oh err me picture's gone off

Old December 29th 14, 09:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johny B Good[_2_]

Default oh err me picture's gone off

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 22:01:17 +0000, Bill Wright

On Sat, 27 Dec 2014 03:27:56 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20etc%2001.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...20etc%2002.jpg

Winter Hill, Emley and the dish.

If we didn't already know where you lived, that picture would have
given you away.

Well, you'd be assuming that the cheapy ten ele is looking at Emley
(reasonable assumption; it was put there about twenty years ago as a
'temporary' fix) but the dish could be looking anywhere really. There
again the elevation narrows it down a lot doesn't it? By the way I'm
wondering about experimenting with the dish for 2.4GHz wifi. I know it
wouldn't have a lot of gain but it might be worth messing around.

The wok antenna enthusiasts were seeing 20dB gains (presumably using
large traditional Chinese woks) when creating 20Km point to point
links using USB WiFi dongles in the 2.4GHz band. I'd imagine you'd get
a good 20dB gain out of a 60cm dish which should be good to extend the
300m open air range of WiFi out to 3Km or so.
--
J B Good

Old December 30th 14, 01:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johny B Good[_2_]

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 03:05:30 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

Johny B Good wrote:

The wok antenna enthusiasts were seeing 20dB gains (presumably using
large traditional Chinese woks) when creating 20Km point to point
links using USB WiFi dongles in the 2.4GHz band. I'd imagine you'd get
a good 20dB gain out of a 60cm dish which should be good to extend the
300m open air range of WiFi out to 3Km or so.

It's a 1.8m dish.

In theory, that would triple the range compared to a 60cm dish so
possibly a range of up to 9 or 10Km to standard WiFi antennaed
portable devices operating in a tightly defined area.

The idea of extending a mountain top to mountain top point to point
link to 180 Km by upgrading 60cm Chinese woks at each end to 1.8mtr
dishes is rather spoilt by the realities of atmospheric effects and
mechanical stability of the dish assemblies and mounts (that's an
awful lot of atmosphere compared to the more usual satellite
propagation path).

Have you any particular purpose in mind for your 1.8 mtr dish
experiment?
--
J B Good
Old December 30th 14, 02:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Johny B Good wrote:

Have you any particular purpose in mind for your 1.8 mtr dish
experiment?

No, just curiosity.

Old December 30th 14, 10:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johny B Good[_2_]

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 15:35:41 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

Johny B Good wrote:

Have you any particular purpose in mind for your 1.8 mtr dish
experiment?

No, just curiosity.

A 'reality check' on the theory for your own amusement[1] then. :-)

If you can get hold of an old fashioned bin lid and/or a traditional
Chinese wok, you'll be able to do some actual dish reflector antenna
comparisons for additional amusement and knowledge.

[1] amusement - an activity that is diverting and that holds the
attention.
--
J B Good
Old December 31st 14, 04:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Johny B Good wrote:

A 'reality check' on the theory for your own amusement[1] then. :-)

As I waited in the maternity hospital for the birth of my daughter (now
39) I sketched out a large parabolic aerial made from curved aluminium
tube. Later I started to make it, but ran out of time and aluminium. I
still have the curved ribs.

Incidentally I scarcely had time to start the sketch. The child was in a
hurry.