OT magnetron service life

Old January 1st 15, 02:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JohnT[_9_]

Default OT magnetron service life

"Paul Ratcliffe" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 08:44:28 +0000, Indy Jess John
wrote:

I have a Toshiba ER-672 with a mechanical timer and a bell. Yes, it goes
'ding' and just once too. I've had it for 30 years and 7 months and in
that time I've only had one failure, the globe. That was until yesterday
when it started making a loud buzzing noise. Time to retire it and get a
new one I thought. That was until I read copious on-line reviews
complaining about the extremely poor quality and reliability of modern
microwave ovens.

My Mum bought one of the early Panasonic microwaves, also with
mechanical timer. She used it at least once every day.

It never went wrong. When she died, my sister gave it to a charity shop.

I don't think it was 30 years old, but it was certainly more than 20.
And you are right about the modern ones not lasting so long. I am using
the third I have bought since my Mum bought hers.

My mother's is about 30 and mine is 23. Both Panasonic. Both work well.

Dunno what the relevance to digital TV is though.

None, because it is identified as OT
--
JohnT

Old January 1st 15, 05:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

JohnT wrote:

My mother's is about 30 and mine is 23. Both Panasonic. Both work well.

Dunno what the relevance to digital TV is though.

None, because it is identified as OT

It when they don't get OT that you have to chuck them. And this damned
chair is driving me mad.

Old January 1st 15, 05:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Brian Gaff wrote:
Well, I've never had one go. Modern machines cut the power if the standing
waves get back to the Magnetron to protect the things guts.

Of course yours may not be that sophisticated.
The Microwaves generally though do seem to make a loud buzz assumedly this
is the transformer rattling at 50 hz. Nobody has made a switch mode supply
big enough and safe enough I'd suspect.
Brian

I've got one my Dad got for 19.95 from Aldi or somesuch place. It works
OK but starts afresh if you merely close the door, even if you've taken
the grub out. That makes it flash lightning bolts inside, and it sets
fire to the ****e on the sides and top (inside I mean, not the ****e
stood on the machine.)

Anyway, this squeaky chair is driving me bananas.

Old January 1st 15, 08:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris

On 01/01/2015 18:56, Bill Wright wrote:

Anyway, this squeaky chair is driving me bananas.

try uk.d-i-y

Andy
Old January 2nd 15, 01:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Vir Campestris wrote:
On 01/01/2015 18:56, Bill Wright wrote:

Anyway, this squeaky chair is driving me bananas.

try uk.d-i-y

They just talk of oil. But the oil is in another room, and I would have
to stand up to get it. Then I would have to apply the oil to the chair.
There are limits you know.

Old January 2nd 15, 08:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

Bill Wright wrote:
Vir Campestris wrote:
On 01/01/2015 18:56, Bill Wright wrote:

Anyway, this squeaky chair is driving me bananas.

try uk.d-i-y

They just talk of oil. But the oil is in another room, and I would
have to stand up to get it. Then I would have to apply the oil to the
chair.

No you wouldn't. You see, the chair would have stopped squeaking by
then and the problem would have been solved.