Toraidhe Pikeys restore Dickensian times.

Old September 25th 13, 10:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Derek F[_3_]

Default Toraidhe Pikeys restore Dickensian times.

On 25/09/2013 22:20, Ian Field wrote:

"Derek F" wrote in message
On 25/09/2013 02:49, Bill Wright wrote:
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 20:52:19 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Lancashire Police officers are reporting a month-on-month increase in
the shoplifting of basic foodstuffs as families struggle
http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/person...ealing-2296520

****ing incredible.
Yes it is, literally, incredible. You are aware that the Daily Mirror is
just extreme leftist propaganda? We take the Mirror; I read it every
day, as well as the Times. It is ludicrously biased. Because it is aimed
primarily at the lower orders, whom the paper clearly regards as
mentally subnormal, the propaganda is unsophisticated in the extreme,
and I'd say any normal child of eleven would be able to see though it.

People have been nicking food from shops since the beginning of time. If
it's on the rise now it's because everyone knows you don't get put in
prison for petty crime until you've been nicked quite a few times, and
because this country is suffering a general decline in moral standards
caused by liberal parenting and educational attitudes.

What's more nicking from shops is just bone idle and unimaginative. If
they want food they should go out at night and rob the tater fields, or
capture a lamb or a chicken. Even a turnip field will do. And most
pick-your-own fields are unguarded at night. There's lots of places
where you can catch fish as well. The ornamental ponds in the parks are
teeming with them. Then there's fruit. The bramble bushes and
elderberries are wonderful at the moment. Allotments are pretty good for
free food. All kinds of veg and the odd pigeon. Mind you there's
****-all meat on a pigeon; you need a few. There's more meat on a crow.
You can catch them easy. Just some bread on the ground under a box
that's propped up with a stick. Tie a string to the stick and wait. The
fat ****ers can't lift off quick enough. And what about road kill? If
they're really so poor why don't they pick up a few hedgehogs and rats
and so forth and put them in the pot? And what about going for a walk
along the roads near a MacDonalds? There's one near here and I'm sure I
could get a good dinner from the rubbish their filthy ******* customers
throw out of their car windows.

So there's really no excuse for thieving from food shops, which is just
lazy.

The poor were really poor in Victorian times, but they didn't talk then
about epidemics of food pilfering from shops. That's because they knew
if they got caught they'd be properly punished.

When I was at school (not in Victorian times, before some 'wit' jumps
in) thieving was very severely punished. Anyone nicking from the nearby
shops would go home with no skin on their arse. Not any more. Now they
just get detention. Oh, we would have loved detention...

Bill

The Mirror used to be an intelligent very readable left wing paper
with journalists like Paul Foot and John Pilger. What went wrong with
it? Why did it have to compete with the Sun for down market readership?

The Sun markets to the lowest common denominator - and gets the most
readers.

Like it or not, Mirror Newspapers is a business that has to compete for
market share.

At least they don't claim to have "put in" *whoever* happens to win an
election.

Is that because they don't change sides?
Derek.
Old September 26th 13, 12:29 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Derek F wrote:

The Mirror used to be an intelligent very readable left wing paper with
journalists like Paul Foot and John Pilger. What went wrong with it? Why
did it have to compete with the Sun for down market readership?
Its Scottish siblings the Daily Record and Sunday Mail are even more
extreme in their bias.

Yes, agreed. I used to find the Mirror a good read. Although many of the
opinions in it were not to my taste at least they were argued cogently.
Remember Cassandra?

Mind you, I used to read the Daily Herald!

Old September 26th 13, 10:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
[email protected]

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 00:29:51 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

Derek F wrote:

The Mirror used to be an intelligent very readable left wing paper with
journalists like Paul Foot and John Pilger. What went wrong with it? Why
did it have to compete with the Sun for down market readership?
Its Scottish siblings the Daily Record and Sunday Mail are even more
extreme in their bias.

Yes, agreed. I used to find the Mirror a good read. Although many of the
opinions in it were not to my taste at least they were argued cogently.
Remember Cassandra?

Mind you, I used to read the Daily Herald!

Bill

Which in time became The Sun.

From the Wiki Daily Herald article:

it was reborn as The Sun in 1964 under editor Sydney Jacobson. Roy
Greenslade though, has suggested that the Daily Herald was, in fact,
losing readers to its own stable mate, the Daily Mirror, rather than
because of social changes.[8] By 1969 the original Sun had fewer
readers than the Herald at the end of its existence. The newspaper was
sold to Rupert Murdoch's News Limited (the holding group for all of
his interests at the time), and its format and eventually its
politics, were significantly altered.
--
Pete

Old September 26th 13, 10:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Which in time became The Sun.

And the Sun was a perfectly good paper in those early days.

Old September 26th 13, 01:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Kennedy[_2_]

On 26/09/2013 10:40, Bill Wright wrote:

Which in time became The Sun.

And the Sun was a perfectly good paper in those early days.

Bill

The Sun was excellent pre-murdoch

--
David Kennedy

http://www.anindianinexile.com
Old September 26th 13, 06:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ian field

wrote:

[...]

Not as often as the Sun - they (according to them) are the reason whoever
won, did so!