New Telly Advice

Old November 1st 13, 02:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Rob Gibson[_2_]

Default New Telly Advice

As much as I don't want to, it's time to pension-off my trusty 28" Sony
widescreen CRT telly. It is still working, but too big for our living room
now (and ruddy heavy having just moved it!).

So, ideas and suggestions for a replacement? I was thinking of a 32 - 40"
flat panel. Not plasma (RFI issues). Picture quality is paramount.
Connectivity, looks, multi-tuners, etc., all secondary. A good colour
palette is important as are a good black and shadow detail.

I have to say that, so far, none of the sets I've seen come close to the CRT
for colour. Picture geometry and sharpness are excellent, but they all look
slightly wrong colour-wise. Motion blur seems to be an issue with some sets
too.

Can spend up to 1000.

Old November 1st 13, 02:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scion

Martin put finger to keyboard:

On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 14:02:22 -0000, "Rob Gibson"
[email protected] wrote:

As much as I don't want to, it's time to pension-off my trusty 28" Sony
widescreen CRT telly. It is still working, but too big for our living
room now (and ruddy heavy having just moved it!).

So, ideas and suggestions for a replacement? I was thinking of a 32 -
40" flat panel. Not plasma (RFI issues). Picture quality is paramount.
Connectivity, looks, multi-tuners, etc., all secondary. A good colour
palette is important as are a good black and shadow detail.

I have to say that, so far, none of the sets I've seen come close to the
CRT for colour. Picture geometry and sharpness are excellent, but they
all look slightly wrong colour-wise. Motion blur seems to be an issue
with some sets too.

Can spend up to £1000.

Samsung, Sony or Phillips.

If anything colour wise our flat screen Sony is better than our old CRT
Sony.
I think motion blur is a thing of the past.

There are still TVs available with the motion blur accessory :-)

I would add LG and Panasonic to the list of manufacturers worth a look.

Can't advise on colour palette though. One thing - the larger the screen,
the more noticeable the compression artifacts will be.
Old November 1st 13, 03:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scion

Martin put finger to keyboard:

[email protected] wrote:

[...]

Until two or three years ago it was standard at no extra charge. ;-)

I would add LG and Panasonic to the list of manufacturers worth a look.

Can't advise on colour palette though. One thing - the larger the
screen,
the more noticeable the compression artifacts will be.

I've noticed differences in colour quality between two models of
Samsung.

I don't doubt it. I looked at Panasonics recently and there were marked
differences between different models - the blackness of the black, overall
colour quality and viewing angle, to name but three.

This was in a Panasonic store so I would expect them all to be displayed
with optimum settings.
Old November 1st 13, 04:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Scion
writes

wrote:

Martin put finger to keyboard:

I think motion blur is a thing of the past.

There are still TVs available with the motion blur accessory :-)

Until two or three years ago it was standard at no extra charge. ;-)

Is motion blur really a thing of the past, or have our eyes generally
got used to it? Even on my now-ageing, low-cost Linsar TV, I can't
really say that I notice it like I used to.
--
Ian

---

Old November 1st 13, 04:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton

[email protected] wrote:

[...]

Agreed, one or two other probably too.

Can't advise on colour palette though. One thing - the larger the screen,
the more noticeable the compression artifacts will be.

Indeed, get a screen the right size for the room (e.g. 42" at 10-12foot).

Ensure you get full HD, although this is not much of an issue on large non
plasma sets now.
Consider Freesat HD or Freeview HD, unless you are having $ky HD.
Consider cheap AV receiver / amp (e.g. Sony 520) for sound as most flat
screen sets have tinny sound due to their geometry.

You may need to tinker with the colour. The best sets may allow gamma
correction.

Old November 1st 13, 04:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Ian Jackson wrote:

Is motion blur really a thing of the past, or have our eyes generally
got used to it? Even on my now-ageing, low-cost Linsar TV, I can't
really say that I notice it like I used to.

No, although the broadcasters have helped with that perception, by largely
abandoning high speed horizontal scrolling captions and titles !

--
Mark
Old November 1st 13, 04:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Mark Carver
writes
Ian Jackson wrote:

Is motion blur really a thing of the past, or have our eyes generally
got used to it? Even on my now-ageing, low-cost Linsar TV, I can't
really say that I notice it like I used to.

No, although the broadcasters have helped with that perception, by largely
abandoning high speed horizontal scrolling captions and titles !

But they've made things worse by the increased use of constantly
wobbling, hand-held cameras (supposedly for dramatic effect)!
--
Ian

---

Old November 1st 13, 05:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Fri, 1 Nov 2013 16:22:20 -0000, "R. Mark Clayton"
wrote:

Can't advise on colour palette though. One thing - the larger the screen,
the more noticeable the compression artifacts will be.

Indeed, get a screen the right size for the room (e.g. 42" at 10-12foot).

I made some mockups with sheets of paper stuck together and blu-tacked
to the wall, till I was happy with the size and position that looked
right. I think it's worth taking a bit of trouble with this sort of
thing at the planning stage, because if you get it wrong it will
either annoy you for a long time or cost a lot of money to change.

Old November 1st 13, 05:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Scion wrote:
Samsung, Sony or Phillips.

If anything colour wise our flat screen Sony is better than our old CRT
Sony.
I think motion blur is a thing of the past.

There are still TVs available with the motion blur accessory :-)

I would add LG and Panasonic to the list of manufacturers worth a look.

You've pretty well covered all the makes on sale in the UK.

--
*WHY ARE HEMORRHOIDS CALLED "HEMORRHOIDS" INSTEAD OF "ASTEROIDS"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old November 1st 13, 05:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Rob Gibson" [email protected] wrote in message
As much as I don't want to, it's time to pension-off my trusty
28" Sony widescreen CRT telly. It is still working, but too big
for our living room now (and ruddy heavy having just moved
it!).

So, ideas and suggestions for a replacement? I was thinking of
a 32 - 40" flat panel. Not plasma (RFI issues). Picture quality
is paramount. Connectivity, looks, multi-tuners, etc., all
secondary. A good colour palette is important as are a good
black and shadow detail.

I have to say that, so far, none of the sets I've seen come
close to the CRT for colour. Picture geometry and sharpness are
excellent, but they all look slightly wrong colour-wise. Motion
blur seems to be an issue with some sets too.

Can spend up to 1000.

Good buy at the moment. Samsung UE32F5000 32" full HD with HD
tuner and LED lighting, 10W/ch sound, 0.3W on standby 40W
working. John Lewis 279 with five year warranty. If you want
'smart' capability get the F5500.

Richers were selling the F5000 at 269 with fibe year warranty
last week: if it is still active then get JLP to do a pricematch.
Whilst I don't mind dealing with either I would guess it much
less likely that JLP will go under during your warranty period.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com