the web over Christmas.

I'd often wondered about all those illuminated Santa's on
roofs near terrestrial aerials as well.

I think Brian that many people don't realise that quite a
lot of mains powered LED kit and some battery also is
strobed to reduce avergae consumption - not that they would
understand strobing and its effects anyway!

Old December 27th 14, 05:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Woody wrote:

Replacement yagi methinks given the lateral downtilt?

That of course is what happens when you live on a hillside
in South Yorkshire!

The biggun is on Winter Hill!

Old December 27th 14, 09:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 03:27:56 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20etc%2001.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20etc%2002.jpg

Winter Hill, Emley and the dish.

If we didn't already know where you lived, that picture would have
given you away.
Old December 27th 14, 10:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20etc%2001.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20etc%2002.jpg

Winter Hill, Emley and the dish.

If we didn't already know where you lived, that picture would have
given you away.

Well, you'd be assuming that the cheapy ten ele is looking at Emley
(reasonable assumption; it was put there about twenty years ago as a
'temporary' fix) but the dish could be looking anywhere really. There
again the elevation narrows it down a lot doesn't it? By the way I'm
wondering about experimenting with the dish for 2.4GHz wifi. I know it
wouldn't have a lot of gain but it might be worth messing around.

Old December 28th 14, 12:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]

wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20etc%2001.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20etc%2002.jpg

Winter Hill, Emley and the dish.

If we didn't already know where you lived, that picture would have
given you away.

Shhhhh!
That's how the main protagonist works out where he's been kidnapped to
in the novel I intend to write one day.

Also proves that the town of Weatherfield is in the Sahara desert
(probebly)

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old December 28th 14, 09:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff[_2_]

No probably not, but often just the wire itself could be detrimental,
nevermind the clumsy fitting of the things. I'm sure we must have inherited
this outside Christmas decoration idea from the states, it never used to
happen, all you would see was some lights around a window.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active