And now in International News, an important product recall.

Old December 28th 14, 07:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

Default And now in International News, an important product recall.

On 25/12/2014 12:10, Ian wrote:
The Shakespeare quotation "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak"
became "The Vodka's OK but the meat has gone off".

I've heard that as "The meat is rotten but there's plenty of booze".

There are probably lots of versions.

Andy

Old December 28th 14, 10:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 24/12/2014 12:10, Brian Gaff wrote:
And they wonder why computers are still stupid.

I still have a laugh at the translation of Internal rod antenna as
Loopstick. I guess the more you go back and forth the worse it will
become.

Pepsi Cola came unstuck with their advertising slogan "Come alive with
Pepsi" which in Japanese became "Resurrect your ancestors with Pepsi". It
didn't sell well with that message.

My favourite was the early days of computer translation when they
translated from English to Russian, and then translated back the Russian
thus produced into English, allowing the before and after to be compared.

The Shakespeare quotation "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak"
became "The Vodka's OK but the meat has gone off".

Made up anecdotes.

Like "Out of sight, out of mind." - "Invisible idiot."

Or "a computer" asked which is better, a watch that loses a second a day or
one that is stopped. (The latter is right twice a day.)

--
Max Demian

Old December 29th 14, 09:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Woolley[_2_]

On 28/12/14 23:35, Max Demian wrote:
Or "a computer" asked which is better, a watch that loses a second a day or
one that is stopped. (The latter is right twice a day.)

I didn't realise Charles Lutwidge Dodgson was a computer! Given he
ceased to operate three years before the death of Babbage, there seems
to be a major hole in the history of computers. :-)

That error makes me think some of the other examples are apocryphal.

(Charles Dodgson is better known under the pen name Lewis Carroll.)
Old December 29th 14, 10:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article , David Woolley
wrote:
On 28/12/14 23:35, Max Demian wrote:
Or "a computer" asked which is better, a watch that loses a second a
day or one that is stopped. (The latter is right twice a day.)

I didn't realise Charles Lutwidge Dodgson was a computer! Given he
ceased to operate three years before the death of Babbage, there seems
to be a major hole in the history of computers. :-)

That error makes me think some of the other examples are apocryphal.

(Charles Dodgson is better known under the pen name Lewis Carroll.)

to complete the story: the original question, is one of his miscellaneous
works entitled "Two Clocks". Dodgson was a mathematics professor at Oxford.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Old January 2nd 15, 04:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Wednesday, December 24, 2014 2:58:42 PM UTC, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 24/12/2014 12:10, Brian Gaff wrote:

The Shakespeare quotation "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak"
became "The Vodka's OK but the meat has gone off".

Cough That's the New Testament, not Shakespeare.
Old January 2nd 15, 04:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

On Wednesday, December 24, 2014 2:58:42 PM UTC, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 24/12/2014 12:10, Brian Gaff wrote:

The Shakespeare quotation "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak"
became "The Vodka's OK but the meat has gone off".

Cough That's the New Testament, not Shakespeare.

I'm sure Shakespeare borrowed it somewhere.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18