iplayer problem

Old September 18th 13, 05:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint[_2_]

Default iplayer problem

Sort of digital tv, so sort of on topic?!

Haven't found this problem by searching.

Having had my Humax Foxsat HDR chop the last 30 minutes of "The Wipers
Times" by declaring a conflict and a set recording had a higher priority
(there was no other recording made at 2200!) I thought I'd download it
from iplayer.

iplayer says its version expires at 1029pm today. So I downloaded a
Windows Media Player version; nigh on 1Gb worth. My monthly BB cap is
10Gb so that's quite a few days of surfing.

When it had finished downloading, at 1840, I shuttled through it to 58
minutes in, which was the Humax cutoff point, and paused it. Missus
wanted to see if there was anything worth watching on the One Show (ha
ha!) so I held it on pause till 1900. Still picture remained up.

Connected lappy to Panasonic Display via HDMI and download disappeared
once all the gubbins had switched to right size, etc. Looked on Media
Player and on lappy and it doesn't exist anymore.

So, is this some sort of media rights issue (he might be trying to make
a DVD!) or an iplayer bug or a windows one?

Richard
Old September 18th 13, 09:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

Dickie mint wrote:

[...]

Like you, I downloaded a BBC programme for the first time recently, as
the iPlayer version was about to be withdrawn. The download is
playable for 30 days. I burned it to DVD so I could play it in more
than one PC, and found that when I play it for the first time in a
different PC, it goes online to find out the date and get permission,
but after that the PC does not go online for subsequent plays. There
must be a permission file that gets stored on the PC somewhere.

In your case, did you save the download in a permanent folder, not
just play it from the temporary download folder? If not, the temporary
folder may well get deleted if you've configured your browser to do
that after use.

Also the download is encrypted so it can't be converted to an
unlimited version.

Although I could have recorded my programme when it was shown on TV, I
can't record an unlimited version from the download except by pointing
a camcorder at the screen while it plays. I have one more day!
--
Dave W

Old September 19th 13, 07:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Corporal Jones

On 18/09/2013 22:04, Dave W wrote:
Dickie mint wrote:

[...]

Use get iplayer. http://linuxcentre.net/getiplayer/download
Versions for Windows, Linux and Mac. I use it mainly for radio progs but
sometimes for Video, it downloads in mp4 which I watch with VLC or
sometimes convert to DVD format.
Old September 19th 13, 01:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint[_2_]

On 19/09/2013 08:22, Corporal Jones wrote:

Use get iplayer. http://linuxcentre.net/getiplayer/download
Versions for Windows, Linux and Mac. I use it mainly for radio progs but
sometimes for Video, it downloads in mp4 which I watch with VLC or
sometimes convert to DVD format.

Thanks for that, worth considering for the future!

Richard
Old September 19th 13, 02:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint[_2_]

[...]

I downloaded it into the Media Player on my laptop, without saving. Ran
it 58 minutes in, then paused it. It was when I connected the HDMI lead
from the LG audio box (BH 8220B) to the laptop that it got deleted.

When connecting the lappy to the Panasonic display via the LG it takes a
few seconds for the picture to appear, so you get used to waiting. The
usual PC desktop screen appeared with the Media Player window, which was
blank, despite my having seen the freeze frame at 58 mins just seconds
before.
The output of the LG box goes to a HDMI to S-Video converter to the
Panasonic display.

Richard

Old September 19th 13, 03:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 15:01:00 +0100, Dickie mint
wrote:

[...]

That sounds like an effect I get with two monitors connected to my PC
so that the desktop spreads between the two of them, making it easy to
look at documents side by side etc. I can play a video on the master
screen, but if I drag the whole player window to the slave, the video
part is blank. If you disconnect your Panasonic, does the video
reappear on the laptop?
--
Dave W

Old September 19th 13, 09:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint[_2_]

On 19/09/2013 16:06, Dave W wrote:
If you disconnect your Panasonic, does the video
reappear on the laptop?

Yes, it's just the media player that had it's content file deleted.

The panny continued to show the desktop.

Richard

Old September 19th 13, 09:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_2_]

In article , richard_taylor01
@yahoo.co.uk says...

[...]

For future reference, get_iplayer gets you around all those sorts of
issues.

http://squarepenguin.co.uk/guides/tv-download-guide/
Old September 22nd 13, 11:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Derek F[_3_]

On 18/09/2013 18:31, Dickie mint wrote:
[...]

There are many sites on line where you can download TV programmes
Several have loaded it here.
http://www.shaanig.com/f8/wipers-tim...d-afg-1002300/

--
Derek.