Reception - prevailing conditions.

Old May 21st 13, 11:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

Default Reception - prevailing conditions.

Ian Field wrote:

I never said it was a callsign.

http://g7kse.co.uk/tag/msf60/

The fact is clear: 'MSF' has never properly been called 'MSF60', and
some radio amateur calling it that doesn't make it so. It's wrong,
simple as that.

--
SteveT
Old May 22nd 13, 12:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I blame the mutant haggis myself.

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

The clock over my desk cant easily be re-aligned - I filed a small hole
where the case joins for the wires and mounted the LC on one end with a
blob of Blu-tak.

Before that it was unreliable all the time, now its only iffy in the
present weather conditions.

Is is being affected by rain? Is that what you mean? Does your roof leak?

Old May 22nd 13, 08:41 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Tue, 21 May 2013 22:34:07 +0100, Woody
wrote:

It is also worth looking on the NPL web site
(www.npl.co.uk/time/msf) as MSF seems to be taken down for
maintenance far far more often than the (usual) once a year when
it was at Rugby. I know, I get a warning e-mail every time!

It was down for maintenance quite a lot when it was at Rugby as
well. Usually most of the day on the first Tuesday of the month
and for an extended period some time over the summer as I remember.
Quite why it needed all that I really don't know. No other
transmitters seem to need it.
Old May 22nd 13, 09:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles

wrote:

It is also worth looking on the NPL web site
(www.npl.co.uk/time/msf) as MSF seems to be taken down for
maintenance far far more often than the (usual) once a year when
it was at Rugby. I know, I get a warning e-mail every time!

It was down for maintenance quite a lot when it was at Rugby as
well. Usually most of the day on the first Tuesday of the month
and for an extended period some time over the summer as I remember.
Quite why it needed all that I really don't know. No other
transmitters seem to need it.

stay greasing?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Old May 22nd 13, 09:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Tue, 21 May 2013 22:49:47 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Woody" wrote in message
"Steve Thackery" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

You might just as wonder where the 77 comes from on the Frankfurt
77kHz DCF77.

No: 'DCF77' is correct. The call sign for the UK transmitter is 'MSF',
*not* 'MSF60'.

There is no such callsign as 'MSF60'.

Also bear in mind that whilst MSF was originally at Rugby, when BT lost
the contract some years ago and it was taken over by VT (part of Babcocks)
they moved transmission to Anthorn in North Cumbria which significantly
weakened the signal further south. Here in HG I used to be able to get
Rugby anywhere, but now I have to position the clock in a specific
direction on a north-facing windowsill.

The clock over my desk cant easily be re-aligned - I filed a small hole
where the case joins for the wires and mounted the LC on one end with a blob
of Blu-tak.

Before that it was unreliable all the time, now its only iffy in the present
weather conditions.

Since it's entirely ground-wave reception, it should not be noticeably
affected by atmospheric or weather conditions - unless perhaps you
live on a flood plain.

Old May 22nd 13, 11:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Wed, 22 May 2013 01:07:09 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

I blame the mutant haggis myself.

Brian

Was that the subject of a film? If not, it should be.
--
Davey.
Old May 22nd 13, 06:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I'd have thought these are not connected. I assume the clock still uses
frequencies measured in a few tens of Khz whereas the tv is UHF etc.
Unless of course your entire house has been put in a tin box.

From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
Blind user.
"Ian Field" wrote in message
For a few days now, Freeview has been a bit iffy (SG6) - I've also
noticed one of my MSF60 radio controlled clocks hasn't been updating
properly.

I think we are at a time of maximum solar activity and a huge flare was
reported last week (it takes a little time for the particles to cross 93M
miles).

Old May 22nd 13, 06:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
ian field

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I'd have thought these are not connected. I assume the clock still uses
frequencies measured in a few tens of Khz whereas the tv is UHF etc.
Unless of course your entire house has been put in a tin box.

From the Bed of Brian Gaff.
The email is valid as
Blind user.
"Ian Field" wrote in message
For a few days now, Freeview has been a bit iffy (SG6) - I've also
noticed one of my MSF60 radio controlled clocks hasn't been updating
properly.

I think we are at a time of maximum solar activity and a huge flare was
reported last week (it takes a little time for the particles to cross 93M
miles).

Usually when reception gets a bit flaky, the Humax is better for the higher
channel numbers and the Digifusion best for the low ones - ATM they're both
pretty bad regardless of channel number.

Old May 23rd 13, 10:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Terry[_2_]

Steve Thackery wrote:
Ian Field wrote:

I never said it was a callsign.

http://g7kse.co.uk/tag/msf60/

The fact is clear: 'MSF' has never properly been called 'MSF60', and
some radio amateur calling it that doesn't make it so. It's wrong,
simple as that.

Who cares what it's called as long as you understand what he means

MSF on 60kHz

and one of my MSF clocks also isn't updating, could be local VLF
interference?

Steve Terry
--
Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and 5 bonus after activation at:
http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk

Old May 23rd 13, 10:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

Steve Terry wrote:

Who cares what it's called as long as you understand what he means

Because in a sarcastic reply to Brian he said this: "The name 'MSF60'
is a bit of a giveaway". Unfortunately, by trying to be a smartarse
he's made a fool of himself; it has never been named 'MSF60'.

--
SteveT