More Ben (4)

Old September 23rd 13, 09:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

Default More Ben (4)

In article , Martin
wrote:
On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 21:18:29 +0100, Graham. wrote:

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 20:14:08 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , Bill Wright
wrote:
TOT: This afternoon after a country walk Ben and his parents entered
a pub. Ben ran up to the bar and addressed the startled barmaid
thus: "Missus Pub, can I have a pint please, and some crisps?"

According to the information I was given when I trained for a "Personal
Licence", it's illegal for somone under 18 to ask for alcohol -
presumably he meant a pint of lemonade.

It depends where he is asking, and as he's under 10 it's not an issue
anyway.

In his own home he can have a drink legally on his next birthday as the
legal drinking age is 5 (Oh yes).

It does beg the question, as it is illegal to buy alcohol for an under
18, how will Ben get his booze? Apparently there is a distinction in
law between buying alcohol on his behalf and giving him some that you
have bought, but I bet that's not a something covered in Tesco's
"Challenge 21" training.

Although my daughter is 30, she is still being asked for ID, when she
buys alcohol in supermarkets.

she should take that as a compliment to her youthful appearance. ;-)

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Old September 23rd 13, 10:21 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 01:00:27 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

TOT: This afternoon after a country walk Ben and his parents
entered a pub. Ben ran up to the bar and addressed the startled
barmaid thus: "Missus Pub, can I have a pint please, and some
crisps?"
According to the information I was given when I trained for a
"Personal Licence", it's illegal for somone under 18 to ask for
alcohol - presumably he meant a pint of lemonade.

I would have thought that he could ask as much as he wanted, but the
offence would only occur if somebody sold it to him.

Can we try to remember that this was a four-year old innocently saying
something that we adults find amusing? That's all it was. I don't really
think Mr Plod would be very concerned.

In those circumstances I'm sure you're right, but if you ever take him
to an airport be careful to warn him never to mention bombs.

Old September 23rd 13, 10:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Taylor[_2_]

wrote:

Can we try to remember that this was a four-year old innocently saying
something that we adults find amusing? That's all it was. I don't really
think Mr Plod would be very concerned.

In those circumstances I'm sure you're right, but if you ever take him
to an airport be careful to warn him never to mention bombs.

Is that along the lines of telling someone not to think of pink elephants?

--
David Taylor
Old September 23rd 13, 01:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Martin wrote:

Although my daughter is 30, she is still being asked for ID, when she
buys alcohol in supermarkets.

They stopped asking me when I was about 60...

Old September 23rd 13, 01:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

TOT: This afternoon after a country walk Ben and his parents
entered a pub. Ben ran up to the bar and addressed the startled
barmaid thus: "Missus Pub, can I have a pint please, and some
crisps?"
According to the information I was given when I trained for a
"Personal Licence", it's illegal for somone under 18 to ask for
alcohol - presumably he meant a pint of lemonade.

I would have thought that he could ask as much as he wanted, but the
offence would only occur if somebody sold it to him.

Can we try to remember that this was a four-year old innocently saying
something that we adults find amusing? That's all it was. I don't really
think Mr Plod would be very concerned.

In those circumstances I'm sure you're right, but if you ever take him
to an airport be careful to warn him never to mention bombs.

Rod.

Ah, but that would make him go in and shout 'My grandad has a bomb up
his jumper!"

Old September 23rd 13, 02:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Stephen Wolstenholme[_3_]

Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

My previous wife had that problem when she was 26. She would not
provide ID and so service was refused and so she stopped shopping
there. There loss was us spending about 80 a week on meat, groceries
and drink.

Steve

Old September 23rd 13, 04:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

Since the shop cannot serve to anybody who appears to be under-age, and
can lose its license if it does serve to such a person, the shop was in
the right, and she sounds like a spoiled brat.
--
Davey.

Old September 23rd 13, 06:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_2_]

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 07:44:15 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 21:18:29 +0100, Graham. wrote:

In his own home he can have a drink legally on his next birthday as
the legal drinking age is 5 (Oh yes).

In that case, both my brother and I started a bit early. In fact, if the "5"
is 5 _months_ my brother might have been a bit 'advanced'!

I may have had some sacramental wine at eight days...

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old September 23rd 13, 10:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

"Davey" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 15:36:29 +0100

Since the shop cannot serve to anybody who appears to be under-age, and
can lose its license if it does serve to such a person, the shop was in
the right, and she sounds like a spoiled brat.
------------------------------------
********. They can only lose a licence for serving someone who is *actually*
underage.

Though government types are always muddying the issue by dishonestly talking
about 'underage drinkers' when they mean people under 18, not tippling
toddlers.

--
Max Demian

Old September 23rd 13, 11:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 17:03:33 +0100, Davey wrote:

Since the shop cannot serve to anybody who appears to be under-age, and
can lose its license if it does serve to such a person, the shop was in
the right, and she sounds like a spoiled brat.

A spoiled brat? You really are a ****ing nasty little arse who doesn't
know what he's talking about aren't you?