Samsing UE55F6800

Old November 20th 13, 11:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Farrance

Default Samsing UE55F6800

Pinnerite wrote:

I have just spoken with Amazon who insist that it should receive Freeview HD
and are planning to replace it with an identical model. I await events with
frustration!

Oh. So you're going to have to wait for that now. In the meantime,
gather your evidence, and learn how to "escalate".

http://lifehacker.com/5330465/use-es...e-issues-along
Old November 20th 13, 11:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

"David" wrote in message
I take it your location and transmitter does have HD transmitted?

I did have to improve my aerial to get HD even though normal was being
received.

"Pinnerite" wrote in message ...

Dave Farrance wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Pinnerite wrote:

I have just set one of these up. Impressive picture etc but when it
scans for channels it ignores all the HD channels. I cannot fathom why.

If you bought it after seeing the "Full HD" and assumed that it would be
able to receive HD progammes from an aerial, you're sadly wrong, should
have looked for the phrase "Freeview HD" instead.

From the Samsung website "DTV Tuner: DVB-T/C/S2" the HD channels need
DVB-T2.

Yep. That's how the "Series 6" TVs are specified on the Samsung website
in
contrast to the Series 7 and 8 TVs that are specified:
"DTV Tuner: Freeview HD / Freesat HD".

Seems to be a widespread misapprehension, though. Amazon specify it as
having Freeview-HD and the Which review says it has Freeview-HD.

Pinnerite, where did you buy it from?

I have just spoken with Amazon who insist that it should receive Freeview
HD
and are planning to replace it with an identical model. I await events
with
frustration!

I think you'll have to respectfully point them to the website and ask them
for a refund or upgrade to a TV that receives DVB-T2. That's if you can get
them to understand the "DTV Tuner: DVB-T/C/S2" gobbledegook. I would have
Samsung could have made their website clearer - like the old HD/HD
ready/full HD nonsense.

--
Max Demian

Old November 20th 13, 12:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Furniss[_4_]

"Pinnerite" wrote in message

Dave Farrance wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Pinnerite wrote:

I have just set one of these up. Impressive picture etc but
when it scans for channels it ignores all the HD channels. I
cannot fathom why.

If you bought it after seeing the "Full HD" and assumed that it
would be able to receive HD progammes from an aerial, you're
sadly wrong, should have looked for the phrase "Freeview HD"
instead.

From the Samsung website "DTV Tuner: DVB-T/C/S2" the HD
channels need DVB-T2.

Yep. That's how the "Series 6" TVs are specified on the Samsung
website in contrast to the Series 7 and 8 TVs that are
specified: "DTV Tuner: Freeview HD / Freesat HD".

Seems to be a widespread misapprehension, though. Amazon specify
it as having Freeview-HD and the Which review says it has
Freeview-HD.

Pinnerite, where did you buy it from?

I have just spoken with Amazon who insist that it should receive
Freeview HD and are planning to replace it with an identical model.
I await events with frustration!

I think you'll have to respectfully point them to the website and ask
them for a refund or upgrade to a TV that receives DVB-T2. That's if
you can get them to understand the "DTV Tuner: DVB-T/C/S2"
gobbledegook. I would have Samsung could have made their website
clearer - like the old HD/HD ready/full HD nonsense.

Maybe it's the Samsung site that's giving incomplete info - there are a
lot of reviews on Amazon (OK not all for the 55"), but not one of them
claims missing Freeview HD.

Old November 20th 13, 12:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Farrance

Andy Furniss wrote:

Maybe it's the Samsung site that's giving incomplete info - there are a
lot of reviews on Amazon (OK not all for the 55"), but not one of them
claims missing Freeview HD.

And a quick Google of "UE55F6800 Freeview-HD" shows _lots_ of reviews
saying that it has Freeview HD, so yes, I'm thinking weak signal issues.
Old November 20th 13, 02:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Dave Farrance wrote:

Yep. That's how the "Series 6" TVs are specified on the Samsung website in
contrast to the Series 7 and 8 TVs that are specified:
"DTV Tuner: Freeview HD / Freesat HD".

Seems to be a widespread misapprehension, though. Amazon specify it as
having Freeview-HD and the Which review says it has Freeview-HD.

Pinnerite, where did you buy it from?

I had a customer who bought a 'full HD' set that didn't have DVB T2.
The shop had assured him (I'd warned him) that it would receive HD from
an aerial. There followed a barney, but in the end he got his money back.

Old November 20th 13, 02:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Pinnerite wrote:
Dave Farrance wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Pinnerite wrote:

I have just set one of these up. Impressive picture etc but when it
scans for channels it ignores all the HD channels. I cannot fathom why.
If you bought it after seeing the "Full HD" and assumed that it would be
able to receive HD progammes from an aerial, you're sadly wrong, should
have looked for the phrase "Freeview HD" instead.

From the Samsung website "DTV Tuner: DVB-T/C/S2" the HD channels need
DVB-T2.

Yep. That's how the "Series 6" TVs are specified on the Samsung website in
contrast to the Series 7 and 8 TVs that are specified:
"DTV Tuner: Freeview HD / Freesat HD".

Seems to be a widespread misapprehension, though. Amazon specify it as
having Freeview-HD and the Which review says it has Freeview-HD.

Pinnerite, where did you buy it from?

I have just spoken with Amazon who insist that it should receive Freeview HD
and are planning to replace it with an identical model. I await events with
frustration!

Fact is they just don't know. See my other post. That was Currys.

Old November 20th 13, 02:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David[_9_]

"Bill Wright" wrote in message ...

Dave Farrance wrote:

Yep. That's how the "Series 6" TVs are specified on the Samsung website in
contrast to the Series 7 and 8 TVs that are specified:
"DTV Tuner: Freeview HD / Freesat HD".

Seems to be a widespread misapprehension, though. Amazon specify it as
having Freeview-HD and the Which review says it has Freeview-HD.

Pinnerite, where did you buy it from?

I had a customer who bought a 'full HD' set that didn't have DVB T2.
The shop had assured him (I'd warned him) that it would receive HD from
an aerial. There followed a barney, but in the end he got his money back.

Bill

******

My Tesco is a very large one and the sets do not say on them they get
Freeview HD with a couple of exceptions, some on Tesco price label even say
HD ready.
The few that are still in makers boxes do not mention Freeview at all or DVB
T spec.

I think anyone buying from anywhere should note the model number and return
home and look it up on the web if they want HD.

Seems the makers and sellers are out to confuse the public in this country,
is it the same in other countries?

Regards
David

Old November 20th 13, 03:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 14:47:31 +0000, brightside S9
wrote:

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 08:51:57 +0000, Dave Farrance
wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Pinnerite wrote:

I have just set one of these up. Impressive picture etc but when it scans
for channels it ignores all the HD channels. I cannot fathom why.

If you bought it after seeing the "Full HD" and assumed that it would be
able to receive HD progammes from an aerial, you're sadly wrong, should
have looked for the phrase "Freeview HD" instead.

From the Samsung website "DTV Tuner: DVB-T/C/S2" the HD channels need
DVB-T2.

Yep. That's how the "Series 6" TVs are specified on the Samsung website in
contrast to the Series 7 and 8 TVs that are specified:
"DTV Tuner: Freeview HD / Freesat HD".

Samsung specify Freeview HD and Freesat HD for the 40" F6800.

No wonder there is confusion!

The online spec for the UE55F6800SB says:
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/t...UE55F6800SBXXU
and
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/t...6800SBXXU-spec

DTV Tuner: DVB-T/C/S2

I think that means DVB-T which will get digital terrestrial (Freeview)
SD broadcasts, DVB-C which is for cable, and DVB-S2 which is satellite
SD and HD.

There is no mention of DVB-T2 which is necessary for digital terrestrial
HD broadcasts.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old November 20th 13, 03:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

David wrote:

Seems the makers and sellers are out to confuse the public in this
country, is it the same in other countries?

No. It's different in the Middle East. The Arabs are of course well
respected throughout the world for their honesty and straight dealing.
It's their culture.