And now in International News, an important product recall.

Old December 24th 14, 03:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Default And now in International News, an important product recall.

On Wed, 24 Dec 2014 14:58:43 +0000
Indy Jess John wrote:

On 24/12/2014 12:10, Brian Gaff wrote:
And they wonder why computers are still stupid.

I still have a laugh at the translation of Internal rod antenna as
Loopstick. I guess the more you go back and forth the worse it will
become.

Pepsi Cola came unstuck with their advertising slogan "Come alive
with Pepsi" which in Japanese became "Resurrect your ancestors with
Pepsi". It didn't sell well with that message.

My favourite was the early days of computer translation when they
translated from English to Russian, and then translated back the
Russian thus produced into English, allowing the before and after to
be compared.

The Shakespeare quotation "The spirit is willing but the flesh is
weak" became "The Vodka's OK but the meat has gone off".

Jim

In a hotel in Tijuana, Mexico, several of the restaurant menu items
were listed as "with sauce come white". We didn't try any of those
dishes.

--
Davey.
Old December 24th 14, 03:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 24/12/2014 16:01, Davey wrote:

In a hotel in Tijuana, Mexico, several of the restaurant menu items
were listed as "with sauce come white". We didn't try any of those
dishes.

A French hotel had fire drill printed in several languages.

In English:
"In the event of fire do your best to alarm the hall porter"
Old December 24th 14, 03:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim.....

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 24/12/2014 16:01, Davey wrote:

In a hotel in Tijuana, Mexico, several of the restaurant menu items
were listed as "with sauce come white". We didn't try any of those
dishes.

A French hotel had fire drill printed in several languages.

In English:
"In the event of fire do your best to alarm the hall porter"

message in the French Eurotunnel Terminal (where frankly they ought to be
able to do better) with apologies for some inconvenience or other, ended
with

"we thank you for your comprehension"

tim

Old December 24th 14, 04:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On Wed, 24 Dec 2014 16:30:55 +0000, Indy Jess John wrote:

On 24/12/2014 16:01, Davey wrote:

In a hotel in Tijuana, Mexico, several of the restaurant menu items
were listed as "with sauce come white". We didn't try any of those
dishes.

A French hotel had fire drill printed in several languages.

In English:
"In the event of fire do your best to alarm the hall porter"

About 35 years ago, at a gate from le Mont St. Michel on to the beach was a
notice warning about the very fast tide. It was someting like "...this can
surprise you at each time".
Victor Borge might have written it...!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old December 24th 14, 04:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
Indy Jess John wrote:
On 24/12/2014 16:01, Davey wrote:

In a hotel in Tijuana, Mexico, several of the restaurant menu items
were listed as "with sauce come white". We didn't try any of those
dishes.

A French hotel had fire drill printed in several languages.

In English:
"In the event of fire do your best to alarm the hall porter"

found by Gerard Hoffnung (so he said)
"There is a French widow in every bedroom".

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Old December 24th 14, 05:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 24/12/2014 17:45, charles wrote:

found by Gerard Hoffnung (so he said)
"There is a French widow in every bedroom".

"... affording delightful prospects"
Old December 24th 14, 06:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Indy Jess John wrote:
On 24/12/2014 17:45, charles wrote:

found by Gerard Hoffnung (so he said)
"There is a French widow in every bedroom".

"... affording delightful prospects"

On the handlebars of our Honda 50: Preserve nature wear a helmet.

Old December 25th 14, 07:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On Wed, 24 Dec 2014 17:45:32 +0000 (GMT), charles wrote:

In article ,
Indy Jess John wrote:
On 24/12/2014 16:01, Davey wrote:

In a hotel in Tijuana, Mexico, several of the restaurant menu items
were listed as "with sauce come white". We didn't try any of those
dishes.

A French hotel had fire drill printed in several languages.

In English:
"In the event of fire do your best to alarm the hall porter"

found by Gerard Hoffnung (so he said)
"There is a French widow in every bedroom".

Ah, yes, I meant Hoffnung - memory and all that.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old December 25th 14, 11:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian

In message , Indy Jess John
writes
On 24/12/2014 12:10, Brian Gaff wrote:
And they wonder why computers are still stupid.

I still have a laugh at the translation of Internal rod antenna as
Loopstick. I guess the more you go back and forth the worse it will become.

Pepsi Cola came unstuck with their advertising slogan "Come alive with
Pepsi" which in Japanese became "Resurrect your ancestors with Pepsi".
It didn't sell well with that message.

My favourite was the early days of computer translation when they
translated from English to Russian, and then translated back the
Russian thus produced into English, allowing the before and after to be
compared.

The Shakespeare quotation "The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak"
became "The Vodka's OK but the meat has gone off".

Jim

Does anyone remember the Mitsubishi Colt Starion?

No doubt it was named to be in keeping with the equine theme, but I
suspect the information was given during a telephone call between Japan
and the UK.
--
Ian
Old December 27th 14, 01:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johny B Good[_2_]

On Wed, 24 Dec 2014 12:10:03 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

And they wonder why computers are still stupid.

I still have a laugh at the translation of Internal rod antenna as
Loopstick. I guess the more you go back and forth the worse it will become.
Brian

"Loopstick" is 'American' for Ferrite Rod Antenna. I've just googled
it to confirm my memory of this americanism from the 60s and 70s.

https://www.google.co.uk/images?client=opera&rls=en&q=Loopstick&oe=utf-8&channel=suggest&gws_rd=ssl&hl=en&sa=X&oi=image_r esult_group&ei=p7ueVMyYFMXqaKP5gMAF&ved=0CBQQsAQ

and

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/index1/loopstick.html
--