Artificial speech hoots.

Old September 22nd 13, 05:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Artificial speech hoots.

I have one of those Goodmans Smart talk boxes which I got on the switchover
scheme. OK they work adequately, but do have some foibles, I've mentioned
the incredible vanishing AD here before, but one of the designers must have
had a sense of humour, as although the speech of the menus and such is
pretty clear, the programme names are often not so lucky.
Here is what it sounds like it says and actually what it means (assuming I
can spell them)
Agatha Cristies Parrot Well obvious that one I guess
Footrimmer Futurama
Downed Nappy Downton abbey
Country Phil country file
Forethought Dog TV Obviously its dyslexic, Dog God?

It also has problems with the description of an episode, often leaving long
blank pauses and muttering about a half and a quarter S s etc while its in
the middle of reading them. I suspect these are some form of graphics its
encountering.

It also cannot distinguish 5 from 5*

* is not spoken at all.
On the times given on services that are off air it gets in a terrible
muddle at times seeming saying dam instead of AM etc, It is far better on 24
hour times.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old September 22nd 13, 11:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 18:58:25 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Forethought Dog TV Obviously its dyslexic, Dog God?

That is forethought dot TV.

Forethought is spelled with the digit 4 instead of the four letters f o
r and e.

It is the programme title. There is also an associated website:

http://www.4thought.tv/

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old September 23rd 13, 06:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 18:58:25 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Forethought Dog TV Obviously its dyslexic, Dog God?

Well, those religious thingies are barking.

Dogs are far preferable to gods - not so much crap spread around.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old September 23rd 13, 08:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes, but it says fore like that, not four like a digit, there are subtle
differences. It could be they did not use a space or something. My favourite
is Downed Nappy though.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old September 23rd 13, 10:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 07:41:29 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

Forethought Dog TV Obviously its dyslexic, Dog God?

Well, those religious thingies are barking.

Dogs are far preferable to gods - not so much crap spread around.

I find it impossible to believe that there's only one dog.

Old September 23rd 13, 12:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 09:07:00 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Yes, but it says fore like that, not four like a digit, there are subtle
differences. It could be they did not use a space or something. My favourite
is Downed Nappy though.
Brian

Sorry. I realised some hours later that I should have spelled out the
word f o u r.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)