Buying a TV in 1960 advice

Old May 28th 13, 02:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Grimly Curmudgeon[_2_]

Default Buying a TV in 1960 advice

On Sat, 11 May 2013 00:18:28 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Very poor picture performance compared to a decent shadow mask set. Viewed
under optimum conditions. They couldn't produce accurate flesh tones.

Istr you could be right about the Trinitron domestic sets, but the
Sony monitor I used for ten years retained excellent colour
faithfulness during its duty. Different circuitry, of course, but it
illustrates it wasn't an inherent problem with the Trinitron tube.
Old May 28th 13, 03:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

wrote:

Very poor picture performance compared to a decent shadow mask set.
Viewed under optimum conditions. They couldn't produce accurate flesh
tones.

Istr you could be right about the Trinitron domestic sets, but the
Sony monitor I used for ten years retained excellent colour
faithfulness during its duty. Different circuitry, of course, but it
illustrates it wasn't an inherent problem with the Trinitron tube.

Trinitron tube monitors weren't used by the broadcasters where quality
mattered. They were also pretty rare as computer monitors.

--
*Taxation WITH representation ain't much fun, either.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old May 28th 13, 04:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Rick[_10_]

wrote:

Very poor picture performance compared to a decent shadow mask set.
Viewed under optimum conditions. They couldn't produce accurate flesh
tones.

Istr you could be right about the Trinitron domestic sets, but the
Sony monitor I used for ten years retained excellent colour
faithfulness during its duty. Different circuitry, of course, but it
illustrates it wasn't an inherent problem with the Trinitron tube.

Trinitron tube monitors weren't used by the broadcasters where quality
mattered. They were also pretty rare as computer monitors.

Would I be correct in saying that there was quite a big difference between a
run of the mill commercial shadow mask CRT and the ones used in studio
monitors, a much finer dot pitch for a start?

Old May 28th 13, 04:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ian field

wrote:

Very poor picture performance compared to a decent shadow mask set.
Viewed under optimum conditions. They couldn't produce accurate flesh
tones.

Istr you could be right about the Trinitron domestic sets, but the
Sony monitor I used for ten years retained excellent colour
faithfulness during its duty. Different circuitry, of course, but it
illustrates it wasn't an inherent problem with the Trinitron tube.

Trinitron tube monitors weren't used by the broadcasters where quality
mattered. They were also pretty rare as computer monitors.

There's maybe 8 or so 15" Trinitron PC monitors in my garage - and many more
winged their way to new owners via the company I was fixing them for.

For one reason or another the ones in the garage were designated as for
spares, but I could probably get a couple or three going.

Old May 28th 13, 04:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ian field

wrote:

Very poor picture performance compared to a decent shadow mask set.
Viewed under optimum conditions. They couldn't produce accurate flesh
tones.

Istr you could be right about the Trinitron domestic sets, but the
Sony monitor I used for ten years retained excellent colour
faithfulness during its duty. Different circuitry, of course, but it
illustrates it wasn't an inherent problem with the Trinitron tube.

Trinitron tube monitors weren't used by the broadcasters where quality
mattered. They were also pretty rare as computer monitors.

Would I be correct in saying that there was quite a big difference between
a run of the mill commercial shadow mask CRT and the ones used in studio
monitors, a much finer dot pitch for a start?

Generally speaking a domestic TV would have a basic common emitter amplifier
driving the CRT cathodes - most PC monitors would have a cascode amplifier
driving the cathodes.

AFAICR - the Trinitron TVs were the same as any others in that regard.

Old May 28th 13, 11:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Rick wrote:
Trinitron tube monitors weren't used by the broadcasters where quality
mattered. They were also pretty rare as computer monitors.

Would I be correct in saying that there was quite a big difference
between a run of the mill commercial shadow mask CRT and the ones used
in studio monitors, a much finer dot pitch for a start?

Not in the early days of colour, which I was referring to. When PIL tubes
came in, broadcast stayed with delta gun types for high quality use.

--
*On the other hand, you have different fingers*