Soft BBC - AGAIN

Old November 22nd 13, 07:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

Default Soft BBC - AGAIN

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Yes, its ridiculous as often there is war footage on other
channels during the day, like Yesterday where there is mass
killings and injuries, so are wars OK if the majority of the
people are not known persons?
All they need to do for new viewers is warn about it for
goodness sake.

I'm also a bit unimpressed by the statements you hear before
the shots of press conferences of may contain flash
photography. well um, its a press conference, what might you
expect.
Like may things, tv broadcasts should all contain the warning,
may contain nuts, usually in charge of the scripts.

I also have to laugh when it says later on at night contains
strong language and adult themes from the start. Not really
that helpful.

Embarrassing bodies it seems contains full or partial nudity
and scenes of medical procedures, Ah, I'd never have guessed
that.
Its even more obvious on stations like Really where a similar
announcement about medical procedures occurs when the
programme has the words surgical, medical, or similar in their
titles!

I just wonder if there really are such clueless people out
there, or if its just some kind of perception by broadcasters
that their viewers are all thick as a brick.

Note this newsgroup may contain off topic messages.

+1

The lunatics have certainly taken over the asylum.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old November 22nd 13, 10:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Woody
writes

The 'standard'
sizes for monochrome sets in those days were 19" and 23" 405
line.

19"? You were lucky! When I were a lad, we had to make do with a 17".
But we were lucky. There were still quite a few 14" sets around.

--
Ian
Old November 22nd 13, 11:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Ian Jackson" wrote in
message ...
In message , Woody
writes

The 'standard'
sizes for monochrome sets in those days were 19" and 23" 405
line.

19"? You were lucky! When I were a lad, we had to make do with
a 17". But we were lucky. There were still quite a few 14" sets
around.

--
Ian

Oldie!

Although I would admit that later 17/21/24 became more common,
especially as colour sets started to appear.

Old November 23rd 13, 04:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Ian Jackson wrote:

19"? You were lucky! When I were a lad, we had to make do with a 17".
But we were lucky. There were still quite a few 14" sets around.

The sets I used to connect to the ceiling rose while my dad was on the
roof doing the aerial were mostly 12".

Old November 23rd 13, 08:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Ian Jackson wrote:

19"? You were lucky! When I were a lad, we had to make do with
a 17". But we were lucky. There were still quite a few 14"
sets around.

The sets I used to connect to the ceiling rose while my dad was
on the roof doing the aerial were mostly 12".

Bill

You mean you didn't have a Pye VT4???

Old November 23rd 13, 01:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
I'm Old Gregg[_3_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Nov 2013 22:44:42 +0000, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Woody
writes

The 'standard'
sizes for monochrome sets in those days were 19" and 23" 405
line.

19"? You were lucky! When I were a lad, we had to make do with a 17".
But we were lucky. There were still quite a few 14" sets around.

Luxury! We had a 12" TV

We had a 12", but ours was a Big12, Regentone I think, only had 1 channel
though.

Old November 23rd 13, 05:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Michael Chare[_3_]

On 22/11/2013 19:39, Woody wrote:
"Michael Chare" [email protected] wrote in

Regrettably you are shwoing your age Michael.

Well maybe the age of the TV we had at home at the time. It had been
modified with a box on the top so that it could receive ITV.

My mother recently told me that when she was young, she did not get to
listen to the radio as often as she would have liked because there were
only 3 sets of headphones which were taken by her father and two elder
brothers.

--
Michael Chare
Old November 25th 13, 12:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Friday, November 22, 2013 10:44:42 PM UTC, Ian Jackson wrote:
19"? You were lucky! When I were a lad, we had to make do with a 17".
But we were lucky. There were still quite a few 14" sets around.

Until quite recently I used to have a 10" B/W for CCTV use.

Owain

Old November 25th 13, 03:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:
On Friday, November 22, 2013 10:44:42 PM UTC, Ian Jackson wrote:
19"? You were lucky! When I were a lad, we had to make do with a 17".
But we were lucky. There were still quite a few 14" sets around.

Until quite recently I used to have a 10" B/W for CCTV use.

Owain

I have one on the shelf. Can't bear to sling it. It's just above the
pile of lovely old analogue tellys, the four lovely old Panasonic VCRs
and the lovely old Mitsubishi CCTV VCR. I could do with more space in
that room. I have a lot of Pace analogue Sky boxes on the floor in the
workshop, and they are in the way. There's also a large box of LNBs.
They're the ones that don't switch bands. On the shelf near the 10"
monitor is a box of 75/300 baluns, in case FM tuners with 300 ohm aerial
inputs (only) ever come back. Also on the shelf are five boxes of 100
Hiatts lead-headed wall nails in case the Common Market ever declares
plastic-headed ones to be a health & safety hazard. On the cable rack is
a drum of 'standard' coax, for when we start using BI again for TV.
There's also half a drum of 300 ohm ribbon feeder. In the room where I
keep aerials there's not much room for new stock because of the huge
pile of special 'channel 67' narrowband aerials for Crosspool analogue
C5. Will it ever come back I ask myself? One good thing, I'll be ready
if people start wanting AM aerials installing, with a pole at the end of
the yard. I have half a box of egg insulators. Father said, "Don't chuck
them away, they might come in."