more info re under 11s football incident

Old May 30th 13, 03:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Peter Duncanson

Default more info re under 11s football incident

On Thu, 30 May 2013 13:47:07 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Thu, 30 May 2013 12:34:37 +0100, Peter Duncanson
wrote:

On Thu, 30 May 2013 12:15:15 +0100, Bill Wright
wrote:

Martin wrote:

Finally a mention of A Hitler.

Thread finished

THE END.
No, it doesn't comply. To comply someone else's argument has to be
likened to the politics of A Hitler.

Bill

I agree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

That's just a poor summary

It is not a rigid dictatorial law. If it were rigid and dictatorial it
would be too much like the actions of the man and the political movement
we are trying not to mention.

This and the link I already posted are better
http://wiki.killfile.org/projects/usenet/faqs/godwin/

"4. That still doesn't answer my question. What does it *MEAN*?

The Law is generally used on Usenet as an indicator of whether
thread has gone on too long, who's playing fair and who's just
slinging
mud, and who finally gets to "win" the discussion. It has, over time,
become the closest thing to an impartial moderator that Usenet can
get.

So, what this means in practical terms:

o If someone brings up Nazis in general conversation when it
wasn't necessary or germane without it necessarily being an
insult, it's probably about time for the thread to end.
o If someone brings up Nazis in general conversation when it
was vaguely related but is basically being used as an
insult,
the speaker can be considered to be flaming and not
debating.
o If someone brings up Nazis in any conversation that has been
going on too long for one of the parties, it can be used as
a fair excuse to end the thread and declare victory for the
other side.

--
Peter Duncanson
(in uk.tech.digital-tv)
Old May 30th 13, 07:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Martin wrote:

It is not a rigid dictatorial law. If it were rigid and dictatorial it
would be too much like the actions of the man and the political movement
we are trying not to mention.

Bill has a political movement? :-)

I did have a movement a few minutes ago. I guess if it is going to form
a political party it had better be called the Brownshirts. Or maybe the
Stained Pants.

BNP. Brown Nickers Party!

Old May 30th 13, 07:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Martin wrote:

I haven't a dog. Both cats died of old age. I'm an OAP.

Is this one of those IQ tests where you have to fill in the next sentence?

Bill

PS: I'm off to the shops for some eggs.

You should do your chicken impersonation and lay your own.

I thought I had just now, except how can an egg have sharp corners?