And now in International News, an important product recall.

Old December 24th 14, 07:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff[_2_]

Default And now in International News, an important product recall.

Erm, is this really true, or do they have their April fools day in Japan on
23rd December?

23 Dec 2014 at 07:01, Kat Hall
Solar-powered bra manufacturer Triumph International has been forced to
recall 20,000 solar-powered brassieres.
The Japanese lingerie maker is best known for its bra that allows the wearer
to become her own source of renewable energy via a detachable solar panel -
providing much-needed support while simultaneously supporting the
environment.
The bras also come equipped with plastic pouches that can be filled with
water, allowing wearers to quench thirst without having to buy plastic
bottles.
Even less fathomable is the manufacturer's "Abenomics" bra that addressed
the issue of boom and bust economics by honouring Prime Minister Shinzo
Abe's fiscal policy plan the only obvious way.
But it turns out that when it comes to getting the basics right on their
"vanilla" range, Triumph International is not always so reliable.
The manufacturer was forced to recall 20,000 of its standard-issue
brassieres following reports that the underwires started to spontaneously
poke out, sometimes while women were wearing them.
"We are sorry for the bother, but we ask customers to stop using the bras
immediately," the company said in a statement.
Fans of the manufacturer are advised to stick to wearing its solar-powered
bra complete with water pouches to avoid accidentally looking like a tit in
public.
Its not just on one site so...

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old December 24th 14, 07:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_9_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

is this really true, or do they have their April fools day in Japan on
23rd December?

Pasted below is a Japanese to English translation (of sorts) from their
website, for research purposes I did a google image search for TR360WP
and it is a bra but doesn't appear to be solar powered.

===

Peacetime is, received a special patronage in our products, Thank you
very much. This time, Niokima****e bra TR360WP we sold in the country of
Triumph Stores, And penetrate the tape that covers the wire, Wire we
found that there is a possibility of leaving the outside. You can feel
the pain and discomfort by wire hits directly to the skin, Because there
is sometimes fear to hurt the skin, Possible your safety first, The
goods will be voluntary recall.

Old December 24th 14, 09:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 24 Dec 2014 08:33:05 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Erm, is this really true, or do they have their April fools day in Japan on
23rd December?

23 Dec 2014 at 07:01, Kat Hall
Solar-powered bra manufacturer Triumph International has been forced to
recall 20,000 solar-powered brassieres.

As soon as I saw this in a newspaper's website (can't remember which
one), I thought "guess which country", and skimmed down the text in
order to check, and, sure enough-

The Japanese lingerie maker is best known for [... etc]

No surprise at all then. It's probably genuine. The Japanese appear to
be obsessed with the concept of brassieres that perform all manner of
strange and unrelated functions in addition to their essential
gravitationally supportive one. I've lost count of how many similarly
daft contraptions I've seen in various news or exhibition reports. It
just confirms yet again that the Japanese are fundamentally weird.

Very clever, but weird.

Old December 24th 14, 11:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

And they wonder why computers are still stupid.

I still have a laugh at the translation of Internal rod antenna as
Loopstick. I guess the more you go back and forth the worse it will become.

Email:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
.. .

Old December 24th 14, 11:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well, have you seen some of their toilets?
I guess with a mindset which has few boundaries, and a tendency to be drunk
a lot of the time, it might be that they can think outside the box more than
most.

Email:

Old December 24th 14, 11:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Wed, 24 Dec 2014 12:10:03 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

And they wonder why computers are still stupid.

I still have a laugh at the translation of Internal rod antenna as
Loopstick. I guess the more you go back and forth the worse it will
become. Brian

A Chinese Whisper of a Japanese product?

--
Davey.
Old December 24th 14, 11:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_5_]

wrote:

[...]

Rod.

Completely off topic for this group.

Unless...

....The wires are resonant at broadcast TV frequencies.
And bra cups are roughly parabolic aren't they?
And come in diversity pairs.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old December 24th 14, 11:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Davey
writes
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

And they wonder why computers are still stupid.

I still have a laugh at the translation of Internal rod antenna as
Loopstick. I guess the more you go back and forth the worse it will
become. Brian

A Chinese Whisper of a Japanese product?

'Loopstick' was around in the 1950s (American).
--
Ian
Old December 24th 14, 12:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_2_]

My favourite is still 'water-sheep' = 'hydraulic-ram' ...

wrote:

I still have a laugh at the translation of Internal rod antenna as
Loopstick.

UK Residents: If you feel can possibly support it
please sign the following ePetition
before closing time of 30/03/2015 23:59:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/71556
Old December 24th 14, 01:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 24/12/2014 12:10, Brian Gaff wrote:
And they wonder why computers are still stupid.

I still have a laugh at the translation of Internal rod antenna as
Loopstick. I guess the more you go back and forth the worse it will become.

Pepsi Cola came unstuck with their advertising slogan "Come alive with
Pepsi" which in Japanese became "Resurrect your ancestors with Pepsi".
It didn't sell well with that message.

My favourite was the early days of computer translation when they
translated from English to Russian, and then translated back the Russian
thus produced into English, allowing the before and after to be compared.

The Shakespeare quotation "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak"
became "The Vodka's OK but the meat has gone off".