OLEDs and such

Old May 29th 13, 10:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

Default OLEDs and such

Colleagues,

The ongoing progress of OLED displays led me to wonder something: does
anyone know why organic LEDs are considered suitable for making TV and
computer displays, but ordinary LEDs are not?

Presumably each pixel needs an RGB triplet whichever technology is
used. Each sub-pixel will require it's own drive current. This must
be the same basic requirement regardless of which type of LED is used.

The only thing that occurs to me is about the size. Is there a lower
size limit for a traditional LED, which does not apply to an OLED?

--
SteveT
Old May 29th 13, 11:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Steve Thackery wrote:

The ongoing progress of OLED displays led me to wonder something: does
anyone know why organic LEDs are considered suitable for making TV and
computer displays, but ordinary LEDs are not?

I have read that they are more suitable for "printing" in an array
onto a flat surface such as a TV screen. But I don't know why that
is so.

-- Richard
Old May 29th 13, 01:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton

"Steve Thackery" wrote in message

Colleagues,

The ongoing progress of OLED displays led me to wonder something: does
anyone know why organic LEDs are considered suitable for making TV and
computer displays, but ordinary LEDs are not?

Presumably each pixel needs an RGB triplet whichever technology is
used. Each sub-pixel will require it's own drive current. This must
be the same basic requirement regardless of which type of LED is used.

The only thing that occurs to me is about the size. Is there a lower
size limit for a traditional LED, which does not apply to an OLED?

--
SteveT

AIUI OLED are just printed on the glass and can be very small, that is how
you get full HD in a Samsung Galaxy S4.

There are [discrete] LED arrays, but these tend to be large and high power
(often outdoors) and the cost of mounting 6M LED's is high.

OTOH at present large OLED screens are very expensive.

Old May 29th 13, 01:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I'd have thought that as you get them bigger the dissipation and the
accuracy needs to be better too. Not only that but surely the light emitted
over areas needs to be very well matched or its going to look peculiar.

Email:

Old May 29th 13, 01:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Stephen

"Steve Thackery" wrote in message

Colleagues,

The ongoing progress of OLED displays led me to wonder something: does
anyone know why organic LEDs are considered suitable for making TV and
computer displays, but ordinary LEDs are not?

Presumably each pixel needs an RGB triplet whichever technology is
used. Each sub-pixel will require it's own drive current. This must
be the same basic requirement regardless of which type of LED is used.

The only thing that occurs to me is about the size. Is there a lower
size limit for a traditional LED, which does not apply to an OLED?

--
SteveT

As far as I know LCD displays have a transisitor in the corner of every
pixel. Why can't these be ordinary LEDs instead?

Old May 29th 13, 01:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Stephen Wolstenholme[_3_]

On Wed, 29 May 2013 04:16:37 -0500, "Steve Thackery"
wrote:

Colleagues,

The ongoing progress of OLED displays led me to wonder something: does
anyone know why organic LEDs are considered suitable for making TV and
computer displays, but ordinary LEDs are not?

Presumably each pixel needs an RGB triplet whichever technology is
used. Each sub-pixel will require it's own drive current. This must
be the same basic requirement regardless of which type of LED is used.

The only thing that occurs to me is about the size. Is there a lower
size limit for a traditional LED, which does not apply to an OLED?

There is no way to print LED on flat panels. They are much too big.

Steve

Old May 29th 13, 02:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Rick[_10_]

"Steve Thackery" wrote in message

Colleagues,

The ongoing progress of OLED displays led me to wonder something: does
anyone know why organic LEDs are considered suitable for making TV and
computer displays, but ordinary LEDs are not?

Presumably each pixel needs an RGB triplet whichever technology is
used. Each sub-pixel will require it's own drive current. This must
be the same basic requirement regardless of which type of LED is used.

The only thing that occurs to me is about the size. Is there a lower
size limit for a traditional LED, which does not apply to an OLED?

A number of years ago I saw on TV a demonstration given by a British Company
of a flexible plastic TV screen, IIRC the (green) image was produced by some
kind of organic compound and was predicted would be in glorious colour
within a few years.
It was also said that this development would lead to TV displays which would
be able to be rolled up and might even become as disposable as newspapers,
does anyone else remember this, or know what happened?

Old May 29th 13, 04:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

There is no way to print LED on flat panels. They are much too big.

Indeed, but they don't "print" plasma displays, either. I just
wondered why - if they can fabricate plasma displays at a competitive
price - they couldn't replace each plasma cell with an LED on a similar
scale. (I realise the drive electronics are different.)

--
SteveT
Old May 29th 13, 04:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jim Lesurf[_2_]

In article , Stephen

wrote:

"Steve Thackery" wrote in message

Colleagues,

The ongoing progress of OLED displays led me to wonder something: does
anyone know why organic LEDs are considered suitable for making TV and
computer displays, but ordinary LEDs are not?

As far as I know LCD displays have a transisitor in the corner of every
pixel. Why can't these be ordinary LEDs instead?

My vague and unreliable recollection is that it may be because the OLEDs
are more flexible and easier to stick to something like a glass surface in
a thin layer. LEDs tend to be more rigid crystalline and damaged by small
defects. So thermal and flexure effects can cause failure. However I'm not
sure of this as I'm trying to recall articles on the OLEDs I read years
ago!

Slainte,