Humax Foxsat-HD box report

Old May 28th 13, 02:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

Default Humax Foxsat-HD box report

On Tue, 28 May 2013 13:12:46 +0100, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

Any reasonably good standard PC with an HDMI output would do, so if
you have one, you could easily do a feasibility study just by
wheeling it across to your TV and plugging it in,

Where did you find a PC with wheels? I've never seen one.
Old May 28th 13, 03:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Rick[_10_]

"Steve Thackery" wrote in message

That's very helpful. Thanks, Rod. It's definitely encouraged me to
think seriously about giving it a go. I'll be finishing at Uni for the
summer in about three weeks - it sounds like an ideal project for the
break.

I have to say that I'm very pleased with my Raspberry Pi running XBMC (and
used in conjunction with a 64 GB SSD) as a very cheap, compact, low power
consumption wireless server, that can quite happily be left on 24/7.
Old May 28th 13, 05:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
rbel[_2_]

wrote:

Any reasonably good standard PC with an HDMI output would do, so if
you have one, you could easily do a feasibility study just by
wheeling it across to your TV and plugging it in,

Where did you find a PC with wheels? I've never seen one.

My desk pc, in an Antec P183 tower case, sits on a small platform
fitted with castors. It lives under the desk but I can pull it out
easily to get at the connections and innards.
--
rbel
Old May 28th 13, 06:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
rbel[_2_]

On Tue, 28 May 2013 08:31:25 -0500, "Steve Thackery"
wrote:

That's very helpful. Thanks, Rod. It's definitely encouraged me to
think seriously about giving it a go. I'll be finishing at Uni for the
summer in about three weeks - it sounds like an ideal project for the
break.

I have just started on an HTPC project. So far I have a satellite
dish on a portable stand to test potential locations and a TBS tuner
card which is currently in my pc. Yesterday I managed to get the
basic Freesat SD signals using the temporary rig with Windows Media
Centre running on win7 64 bit.

The next step is to finalise the dish location (probably on a pole in
the garden) and then endeavour to find the HD channels. If all goes
well I will then put a standalone HTPC together.
--
rbel
Old May 28th 13, 06:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

wrote:

Any reasonably good standard PC with an HDMI output would do, so if
you have one, you could easily do a feasibility study just by
wheeling it across to your TV and plugging it in,

Where did you find a PC with wheels? I've never seen one.

I didn't find it. I built it. I've never bought a ready-made one.

I only meant "wheel it over" as a figure of speech, but actually my
main desktop PC unit sits under my desk (which is just a big table),
not directly on the floor but on a small platform (originally part of
a keyboard shelf I think) to which I added castors so it can be moved
aside to hoover under it. I suppose they're sort of wheels...

Old May 29th 13, 10:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 29 May 2013 09:53:47 +0200, Martin wrote:

I saw a tower PC case where somebody had added a folding carrying
handle.

You can buy them. There are plenty, but here's an extreme example-

http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=705440&fid=186

Old May 31st 13, 10:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Tue, 28 May 2013 19:52:15 +0100, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

Any reasonably good standard PC with an HDMI output would do, so if
you have one, you could easily do a feasibility study just by
wheeling it across to your TV and plugging it in,

Where did you find a PC with wheels? I've never seen one.

I only meant "wheel it over" as a figure of speech,

I wasn't being entirely serious. Just seemed like an odd choice of phrase.

it can be moved aside to hoover under it.

Huh? What is this process of which you speak?
Old May 31st 13, 12:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

Huh? What is this process of which you speak?

It's something women do, apparently.

ducks

--
SteveT
Old May 31st 13, 02:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Paul Ratcliffe wrote:

Huh? What is this process of which you speak?

It's something done by women with OCD (Obsessive Cleaning Disorder).