Humax Foxsat-HD box report

Old May 26th 13, 12:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David.WE.Roberts

Default Humax Foxsat-HD box report

Well, it does seem better than the Bush - at least it hasn't overheated
yet.

More features, better menu layout.

However the iPlayer bit seems dubious to say the least.

Software not updated since 2010 so a really old product (in technical
terms).

So far I have only tried iPlayer via Ethernet and not tried the other 'On
Demand' services.

iPlayer works first time, but at the end of the program it just freezes
with the "Loading....." prompt.
You have to back out of iPlayer to get going again.
Pressing coloured buttons (instead of the 'back' button) just locks the
whole thing up and requires cycling to standby and back.
There is also a time lag of several seconds after the program starts
before audio comes in.

SO I am now wondering if I wasted my money and should have gone for a more
recent but more expensive option, or if all these STBs with bolt on
Ethernet connections are as bad as each other.

Cheers

Dave R
Old May 26th 13, 01:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Does it use the web site, as the bbc has changed it recently and may well
have caused older desighns to go wrong. they certainly did with the webbie
software I was using on my computer to get around their naff site design.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old May 26th 13, 01:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David.WE.Roberts

On Sun, 26 May 2013 13:49:19 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Does it use the web site, as the bbc has changed it recently and may
well have caused older desighns to go wrong. they certainly did with the
webbie software I was using on my computer to get around their naff site
design.
Brian

No idea - how would I tell?

It doesn't present as a web browser (now wouldn't that be nice) just gives
you categories and navigates by arrow keys and OK button.

Similarities to the iPlayer on Virgin, I think.

However you do highlight a concern - if the software hasn't been changed
since 2010 and 'enhancement' by the BBC is likely to have adverse effects.

Cheers

Dave R
Old May 26th 13, 02:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On 26 May 2013 11:04:18 GMT, "David.WE.Roberts"
wrote:

[...]

I have a PVR with an "internet" button that gives access to iPlayer
and a few other things I'm not interested in or haven't heard of. It
works, but it's very slow, taking about 30 seconds from pressing the
button to anything appearing on the screen. Honestly, if you want
internet functions you're better off with a computer.

Old May 26th 13, 03:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

David.WE.Roberts wrote:

SO I am now wondering if I wasted my money and should have gone for a
more recent but more expensive option, or if all these STBs with bolt
on Ethernet connections are as bad as each other.

No, they aren't. I, also, own a Foxsat HD and it's like leaping back
into the last century. The user interface is a very thin skim on to of
Linux, and I think it's ugly and crude.

It's a strange product - the UI and general look and feel of the thing
are quite different from all their other products. I rather think it's
something they bought in and badged up. I can't remember how well the
iPlayer bit worked, because I no longer use the Foxsat.

Luckily for me I've got a good Freeview signal, so I ditched the Foxsat
and replaced it with the Humax YouView box, which is totally wonderful
in comparison. The iPlayer (and all the other players) work fine in
that. The Foxsat box sits in my workshop, with a view to taking it to
bits for useful gizmos.

By the way, do you have a fast and reliable broadband connection?

--
SteveT
Old May 26th 13, 04:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David.WE.Roberts

On Sun, 26 May 2013 09:00:49 -0500, Steve Thackery wrote:

David.WE.Roberts wrote:

[...]

Yes, I do have a fast and reliable broadband connection.

Once going, it streams fine at the higher resolution.

Performance is being monitored by SamKnows and the stats so far look
pretty good.

Cheers

Dave R
Old May 27th 13, 09:34 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Rick[_10_]

wrote:

Honestly, if you want
internet functions you're better off with a computer.

You've obviously never used a Samsung smart TV then?

Old May 27th 13, 11:24 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

Rick wrote:

You've obviously never used a Samsung smart TV then?

I have. One big problem is web browing. It's really tedious to type
things into a search engine using the remote, and it's really tedious
to point at something on the screen and click on it. Both, of course,
are trivial with a mouse/keyboard or a touch screen.

Mind you, a touch screen isn't a nice as a keyboard for text entry, but
both are way better than using a remote.

--
SteveT
Old May 27th 13, 11:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

Steve Thackery wrote:
Rick wrote:

You've obviously never used a Samsung smart TV then?

I have. One big problem is web browing. It's really tedious to type
things into a search engine using the remote, and it's really tedious
to point at something on the screen and click on it. Both, of course,
are trivial with a mouse/keyboard or a touch screen.

Mind you, a touch screen isn't a nice as a keyboard for text entry, but
both are way better than using a remote.

That's all fine, and I agree PC and keyboard/mouse for web browsing, but BBC
i-player on a smart TV is a godsend, because you can actually watch TV
programmes on, err,... TV. (Yes, I know you can plug a PC or Media Centre into
your telly, but having i-player (etc) integrated into the TV is a far more
elegant solution, and my experiences (Sony, Sammy, LG) is it works very well

--
Mark
Old May 27th 13, 12:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Mon, 27 May 2013 05:24:57 -0500, "Steve Thackery"
wrote:

Rick wrote:

You've obviously never used a Samsung smart TV then?

I have. One big problem is web browing. It's really tedious to type
things into a search engine using the remote, and it's really tedious
to point at something on the screen and click on it. Both, of course,
are trivial with a mouse/keyboard or a touch screen.

It is possible to connect a keyboard to a Samsung smart TV.

A Google search for samsung smart tv keyboard finds information
including this discussion:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/tv-te...-smart-tv.html

Samsung sells a wireless keyboard with touchpad:
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/t...eless-keyboard

Other makes are available *but see the avforums link above*.

I've just tried a wired keyboard and wired mouse (both Microsoft)
connected via the USB ports on my Samsung smart TV. They work OK.

Mind you, a touch screen isn't a nice as a keyboard for text entry, but
both are way better than using a remote.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)