Internet connection on my tv

Old September 24th 13, 10:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Hugh Newbury

Default Internet connection on my tv

I've just retuned my tv and it says there are several stations that can
be viewed via the internet, but that I've no connection.

I get my internet connection via a router, all the computers connecting
to it by wifi. I can't run a cable from the tv to the router, but can I
get a dongle to fit into the tv to do the job?

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old September 24th 13, 10:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Zimmy[_2_]

On 24/09/2013 11:26, Hugh Newbury wrote:
I've just retuned my tv and it says there are several stations that can
be viewed via the internet, but that I've no connection.

I get my internet connection via a router, all the computers connecting
to it by wifi. I can't run a cable from the tv to the router, but can I
get a dongle to fit into the tv to do the job?

Hugh

If your TV just has a standard wired network connection, then you are
looking for a "wireless bridge". Many wireless routers can also be
configured as such.

Old September 24th 13, 10:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 11:26:51 +0100, Hugh Newbury
wrote:

I've just retuned my tv and it says there are several stations that can
be viewed via the internet, but that I've no connection.

I get my internet connection via a router, all the computers connecting
to it by wifi. I can't run a cable from the tv to the router, but can I
get a dongle to fit into the tv to do the job?

Hugh

Very probably.

The information I have is for Samsung Smart TVs. I'm sure similar
information is available for other makes.

The Samsung Smart Stick is a WiFi dongle that plugs into a USB socket on
the TV.
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs-...WIS09ABGNX/XAA

This short video shows how to set up the TV to use the dongle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyYaW9wD_TU

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old September 24th 13, 11:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tony sayer

In article , Zimmy scribeth thus
On 24/09/2013 11:26, Hugh Newbury wrote:
I've just retuned my tv and it says there are several stations that can
be viewed via the internet, but that I've no connection.

I get my internet connection via a router, all the computers connecting
to it by wifi. I can't run a cable from the tv to the router, but can I
get a dongle to fit into the tv to do the job?

Hugh

If your TV just has a standard wired network connection, then you are
looking for a "wireless bridge". Many wireless routers can also be
configured as such.

Yes you can do that as long as the wi-fi is good enough, i.e. fast
enough, we use a CAT 5 cable here as we can .. but if as said its up to
it...

--
Tony Sayer

Old September 24th 13, 12:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

"Hugh Newbury" wrote in message
I've just retuned my tv and it says there are several stations that can be
viewed via the internet, but that I've no connection.

Note that these stations will be (mostly subscription based) foreign
language stations and religious programmes.

Of more interest might be catch up services such as BBC iPlayer and on
demand services such as LOVEFiLM and Netflix. What you get depends on what
your TV manufacturer's portal allows you.

I get my internet connection via a router, all the computers connecting to
it by wifi. I can't run a cable from the tv to the router, but can I get a
dongle to fit into the tv to do the job?

Your TV manual/manufacturer/dealer should be able to advise you on the WiFi
dongle required.

--
Max Demian

Old September 24th 13, 01:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Hugh Newbury

On 24/09/13 13:50, Max Demian wrote:
"Hugh Newbury" wrote in message
I've just retuned my tv and it says there are several stations that can be
viewed via the internet, but that I've no connection.

Note that these stations will be (mostly subscription based) foreign
language stations and religious programmes.

Of more interest might be catch up services such as BBC iPlayer and on
demand services such as LOVEFiLM and Netflix. What you get depends on what
your TV manufacturer's portal allows you.

I get my internet connection via a router, all the computers connecting to
it by wifi. I can't run a cable from the tv to the router, but can I get a
dongle to fit into the tv to do the job?

Your TV manual/manufacturer/dealer should be able to advise you on the WiFi
dongle required.

Thanks all. Lots of ideas to follow up.

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Old September 24th 13, 01:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Farrance

Hugh Newbury wrote:

I've just retuned my tv and it says there are several stations that can
be viewed via the internet, but that I've no connection.

I get my internet connection via a router, all the computers connecting
to it by wifi. I can't run a cable from the tv to the router, but can I
get a dongle to fit into the tv to do the job?

If the manufacturer of your TV doesn't provide a wireless dongle for that
purpose, then you can set up a wireless-bridge but that's probably more
trouble than it's worth because it has to have its own power points at
each end.

Is it really out of the question to use a wire? Run the network cable
under the carpet around the edge of the room and connect to RJ45 couplers
( http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000MQM2FS ) hot-melt glued to the skirting
board.
Old September 25th 13, 02:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Zimmy[_2_]

On 24/09/2013 12:27, tony sayer wrote:
In article , Zimmy scribeth thus
On 24/09/2013 11:26, Hugh Newbury wrote:
I've just retuned my tv and it says there are several stations that can
be viewed via the internet, but that I've no connection.

I get my internet connection via a router, all the computers connecting
to it by wifi. I can't run a cable from the tv to the router, but can I
get a dongle to fit into the tv to do the job?

Hugh

If your TV just has a standard wired network connection, then you are
looking for a "wireless bridge". Many wireless routers can also be
configured as such.

Yes you can do that as long as the wi-fi is good enough, i.e. fast
enough, we use a CAT 5 cable here as we can .. but if as said its up to
it...

Yes, I later realised that I had forgotten to add that. For that reason
I have a Cat5 cable going to the TV even though I have wifi everywhere
else. I also put another wireless router onto it, giving a much better
signal in the living room. Turned out to be handy for the Xbox and the
Virgin Tivo box too.

Strangely, in order to use 'Virgin TV Anywhere' with the Tivo, you also
need to connect it to your home network, which is connected to the
internet via the same cable as the cable TV, which is also connected to
the Tivo!

By 'Anywhere' they seem to mean 'anywhere as long as it's on your home
network' and even then I haven't managed to actually view any video on
it yet.

Old September 25th 13, 02:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham C

wrote:

I've just retuned my tv and it says there are several stations that can
be viewed via the internet, but that I've no connection.

I get my internet connection via a router, all the computers connecting
to it by wifi. I can't run a cable from the tv to the router, but can I
get a dongle to fit into the tv to do the job?

Hugh

Believe you need the appropiate dongle for a wireless connection - a
generic one (at a fraction of the price!) won't do. I was about to buy
the Sony dongle for my TV but noticed that many reviewers had issues
with it, principally as it seemed the router had to be in the same
room due to insensitivity.

Bought a pair of homeplug modules instead (half the price of the Sony
dongle). This arrangement works perfectly. I didn't ,but would
seriously consider a pass-through homeplug as, for best results, they
hog one or two of your 13A wall sockets.

GrahamC
Old September 25th 13, 03:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

wrote:

I've just retuned my tv and it says there are several stations that can
be viewed via the internet, but that I've no connection.

I get my internet connection via a router, all the computers connecting
to it by wifi. I can't run a cable from the tv to the router, but can I
get a dongle to fit into the tv to do the job?

Hugh

Believe you need the appropiate dongle for a wireless connection - a
generic one (at a fraction of the price!) won't do.

I've managed to use a generic on with my Panasonic tv - so it may depend on
the make involved.

I was about to buy
the Sony dongle for my TV but noticed that many reviewers had issues
with it, principally as it seemed the router had to be in the same
room due to insensitivity.

Bought a pair of homeplug modules instead (half the price of the Sony
dongle). This arrangement works perfectly. I didn't ,but would
seriously consider a pass-through homeplug as, for best results, they
hog one or two of your 13A wall sockets.

GrahamC

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18