TOT spelling

Old September 16th 13, 06:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_2_]

Default TOT spelling

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 08:40:15 +0000 (UTC), "Dave Saville"
wrote:

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 19:06:44 UTC, Bill Wright
wrote:

I see that some contributors to this group spell certain simple short
words incorrectly, even though their general standard of literacy is
good. I always spell certain words wrongly. An example is 'rediculous'.
Anyone else aware of their habitual mistakes, but find themselves
powerless to improve?

My favourite is "becasue" - I do several similar mis-types. What I
*think* is happening is when consecutive letters are typed with
different hands - they get out of sync.

"Because" is one word I always spell correctly as it evokes a memory
of Mr Frayman in first year junior school.
Likewise "Wednesday".

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old September 16th 13, 06:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_8_]

Graham. wrote:

"Because" is one word I always spell correctly as it evokes a memory
of Mr Frayman in first year junior school.
Likewise "Wednesday".

On the our first day of grammar school, the first word that Dr Page
proudly wrote on the blackboard was "Teusday", he never lived that one
down in 7 years.

Old September 17th 13, 07:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 18:08:20 +0100, Roderick Stewart wrote:

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 17:28:38 +0100, PeterC
wrote:

Me too! So far, no one has offered mistyping habits that I haven't
also fallen prey to. Another spelling error that sometimes trips me up
is that of adding extraneous letters (I have to take extra care with
'banana' for example).

And queueue. I don't like long queueues though.

Bill

Getting close to The Navy Lark. For years after that finished I couldn't
correctly say words such as minimini...mum and anemom...eter.

"Minimum" is the one that would always thwart my attempts to render it
correctly in joined up handwriting, as I had to be very careful to put
the exact number of half-cycles and get the dots in the right places.
It always reminds me of the Plessey logo.

rod.

Ah that - I used to be able to write it as quickly as any other script and
remember when the newsletter had the 'scope settings for generating it.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old September 17th 13, 08:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian C

On 15/09/2013 20:53, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

Bill Wright wrote:

I always spell certain words wrongly. An example is 'rediculous'.
Anyone else aware of their habitual mistakes, but find themselves
powerless to improve?

My fingers insist on typing "form" instead of "from".

Mine like "obviosuly".

I catch myself typinq q's instead of g's.

Badly

--
Adrian C

Old September 17th 13, 09:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Saville[_2_]

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 09:16:37 UTC, "Steve Thackery"
wrote:

Dave Saville wrote:

My favourite is "becasue" - I do several similar mis-types. What I
think is happening is when consecutive letters are typed with
different hands - they get out of sync

Are you a touch-typist by any chance? I am, and also suffer that
problem.

No - but I use more than one finger on each hand :-)

There are various typos that pretty well only get made by
touch-typists, and others that are pretty well only made by
hunt-and-peck typists. You can usually tell what keyboard training
someone has had by looking at the type of mistakes they make.

Interesting. As I think I have mentioned before I had a your lady
working for me who was a touch typist and she found she could swap the
key *tops* on IBM keyboards and made hers ABCD etc instead of QWERTY -
Called it her managers layout :-) Nobody could use it. She could - as
long as she did not look at the keyboard, whereupon her fingers
promptly tied themselves into a knot.

--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old September 17th 13, 11:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris S[_2_]

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 02:15:34 +0100, Johny B Good
wrote:

I suspect that if I did use a spell checker, my spelling skills would
deteriorate (which is one of the reasons I eschewed the use of the
spell checker function in my previous mail/news reader client).

I suspect the opposite in my case. I view the spell checker as a sort
of 'spelling tutor'. After having been 'told' a number of times that I
have misspelled a particular word, I begin to spell it correctly
without hesitation.

Chris S
Old September 17th 13, 01:01 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

Dave Saville wrote:

Interesting. As I think I have mentioned before I had a your lady
working for me who was a touch typist and she found she could swap the
key tops on IBM keyboards and made hers ABCD etc instead of QWERTY -
Called it her managers layout :-) Nobody could use it. She could - as
long as she did not look at the keyboard, whereupon her fingers
promptly tied themselves into a knot.

Yep, I can do that!! By the way, since I learned to become a
touch-typist I've become considerably slower at hunt-and-peck.
Strangely, if you ask me where a particular letter is on the keyboard,
I couldn't tell you without thinking and working it out. But as soon
as I need to type it my fingers find it instantly.

I find it fascinating that so much goes on in my brain that I am
unconscious of, and even that it works very much better without
conscious intervention. Utterly fascinating.

--
SteveT
Old September 22nd 13, 07:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Grimly Curmudgeon[_2_]

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 20:06:44 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

I see that some contributors to this group spell certain simple short
words incorrectly, even though their general standard of literacy is
good. I always spell certain words wrongly. An example is 'rediculous'.
Anyone else aware of their habitual mistakes, but find themselves
powerless to improve?

Argument is a favourite of mine. Quite often I'll dash off the
'e'-inclusive version.
Trouble is, with some words, the online refs are bloody Yankee.