Reception - prevailing conditions.

Old May 21st 13, 01:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ian field

Default Reception - prevailing conditions.

For a few days now, Freeview has been a bit iffy (SG6) - I've also noticed
one of my MSF60 radio controlled clocks hasn't been updating properly.

Old May 21st 13, 02:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I'd have thought these are not connected. I assume the clock still uses
frequencies measured in a few tens of Khz whereas the tv is UHF etc.
Unless of course your entire house has been put in a tin box.

From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
Blind user.

Old May 21st 13, 03:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ian field

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I'd have thought these are not connected. I assume the clock still uses
frequencies measured in a few tens of Khz

The name "MSF60" is a bit of a giveaway really.

Old May 21st 13, 06:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

Ian Field wrote:

The name "MSF60" is a bit of a giveaway really.

Hang on, it's called MSF, isn't it? Where did the 60 come from?

--
SteveT
Old May 21st 13, 06:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ian field

"Steve Thackery" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

The name "MSF60" is a bit of a giveaway really.

Hang on, it's called MSF, isn't it? Where did the 60 come from?

You might just as wonder where the 77 comes from on the Frankfurt 77kHz
DCF77.

Old May 21st 13, 08:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

Ian Field wrote:

You might just as wonder where the 77 comes from on the Frankfurt
77kHz DCF77.

No: 'DCF77' is correct. The call sign for the UK transmitter is 'MSF',
*not* 'MSF60'.

There is no such callsign as 'MSF60'.

--
SteveT
Old May 21st 13, 08:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ian field

Ian Field wrote:

You might just as wonder where the 77 comes from on the Frankfurt
77kHz DCF77.

No: 'DCF77' is correct. The call sign for the UK transmitter is 'MSF',
*not* 'MSF60'.

There is no such callsign as 'MSF60'.

I never said it was a callsign.

http://g7kse.co.uk/tag/msf60/

Old May 21st 13, 09:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Woody[_5_]

Ian Field wrote:

You might just as wonder where the 77 comes from on the
Frankfurt
77kHz DCF77.

No: 'DCF77' is correct. The call sign for the UK transmitter
is 'MSF',
*not* 'MSF60'.

There is no such callsign as 'MSF60'.

Also bear in mind that whilst MSF was originally at Rugby, when
BT lost the contract some years ago and it was taken over by VT
(part of Babcocks) they moved transmission to Anthorn in North
Cumbria which significantly weakened the signal further south.
Here in HG I used to be able to get Rugby anywhere, but now I
have to position the clock in a specific direction on a
north-facing windowsill. The OP was in Stevenage (SG) so he may
have even more difficulty - DCF is probably stronger there!

It is also worth looking on the NPL web site
(www.npl.co.uk/time/msf) as MSF seems to be taken down for
maintenance far far more often than the (usual) once a year when
it was at Rugby. I know, I get a warning e-mail every time!

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old May 21st 13, 09:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ian field

Ian Field wrote:

You might just as wonder where the 77 comes from on the Frankfurt
77kHz DCF77.

No: 'DCF77' is correct. The call sign for the UK transmitter is 'MSF',
*not* 'MSF60'.

There is no such callsign as 'MSF60'.

Also bear in mind that whilst MSF was originally at Rugby, when BT lost
the contract some years ago and it was taken over by VT (part of Babcocks)
they moved transmission to Anthorn in North Cumbria which significantly
weakened the signal further south. Here in HG I used to be able to get
Rugby anywhere, but now I have to position the clock in a specific
direction on a north-facing windowsill.

The clock over my desk cant easily be re-aligned - I filed a small hole
where the case joins for the wires and mounted the LC on one end with a blob
of Blu-tak.

Before that it was unreliable all the time, now its only iffy in the present
weather conditions.

The OP was in Stevenage (SG) so he may

Stevenage is SG1.

have even more difficulty - DCF is probably stronger there!

The dial clocks might be DCF - so far no problems with them.

I'm assuming anything with a "CET" switch on the back is DCF.

Old May 21st 13, 11:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Ian Field wrote:

The clock over my desk cant easily be re-aligned - I filed a small hole
where the case joins for the wires and mounted the LC on one end with a
blob of Blu-tak.

Before that it was unreliable all the time, now its only iffy in the
present weather conditions.

Is is being affected by rain? Is that what you mean? Does your roof leak?