Crane flies

Old September 26th 13, 06:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

Default Crane flies

An absolute plague of them this year. I don't have too much concern
what the leatherjackets might do to the lawn, but does anyone have any
experience of leatherjacket damage in borders or pots?

--

Jeff
Old September 26th 13, 07:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
An absolute plague of them this year. I don't have too much concern
what the leatherjackets might do to the lawn, but does anyone have any
experience of leatherjacket damage in borders or pots?

It isn't the leatherjackets that damage the lawns, it the birds (mainly
crows) who come to eat them. that's why the lawn gets torn up.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Old September 26th 13, 08:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Jeff Layman wrote:
An absolute plague of them this year. I don't have too much concern
what the leatherjackets might do to the lawn, but does anyone have any
experience of leatherjacket damage in borders or pots?

We have a lot of them here.

Old September 26th 13, 08:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Bill Wright
writes
Jeff Layman wrote:
An absolute plague of them this year. I don't have too much concern
what the leatherjackets might do to the lawn, but does anyone have any
experience of leatherjacket damage in borders or pots?

We have a lot of them here.

I've see times when they were more numerous. However, in the past couple
of years, there has been a large increase in the number of the
near-look-alike Daddy Longlegs spiders.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...rtolini.net/Im
magini/ragni/Pholcidae/Pholcidae.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.lucianabartolin
i.net/pagina_ragni-5.htm&h=199&w=253&sz=1&tbnid=roJfBMIYSQl7lM:&tbnh= 157&
tbnw=200&zoom=1&usg=__iwmCgc0otig-fRZAK58xEK-yTEg=&docid=_BkQFHzn0uJDCM&i
tg=1&sa=X&ei=tI1EUp6hOISO7AbDp4GgBg&ved=0CJwBEPwdM As
(Google it yourselves if the link fractures).
--
Ian
Old September 26th 13, 08:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Crosland

On 26/09/2013 19:31, charles wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
An absolute plague of them this year. I don't have too much concern
what the leatherjackets might do to the lawn, but does anyone have any
experience of leatherjacket damage in borders or pots?

It isn't the leatherjackets that damage the lawns, it the birds (mainly
crows) who come to eat them. that's why the lawn gets torn up.

You are quite wrong! Whilst the birds may damage the surface of the lawn
the real damage is done by the leatherjackets which eat the roots of the
grass causing the lawn to die.

--
Peter Crosland
Old September 26th 13, 09:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

Jeff Layman wrote:
An absolute plague of them this year. I don't have too much concern
what the leatherjackets might do to the lawn, but does anyone have any
experience of leatherjacket damage in borders or pots?

It isn't the leatherjackets that damage the lawns, it the birds (mainly
crows) who come to eat them. that's why the lawn gets torn up.

You are quite wrong! Whilst the birds may damage the surface of the lawn
the real damage is done by the leatherjackets which eat the roots of the
grass causing the lawn to die.

you should see our lawn after the crows have been at it - whatever the
leatherjackets did was insignificant in comparison.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Old September 26th 13, 09:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

Jeff Layman wrote:
An absolute plague of them this year. I don't have too much concern
what the leatherjackets might do to the lawn, but does anyone have any
experience of leatherjacket damage in borders or pots?

It isn't the leatherjackets that damage the lawns, it the birds (mainly
crows) who come to eat them. that's why the lawn gets torn up.

Wrong NG of course. Pulled a few minutes after posting, but it's never
soon enough!

--

Jeff
Old September 26th 13, 09:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_2_]

Jeff Layman wrote:
An absolute plague of them this year. I don't have too much concern
what the leatherjackets might do to the lawn, but does anyone have any
experience of leatherjacket damage in borders or pots?

It isn't the leatherjackets that damage the lawns, it the birds (mainly
crows) who come to eat them. that's why the lawn gets torn up.

Wrong NG of course. Pulled a few minutes after posting, but it's never
soon enough!

Using Foete Agent 2.0 and Eternal September, who seemed to honour your
cancel request.

A while ago, I saw your OP with the title, but the body said the post
had been cancelled (or words to that effect) Now the OP has
disappeared from my reader altogether.

I have seen this behaviour before, but it's very rare.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old September 26th 13, 10:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Crosland

Jeff Layman wrote:
An absolute plague of them this year. I don't have too much concern
what the leatherjackets might do to the lawn, but does anyone have any
experience of leatherjacket damage in borders or pots?

It isn't the leatherjackets that damage the lawns, it the birds (mainly
crows) who come to eat them. that's why the lawn gets torn up.

Wrong NG of course. Pulled a few minutes after posting, but it's never
soon enough!

They eggs tend to get laid in the lawns but soem do get laid elsewhere.
It just seems that conditions have been ideal for the little beggars to
thrive.

--
Peter Crosland
Old September 27th 13, 08:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

Jeff Layman wrote:
An absolute plague of them this year. I don't have too much concern
what the leatherjackets might do to the lawn, but does anyone have any
experience of leatherjacket damage in borders or pots?

It isn't the leatherjackets that damage the lawns, it the birds (mainly
crows) who come to eat them. that's why the lawn gets torn up.

Wrong NG of course. Pulled a few minutes after posting, but it's never
soon enough!

Using Foete Agent 2.0 and Eternal September, who seemed to honour your
cancel request.

A while ago, I saw your OP with the title, but the body said the post
had been cancelled (or words to that effect) Now the OP has
disappeared from my reader altogether.

I have seen this behaviour before, but it's very rare.

Interesting. I made the OP at 18.53, and cancelled it at 1900. Of
course, newsreaders will continue to show the post as being present
until they are refreshed if the NG was polled before the message was
cancelled. They may have the subject, but if, like me, you just
download the headers of new posts, if you don't download the full post
immediately, on trying to open the message you will get "message
cancelled" where the text should be.

I just checked in Google Groups, and it shows 4 hits for the subject.
One is for the correct NG (uk.rec.gardening). The others are for this
NG, and two forums. The first - GardenBanter - which uses at least a
couple of NGs to repost messages sent to it I can understand. The
second is HomeCinemaBanter! I assume that parasitises this NG, which is
why the posting appeared there.

So it just goes to prove that once a post has been made, you probably
have less than a few seconds to pull it to avoid it being permanently in
the wrong place.

--

Jeff