TOT spelling

Old September 16th 13, 08:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Alan White[_2_]

Default TOT spelling

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 20:06:44 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

I see that some contributors to this group spell certain simple short
words incorrectly, even though their general standard of literacy is
good. I always spell certain words wrongly. An example is 'rediculous'.
Anyone else aware of their habitual mistakes, but find themselves
powerless to improve?

I always type 'rember' for 'remember' and then have to correct it, if I
rember.

--
Alan White
Mozilla Firefox and Forte Agent.
Old September 16th 13, 08:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes, I have issues with words like
Someone
Unconcious
Untill
Phillips
Posession ( that one when I'm really tired)
And of course I'm a crap typist as well!

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old September 16th 13, 08:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes, but that is typong errors, not actual spelling. I find my spelling has
got worse since I lost my sight. Listening to words obviously does not
always make the spelling any better. Sight is still the trigger.
However we al make mistakes and normally cannot see them. The one good
thing about reading with artificial speech is that unlike the sighted proof
reader, it says what is actually there not what one might expect to be
there. One has to be acreful as spell checkers see nothing wrong withe the
term Pubic Transport when there is an L missing.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Tim+ wrote:

Bill Wright wrote:

I always spell certain words wrongly. An example is 'rediculous'.
Anyone else aware of their habitual mistakes, but find themselves
powerless to improve?

My fingers insist on typing "form" instead of "from".

Mine like "obviosuly".

Old September 16th 13, 09:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

wrote:

I see that some contributors to this group spell certain simple short
words incorrectly, even though their general standard of literacy is
good. I always spell certain words wrongly. An example is
'rediculous'. Anyone else aware of their habitual mistakes, but find
themselves powerless to improve?

Bill

Mine are so numerous I couldn't begin to tell you. Thank heaven for
spell checkers.

It's better if you're properly letterate, though, and can tell for
yourself.

I think it's good to be numberate too.

Old September 16th 13, 09:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

Bill Wright wrote:
Johny B Good wrote:

I used to spell ratio as ration,

Some years ago I was asked to assess the likely veracity of a written
report. The report had 'ration' for 'ratio' throughout. It had been
professionally proofed.

You mean 'spell-checked'?
Old September 16th 13, 09:03 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 16/09/2013 08:44, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes, but that is typong errors, not actual spelling. I find my spelling has
got worse since I lost my sight. Listening to words obviously does not
always make the spelling any better. Sight is still the trigger.
However we al make mistakes and normally cannot see them. The one good
thing about reading with artificial speech is that unlike the sighted proof
reader, it says what is actually there not what one might expect to be
there. One has to be acreful as spell checkers see nothing wrong withe the
term Pubic Transport when there is an L missing.
Brian

But why didn't your spell checker pick up the two obviously misspelt
words in your post - "typong" and "acreful" (to say nothing of "withe")?
I guess that you could have misheard "typong" as "typing", but surely
"acreful" would have sounded very odd indeed, and nothing like "careful".

And as for "Pubic transport", well, you need a merkin box, don't you?

--

Jeff
Old September 16th 13, 09:40 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Saville[_2_]

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 19:06:44 UTC, Bill Wright
wrote:

I see that some contributors to this group spell certain simple short
words incorrectly, even though their general standard of literacy is
good. I always spell certain words wrongly. An example is 'rediculous'.
Anyone else aware of their habitual mistakes, but find themselves
powerless to improve?

My favourite is "becasue" - I do several similar mis-types. What I
*think* is happening is when consecutive letters are typed with
different hands - they get out of sync.

--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old September 16th 13, 10:13 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

Bill Wright wrote:

Johny B Good wrote:

I used to spell ratio as ration,

Some years ago I was asked to assess the likely veracity of a written
report. The report had 'ration' for 'ratio' throughout. It had been
professionally proofed.

That's a typical touch-typist's error. Being a touch-typist myself, my
fingers often complete a familiar sequence such as 'ion' when 'io' was
actually required.

--
SteveT
Old September 16th 13, 10:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

Dave Saville wrote:

My favourite is "becasue" - I do several similar mis-types. What I
think is happening is when consecutive letters are typed with
different hands - they get out of sync

Are you a touch-typist by any chance? I am, and also suffer that
problem.

There are various typos that pretty well only get made by
touch-typists, and others that are pretty well only made by
hunt-and-peck typists. You can usually tell what keyboard training
someone has had by looking at the type of mistakes they make.

--
SteveT