Falling on deaf ears

Old September 26th 13, 10:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R B Burgoyne

Default Falling on deaf ears

I have lived id this spot in the West Midlands for 74 years, 4 days before
WW2 started, my age then about five and a half years. With no electricity or
mains water Dads business making wooden poultry appliances came to a halt,
the eleven 11 young men he had employed already called up into the army.
With two of my sisters we walked over a mile to start at a new school.

The pump for the well water was in the kitchen, Dad soon became annoyed at
having to back up to oil lamp in the evenings to read his newspaper. Dad had
been friends with the local Squire for many years and he came round for chat
until it started to get dark, he was surprised that Dad had not got the
electric connected. Leave it with me; within a week the wooden poles were
put in from half a mile away, this was about 1942. We had fitted an electric
pressure water system in the 1950's it worked just like the mains water
until 1959 when we were using about 200 gallons a day for the livestock and
house. The well did not go completely dry but could not maintain the flow we
required and I had to fetch the water from neighbours farm a mile away.

Nothing concentrates the mind more when you do not have enough water for
your livestock, we then got connected to "Coventry Water" that I had watched
them install along the other side of the main road that pass's our property.
They used stiff asbestos pipes and collars lined with bitumen. Leaks have
been occurring for years and the net work is now "Severn Trent Water" and
they are now replacing it with larger bore polythene piping using a mole and
digging holes in the roadway instead using the verge. Having come about
halfway they changed to using the other side of road verge as they closer to
our property. Over years the electric Nation Grid ( 480 volts on one side)
have crossed the road and poles and cables for the local supply to our
property have been placed underground along the verge !

A few days ago I spotted two of the contractors in their hard hats
strolling along the verge I went out to speak to them I asked them if they
had realised that live cables ran under the verge there, no they did not
know that. The next day I decided to ring "Western Distribution" about what
Severn Trent Water were about to do the young man said that they had work
maps and instruments to check the route they were digging.

So yesterday the power went off just after lunch and I could see the
excavator just were I told them the underground wires started, I managed to
daisey-chain some extension leads over to my sons buiness and watch and
record some programes, a tap on the window just before mid night you are now
we have changed the phase, We have prepared a generator so your sons buiness
opperate with the 3 phase supply.

The costs must be considerable

Bill Burgoyne

Old September 26th 13, 10:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

R B Burgoyne wrote:
snip
Bill Burgoyne

Interesting stuff.

Old September 26th 13, 12:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_2_]

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 10:39:15 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

R B Burgoyne wrote:
snip
Bill Burgoyne

Interesting stuff.

Bill

Me en thou used to dream about pump fer well watter i't kitchen.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old September 26th 13, 01:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

wrote:

R B Burgoyne wrote:
snip
Bill Burgoyne

Interesting stuff.

Bill

Me en thou used to dream about pump fer well watter i't kitchen.

watter in't kitchen? Luxury!

We ad t'spit in t'cup to mek a coop o'tay.
Old September 26th 13, 04:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Scullery, was not that the Partner of Mouldy in X files?

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message ,
lid writes

wrote:

R B Burgoyne wrote:
snip
Bill Burgoyne

Interesting stuff.

Bill

Me en thou used to dream about pump fer well watter i't kitchen.

watter in't kitchen? Luxury!

We ad t'spit in t'cup to mek a coop o'tay.

Kitchen? Luxury! We 'ad tuh mek do wi' a scullery!
--
Ian

Old September 26th 13, 11:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Or to quote a German US second generation immigrant, the pump don't work
cos the vandal stole the handle.

Maybe it was the famous 19th century doctor to prevent the spread of
cholera.

--
Max Demian