4oD - is its performance worse than iPlayer?

Old September 20th 13, 08:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Clive Page[_4_]

Default 4oD - is its performance worse than iPlayer?

I intended to record the programme on Channel 4 a week or so back on the
Zeppelin attacks on London during the first world war (as one of my
father's earliest memories is of seeing a Zeppelin flying over Essex).
But somehow I didn't set the recorder up correctly, so this evening we
watched it via a laptop using the 4oD system, which I hadn't used before.

Unfortunately the playback paused every few minutes for 10 - 20 seconds
while it was downloading a new batch of data. I guess it could be down
to the limited bandwidth of our broadband, which only has a download
speed of around 5 Mb/s, but I haven't found similar problems when using
the BBC's iPlayer system, and that's even ok using a HD playback. So do
others find that the 4oD servers have an inferior performance to
iPlayer, or was I just unlucky this evening?

--
Clive Page
Old September 21st 13, 08:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 20/09/2013 21:54, Clive Page wrote:
I intended to record the programme on Channel 4 a week or so back on the
Zeppelin attacks on London during the first world war (as one of my
father's earliest memories is of seeing a Zeppelin flying over Essex).
But somehow I didn't set the recorder up correctly, so this evening we
watched it via a laptop using the 4oD system, which I hadn't used before.

Unfortunately the playback paused every few minutes for 10 - 20 seconds
while it was downloading a new batch of data. I guess it could be down
to the limited bandwidth of our broadband, which only has a download
speed of around 5 Mb/s, but I haven't found similar problems when using
the BBC's iPlayer system, and that's even ok using a HD playback. So do
others find that the 4oD servers have an inferior performance to
iPlayer, or was I just unlucky this evening?

Get a network monitor which visually shows the download (and any upload)
in a small window. I use a pretty old one - BitMeter
(http://codebox.org.uk/pages/bitmeteros) - but it works for me.

You can instantly see if there is an delay or falloff in the
transmission rates. It can also give you figues for the transmission
rate at any particular time, so you can see, for example, if data from
4oD is coming in at a much lower rate than iPlayer.

--

Jeff
Old September 22nd 13, 12:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Johnson[_3_]

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 21:54:16 +0100, Clive Page
wrote:

so this evening we
watched it via a laptop using the 4oD system, which I hadn't used before.

As a matter of interest, did you get 4OD to display fullscreen? I
couldn't when I was using it last week. Ta.
Old September 23rd 13, 08:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Clive Page[_4_]

On 22/09/2013 13:10, Peter Johnson wrote:
As a matter of interest, did you get 4OD to display fullscreen? I
couldn't when I was using it last week. Ta.

Yes I did. Our Panasonic tele does iplayer (poor user interface but it
works) but none of the ITV/Channel4 catch-up services - message on
screen says "not compatible". So I used my laptop and plugged it in to
the TV using HDMI. I clicked on the full-screen icon and it just
worked full-screen, slightly to my surprise. I was using the latest
Firefox (24.0 I think). Apart from the glitches when it stopped to
refill its buffers, it was fine.

--
Clive Page