The wit and wisdom of Ben, 4

Old September 23rd 13, 10:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

Default The wit and wisdom of Ben, 4

"Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 11:31:30 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

Assuming the worst, which I guess is that some nutter would, for some
reason, develop an obsessive interest in the child, I don't think just
looking at the photograph would help him find the boy. There may be
clues to his whereabouts if anyone bothered to look through hundreds of
posts, but I really think that is disappearingly unlikely either to be
done or to succeed.

You recently posted your full address. That is the clue.

I've got grandchildren too. Their full addresses are not the same as
my full address.

I detest the now-established culture of avoiding showing children's
face, and especially the pressure not to take any photographs of
children, or with children in them. I doubt is there's a scrap of
evidence that this contributes one jot to the tsunami of paedophilia
which is now (not) sweeping the country.

I think you probably mean the tsunami of paranoia and celebrity
accusations. There's probably some real nastiness behind it all, but
exactly how much and whether it's really increasing is unclear.

I wasn't particularly surprised to learn of the extracurricular
activities of Mr Savile, but my faith in humanity will take a severe
beating if Rolf Harris actually turns out to be guilty.

ITYM faith in the boundaries of legality and its interpretation.

--
Max Demian

Old September 24th 13, 10:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Zimmy[_2_]

On 22/09/2013 14:43, Steve Thackery wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

Kids and dogs; they can play us like fiddles can't they?

Only if you let them. When my niece tried it with me, I congratulated
her on how young she had learned to be manipulative.

Interestingly, it definitely set her thinking, and she seems to have
learned from it. Not only did she learn about her behaviour being
manipulative, she also learned that adults are far more perceptive than
she thought.

As much as it may seem so, they are not deliberately being manipulative,
they just go with what works, e.g. "if I make a lot of noise, I get
given something to shut me up".

Old September 24th 13, 11:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johny B Good[_2_]

Bill Wright wrote:

Kids and dogs; they can play us like fiddles can't they?

Only if you let them. When my niece tried it with me, I congratulated
her on how young she had learned to be manipulative.

Interestingly, it definitely set her thinking, and she seems to have
learned from it. Not only did she learn about her behaviour being
manipulative, she also learned that adults are far more perceptive than
she thought.

As much as it may seem so, they are not deliberately being manipulative,
they just go with what works, e.g. "if I make a lot of noise, I get
given something to shut me up".

That's entirely natural. It's known as: "Looking After Number
One"(tm) and pretty much applies to all animal species. Notable
examples of individuals, who take this strategy to extreme limits,
land up with careers in banking and other forms of legalised robbery.
--
Regards, J B Good
Old September 24th 13, 08:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Johny B Good wrote:

That's entirely natural. It's known as: "Looking After Number
One"(tm) and pretty much applies to all animal species. Notable
examples of individuals, who take this strategy to extreme limits,
land up with careers in banking and other forms of legalised robbery.

However the basic instinct to look after yourself is greatly moderated
in those of us who are properly civilised.

Today I saw something interesting. My dad's powered wheelchair lost a
tyre in a busy public place. I sat him on a bench and leant the chair
against a pillar to get a better look at the problem. To refit the tyre
would need a 13mm spanner, a mole wrench, a 1/4" flat screwdriver, an
allen key, and some fairy liquid. I left him and went to the car park
nearby to get the items from the motorhome. At the motorhome I had a
clear view of him and the wheelchair. My phone rang. No hurry, so I sat
there talking (and watching). Father has the habit of leaning right
forward and looking at the ground when there's nothing else to do. It
looks as if there's something wrong with him. About nine out of ten
people walked straight past this 94 year-old and his seemingly upturned
wheelchair. The one in ten asked him if he was OK, did he need help,
etc. When I got back a woman was sitting with him and she told me she
thought she'd stay with him because he wasn't clear that help was
coming. He's very very deaf.

There are two types of people in this world.

Something else on my mind today. Once a philanderer always a
philanderer. Or: the leopard never changes its spots. Never let your
daughter marry a second-hand man. I hasten to add none of mine have. But
a female friend of mine has just been badly let down by her husband. He
did exactly the same thing to his previous wife, two timed her for a
while then ditched her. I told my friend, "Well, the boot's on the other
foot this time isn't, isn't it?" She grudgingly accepted that this was
the case, but said it didn't reduce the hurt.

Old September 24th 13, 10:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

Bill Wright wrote:
Johny B Good wrote:

[...]

You mean those who abandon a confused and deaf old man in a broken down
wheelchair while they disappear and chat to their mates, and those who
don't?

Old September 25th 13, 01:18 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Norman Wells wrote:

You mean those who abandon a confused and deaf old man in a broken down
wheelchair while they disappear and chat to their mates, and those who
don't?

I know you're just being a ****, but I was 20 yards away, with him in
clear view. He was dozing, and I had a brief call from the MacMillan
nurse about a visit tomorrow.

Old September 25th 13, 08:55 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

Bill Wright wrote:
Norman Wells wrote:

You mean those who abandon a confused and deaf old man in a broken
down wheelchair while they disappear and chat to their mates, and
those who don't?

I know you're just being a ****, but I was 20 yards away,

Ah well, why didn't you say?

--
Norman Wells

Old September 25th 13, 01:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Norman Wells wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
Norman Wells wrote:

You mean those who abandon a confused and deaf old man in a broken
down wheelchair while they disappear and chat to their mates, and
those who don't?

I know you're just being a ****, but I was 20 yards away,

Ah well, why didn't you say?

I quote. "At the motorhome I had a clear view of him and the wheelchair."