Too much news

Old November 23rd 13, 05:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Too much news

Is there too much news being broadcast. I mean its everywhere these days,
even 24 hour if you want it.
I'm not sure, I used to think that lots of different takes on the news were
good things, listening to the short wave stations with their completely
different angles on stories.
However now I've noticed that although rt and the Arab funded channels do
sort of have different angles, its drifting more and more back to a mundane
kind of mid way of looking at stuff and goings on.

Were we happy when we could not find out so much from the heart of the event
I wonder?

Is it an addiction?

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old November 23rd 13, 06:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Another John

In article ,
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Is there too much news being broadcast. I mean its everywhere these days,
even 24 hour if you want it.

I was away on my own last weekend, at a place up in the hills. For three
days, I never once switched on the radio or the TV: it was fantastic.
Since I came back, I myself haven't ever switched the radio (or TV) on
here at home.

Unfortunately the wife lives in Radio 2 land, dawn til dusk... Hmph: I
suppose it's *useful* to hear the headlines *now and again*.

I have to confess (maybe I'm getting more curmudgeonly) that when
there's no sensational UK stories, and thusthey spread their net wider,
to tell us of atrocities or disasters in foreign parts, my reaction
these days is usually: "Yes. And?" I mean: what do they want me to
do? Just feel a bit more miserable, and that will make the world a
better place?

John
Old November 23rd 13, 08:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_2_]

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 17:40:24 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Is there too much news being broadcast. I mean its everywhere these days,
even 24 hour if you want it.
I'm not sure, I used to think that lots of different takes on the news were
good things, listening to the short wave stations with their completely
different angles on stories.
However now I've noticed that although rt and the Arab funded channels do
sort of have different angles, its drifting more and more back to a mundane
kind of mid way of looking at stuff and goings on.

Were we happy when we could not find out so much from the heart of the event
I wonder?

Is it an addiction?

Brian

Some time ago I suggested that this country needs a national radio
rolling news service, but it transpired that I was in a minority of
one :-(

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old November 23rd 13, 09:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 23/11/2013 20:53, Graham. wrote:

Some time ago I suggested that this country needs a national radio
rolling news service, but it transpired that I was in a minority of
one :-(

We don't have any proper TV news channels anyway, both just repeat
the same daily three or four stories over and over and over and over and
over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and
over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Compare with the number of stories you find in the broadsheets every day.

--
Mark
Old November 24th 13, 06:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Mark Carver wrote:

We don't have any proper TV news channels anyway, both just repeat
the same daily three or four stories over and over and over and over and
over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and
over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Compare with the number of stories you find in the broadsheets every day.

Yes. It wouldn't hurt them to have a main bulletin on the hour and the
headlines every 15 mins and then a three hour rotating set of different
stories for the rest of the time.

I've been doing a lot of late night work in the workshop and out of
laziness I haven't had iPlayer down there, so I've just resorted to Sky
News and the BBC news channel. Jesus they repeat ever so quick. There's
some relief with the Channel 4 spin-off channels, like Embarrassing
Bodies, but that's a distraction really. I mean, I have my eyeballs
focussed on the end of the soldering iron and Dr Christian says, "Cor
blimey luv a duck, I ain't never seen one like that before! **** me! How
the hell do you go to the lavatory with that?" and I'm bound to end up
burning my finger end. It's just natural human curiosity, plus a bit of
schadenfreude. So anyway, I nicked a PVR from stock and set it up to
tape all my favourite R4 progs. Came a cropper tonight though. Listened
to 'Archive on 4' which was on the seemingly innocuous subject of
'emotion through the ages' and found to my dismay it was hopelessly
biased to the left. Lots about the social and class iniquities of the
past (fair enough but they milked it) then, Churchill was an evil man,
Scargill was a hero, Thatch was a witch, etc etc. Turned it off just
before the end.

Old November 24th 13, 09:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Hmm, well who sits in front of a tv watching rolling news. We used to have
talk radio which transmogrified into talk sport after a while, so one
assumes commercial interests would not advrtise on a rolling news station.
Interesting ITN closed their rolling news station yet, Sky seem to manage
OK. The BBC news is now so boring as to be pointless.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old November 24th 13, 09:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes, lazy programming, as I suspect the bbc have not got the staff,
experienced or otherwise, or people in the field to give a different take on
things, as they used to have.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old November 24th 13, 09:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Bowing to the old problem of stereotyping complex characters. Why do we seem
to want to shove people into pigeon holes in this way. I bet none of the
people who worked on that programme were even born when Churchill was alive.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active