Humax Foxsat-HD box report

Old May 27th 13, 11:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

Default Humax Foxsat-HD box report

Mark Carver wrote:

That's all fine, and I agree PC and keyboard/mouse for web browsing,
but BBC i-player on a smart TV is a godsend, because you can actually
watch TV programmes on, err,... TV.

Oh, yes, I absolutely agree. I use my TV for loads of internet content
(I mean iPlayer and the like). But as a general purpose web browser
it's unsatisfactory. I realise you weren't claiming that - I was

--
SteveT
Old May 27th 13, 11:35 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

Peter Duncanson wrote:

Samsung sells a wireless keyboard with touchpad:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/t...eless-keyboard

Other makes are available *but see the avforums link above*.

I've just tried a wired keyboard and wired mouse (both Microsoft)
connected via the USB ports on my Samsung smart TV. They work OK.

Ah, excellent. Thanks, Peter.

My own TV is actually a Sony smart TV (the Samsungs are elsewhere in my
family), so I'm going to experiment to see if it will support a
keyboard with trackpad plugged into its USB port (I fear it might not
because the manual just talks about using it for a hard disk). If it
does, I'll try to find a Bluetooth one that comes with a Bluetooth-USB
adapter. That should work just fine from the settee.

Thanks again.

--
SteveT
Old May 27th 13, 12:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

On Mon, 27 May 2013 06:35:18 -0500, "Steve Thackery"
wrote:

Peter Duncanson wrote:

Samsung sells a wireless keyboard with touchpad:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/t...eless-keyboard

Other makes are available *but see the avforums link above*.

I've just tried a wired keyboard and wired mouse (both Microsoft)
connected via the USB ports on my Samsung smart TV. They work OK.

Ah, excellent. Thanks, Peter.

My own TV is actually a Sony smart TV (the Samsungs are elsewhere in my
family), so I'm going to experiment to see if it will support a
keyboard with trackpad plugged into its USB port (I fear it might not
because the manual just talks about using it for a hard disk). If it
does, I'll try to find a Bluetooth one that comes with a Bluetooth-USB
adapter. That should work just fine from the settee.

Thanks again.

Good luck.

You might need to experiment a bit!

On my Samsung the web browser starts up with a cursor blinking in the
search box - just as on a computer. However it will not accept keyboard
input until I click on the search box with the mouse. Then it puts a
keyboard on screen, and will accept input from either that or the
external keyboard.

My model of Samsung, EH5300, is apparently not compatible with the
Samsung wireless keyboard.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old May 27th 13, 01:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 27 May 2013 09:34:12 +0100, "Rick" wrote:

Honestly, if you want
internet functions you're better off with a computer.

You've obviously never used a Samsung smart TV then?

My TV is a Samsung Smart TV. At least its makers think it's smart,
though I haven't found any reason to think so.

I tried connecting the ethernet port (with a temporary cable across
the floor) to decide if it would be worth buying the ridiculously
expensive special USB wireless dongle I would need to give it the
capability permanently, and quickly decided it wasn't. It has an
excellent picture and looks really neat on the wall, but its internet
facilities don't enable me to do anything I can't do already, and much
more quickly, with the computer which is plugged into one of its HDMI
sockets, so that's what I use. The TV set does what I would expect a
visual display to do and does it very well, and as that's all I
require of it I'm happy. I don't even use it for sound.

It's the same as with the PVR, where internet facilities appear to
have been added as an afterthought, possibly in an attempt to make it
appear a more attractive product by bolstering the feature list, but
it's awkward and slow and frankly not worth the bother.

Computers have been working with the internet since before flat panel
TVs and PVRs were invented, so perhaps it's not surprising that they
do it better.

Old May 27th 13, 01:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Rick[_10_]

"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 May 2013 05:24:57 -0500, "Steve Thackery"
wrote:

Rick wrote:

You've obviously never used a Samsung smart TV then?

I have. One big problem is web browing. It's really tedious to type
things into a search engine using the remote, and it's really tedious
to point at something on the screen and click on it. Both, of course,
are trivial with a mouse/keyboard or a touch screen.

It is possible to connect a keyboard to a Samsung smart TV.

A Google search for samsung smart tv keyboard finds information
including this discussion:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/tv-te...-smart-tv.html

Samsung sells a wireless keyboard with touchpad:
http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/t...eless-keyboard

A Lidl 13.00 'SilverCrest' wireless keyboard and mouse works brilliantly
with the Samsung, as it also does with a Raspberry Pi.

Old May 27th 13, 01:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 27 May 2013 13:03:45 +0100, Peter Duncanson
wrote:

My own TV is actually a Sony smart TV (the Samsungs are elsewhere in my
family), so I'm going to experiment to see if it will support a
keyboard with trackpad plugged into its USB port (I fear it might not
because the manual just talks about using it for a hard disk). If it
does, I'll try to find a Bluetooth one that comes with a Bluetooth-USB
adapter. That should work just fine from the settee.

Thanks again.

Good luck.

You might need to experiment a bit!

On my Samsung the web browser starts up with a cursor blinking in the
search box - just as on a computer. However it will not accept keyboard
input until I click on the search box with the mouse. Then it puts a
keyboard on screen, and will accept input from either that or the
external keyboard.

The PC that I use as a media centre will work with any standard mouse
and/or keyboard with no modification or experimentaion at all.

I've found that after setting up shortcut and bookmark buttons I
rarely need to use the keyboard, so it sits in a corner until needed,
and there's always the Windows on-screen keyboard for when I'm too
lazy to leave the sofa. I've tried several other input devices
including miniature keyboards and touchpads, but keep going back to a
standard mouse on the coffee table.

Old May 27th 13, 02:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
Steve Thackery wrote:
Rick wrote:

You've obviously never used a Samsung smart TV then?

I have. One big problem is web browing. It's really tedious
to type
things into a search engine using the remote, and it's really
tedious
to point at something on the screen and click on it. Both, of
course,
are trivial with a mouse/keyboard or a touch screen.

Mind you, a touch screen isn't a nice as a keyboard for text
entry, but
both are way better than using a remote.

That's all fine, and I agree PC and keyboard/mouse for web
browsing, but BBC i-player on a smart TV is a godsend, because
you can actually watch TV programmes on, err,... TV. (Yes, I
know you can plug a PC or Media Centre into
your telly, but having i-player (etc) integrated into the TV is
a far more elegant solution, and my experiences (Sony, Sammy,
LG) is it works very well

Even better if you have cable - even just the FTA/FTV package -
as you get iPlayer, 4OD etc free as well.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old May 27th 13, 05:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

Roderick Stewart wrote:

The PC that I use as a media centre will work with any standard mouse
and/or keyboard with no modification or experimentaion at all.

Hey, Rod, have you posted details of your media centre PC before in
this group? If so, I will see if I can do a search for it.

Even though I'm a bit of a Humax junkie, I very much like the idea of
making my own media centre. I was wondering what OS you used, and what
software. Also, do you use plug-in tuner cards (which seem hard to get
and expensive), or those USB tuners?

Many thanks.

--
SteveT
Old May 28th 13, 12:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 27 May 2013 12:04:33 -0500, "Steve Thackery"
wrote:

The PC that I use as a media centre will work with any standard mouse
and/or keyboard with no modification or experimentaion at all.

Hey, Rod, have you posted details of your media centre PC before in
this group? If so, I will see if I can do a search for it.

I have mentioned it before, but there isn't really much to say about
it except that it's a pretty standard computer running Windows 7
(though I've also tried Ubuntu), and is really only nominally a "media
centre" by virtue of being plugged into a big TV set on the wall
instead of a smaller monitor on a desk. Any reasonably good standard
PC with an HDMI output would do, so if you have one, you could easily
do a feasibility study just by wheeling it across to your TV and
plugging it in, before deciding whether to build a dedicated one.

If you intend to keep it in the same room, you'll probably want to
choose low noise case fans, a fanless graphics card and a laptop drive
for main storage. You might also want to build it into a horizontal
case instead of the more usual tower case to fit with the hi-fi
equipment, but that's just a matter of preference.

I've tried TV tuner cards to record programmes, and special software
to play DVDs and Blu-Rays but eventually gave up with them as I found
that dedicated disk players and PVRs are much more responsive and
user-friendly for these functions. I mostly use the media centre for
Youtube, internet radio, iPlayer, video clips and stills. There's
plenty of free software to deal with these things and of course you
can experiment. Firefox, VLC, Irfanview, XBMC, Rarmaradio are just a
few. I have Windows configured with no icons on the desktop and the
taskbar on "autohide" so when it's not in use it only shows the
background image, and the flat screen TV just looks like a picture
hanging on the wall. Windows has a huge collection of background
images you can download, and some of the landscapes look amazing on a
big screen.

Nearly everything I want can be controlled by a standard wireless
mouse which normally lives on the coffee table, with the keyboard
stashed in a corner nearby. One of my granddaughters has discovered
that if you take the keyboard over to the coffee table, you can go on
Facebook just like you can with a normal PC, so I have to explain to
her that that's not really what it was built for...

Old May 28th 13, 01:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

That's very helpful. Thanks, Rod. It's definitely encouraged me to
think seriously about giving it a go. I'll be finishing at Uni for the
summer in about three weeks - it sounds like an ideal project for the
break.

--
SteveT