Samsing UE55F6800

Old November 20th 13, 12:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pinnerite[_2_]

Default Samsing UE55F6800

I have just set one of these up. Impressive picture etc but when it scans
for channels it ignores all the HD channels. I cannot fathom why.

Mageia 3 for x86_64, Kernel: 3.8.13.4 -desktop-1.mga3
KDE version 4.10.5 Running on an AMD 4-core processor

Old November 20th 13, 03:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Pinnerite wrote:
I have just set one of these up. Impressive picture etc but when it scans
for channels it ignores all the HD channels. I cannot fathom why.

It could be because you have Samuel's vocal performance set in the
present instead of the past.

Old November 20th 13, 06:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_8_]

Pinnerite wrote:

I have just set one of these up. Impressive picture etc but when it scans
for channels it ignores all the HD channels. I cannot fathom why.

If you bought it after seeing the "Full HD" and assumed that it would be
able to receive HD progammes from an aerial, you're sadly wrong, should
have looked for the phrase "Freeview HD" instead.

From the Samsung website "DTV Tuner: DVB-T/C/S2" the HD channels need
DVB-T2.

So it should receive HD if you connect it to a satellite dish, otherwise
it can display HD programmes from an external box over HDMI (Freeview
HD, bluray player, PS4, PVR etc)

Old November 20th 13, 08:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Farrance

Andy Burns wrote:

Pinnerite wrote:

I have just set one of these up. Impressive picture etc but when it scans
for channels it ignores all the HD channels. I cannot fathom why.

If you bought it after seeing the "Full HD" and assumed that it would be
able to receive HD progammes from an aerial, you're sadly wrong, should
have looked for the phrase "Freeview HD" instead.

From the Samsung website "DTV Tuner: DVB-T/C/S2" the HD channels need
DVB-T2.

Yep. That's how the "Series 6" TVs are specified on the Samsung website in
contrast to the Series 7 and 8 TVs that are specified:
"DTV Tuner: Freeview HD / Freesat HD".

Seems to be a widespread misapprehension, though. Amazon specify it as
having Freeview-HD and the Which review says it has Freeview-HD.

Pinnerite, where did you buy it from?

Old November 20th 13, 10:04 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_9_]

"Pinnerite" wrote in message ...

Dave Farrance wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Pinnerite wrote:

I have just set one of these up. Impressive picture etc but when it
scans for channels it ignores all the HD channels. I cannot fathom why.

If you bought it after seeing the "Full HD" and assumed that it would be
able to receive HD progammes from an aerial, you're sadly wrong, should
have looked for the phrase "Freeview HD" instead.

From the Samsung website "DTV Tuner: DVB-T/C/S2" the HD channels need

--

******

Looking at Amazon they claim it to have Freeview HD and Freesat HD

Regards
David

Old November 20th 13, 10:11 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pinnerite[_2_]

Dave Farrance wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Pinnerite wrote:

I have just set one of these up. Impressive picture etc but when it
scans for channels it ignores all the HD channels. I cannot fathom why.

If you bought it after seeing the "Full HD" and assumed that it would be
able to receive HD progammes from an aerial, you're sadly wrong, should
have looked for the phrase "Freeview HD" instead.

From the Samsung website "DTV Tuner: DVB-T/C/S2" the HD channels need
DVB-T2.

Yep. That's how the "Series 6" TVs are specified on the Samsung website in
contrast to the Series 7 and 8 TVs that are specified:
"DTV Tuner: Freeview HD / Freesat HD".

Seems to be a widespread misapprehension, though. Amazon specify it as
having Freeview-HD and the Which review says it has Freeview-HD.

Pinnerite, where did you buy it from?

I have just spoken with Amazon who insist that it should receive Freeview HD
and are planning to replace it with an identical model. I await events with
frustration!

Old November 20th 13, 10:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_9_]

I take it your location and transmitter does have HD transmitted?

I did have to improve my aerial to get HD even though normal was being
received.

Regards
David

"Pinnerite" wrote in message ...

Dave Farrance wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Pinnerite wrote:

I have just set one of these up. Impressive picture etc but when it
scans for channels it ignores all the HD channels. I cannot fathom why.

If you bought it after seeing the "Full HD" and assumed that it would be
able to receive HD progammes from an aerial, you're sadly wrong, should
have looked for the phrase "Freeview HD" instead.

From the Samsung website "DTV Tuner: DVB-T/C/S2" the HD channels need

Old November 20th 13, 10:46 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 20/11/2013 10:37, David wrote:
I take it your location and transmitter does have HD transmitted?

Every DTT transmitter in the UK carries the main HD mux (PSB 3)

I did have to improve my aerial to get HD even though normal was being
received.

That *could* be an issue, yes.

--
Mark