Countryfile

Old May 12th 13, 05:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Countryfile

What possessed them to put ludicrously unrealistic fake tramlines over a
sequence showing Japanese vegetables? Why? Why? Why? Why?

Old May 13th 13, 06:28 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

What?

Surreal man, like far out..

From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active

Old May 14th 13, 08:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ramsman

On 14/05/2013 09:09, Martin wrote:
On Tue, 14 May 2013 00:50:32 -0700 (PDT), Owain
wrote:

On May 12, 6:43 pm, Bill Wright wrote:
What possessed them to put ludicrously unrealistic fake tramlines over a
sequence showing Japanese vegetables? Why? Why? Why? Why?

Because if the director doesn't apply some effects to the footage no-
one will know he's got a Media degree from East Cheam Poly (sorry, The
Hancock Sutton Metropolitan University)

Is it worse than often out of focus, 10 second interval slide show,
celeb driven, Gardeners' World?

The most annoying thing for me in Countryfile is the occasional tinting
of the top part of the screen, colouring the clouds. It really does look
artificial. Not at all acceptable for fans of Constable, Turner, van
Ruysdael, etc.

--
Peter
Old May 14th 13, 08:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris J Dixon

Ramsman wrote:

The most annoying thing for me in Countryfile is the occasional tinting
of the top part of the screen, colouring the clouds. It really does look
artificial. Not at all acceptable for fans of Constable, Turner, van
Ruysdael, etc.

Ah! The graduated filter. Also very popular on Top Gear.

There is a technical reason for using them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduat...density_filter

However, I agree that having the top third of the picture turning
noticeably purple is unattractive.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old May 14th 13, 09:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Kennedy[_2_]

On 14/05/2013 09:57, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Ramsman wrote:

The most annoying thing for me in Countryfile is the occasional tinting
of the top part of the screen, colouring the clouds. It really does look
artificial. Not at all acceptable for fans of Constable, Turner, van
Ruysdael, etc.

Ah! The graduated filter. Also very popular on Top Gear.

There is a technical reason for using them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduat...density_filter

There is indeed but many of these ****s seem to thing it's compulsory.
After all who would simply want to watch the program if there were no
"clever" effects...

http://www.anindianinexile.com
Old May 14th 13, 09:42 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Champ[_2_]

On 14/05/2013 09:14, Ramsman wrote:

The most annoying thing for me in Countryfile is the occasional tinting
of the top part of the screen, colouring the clouds. It really does look
artificial. Not at all acceptable for fans of Constable, Turner, van
Ruysdael, etc.

The most annoying thing for me about Countryfile is that it isn't about
the country any more. They got rid of all their experienced presenters a
few years back, and the new ones might be better looking but don't have
the knowledge.

Haven't watched it for years. I used to watch every episode.

Andy
--
Did try one the other day. Not any better.
Old May 14th 13, 10:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Kennedy[_2_]

On 14/05/2013 10:13, Martin wrote:

Ramsman wrote:

The most annoying thing for me in Countryfile is the occasional tinting
of the top part of the screen, colouring the clouds. It really does look
artificial. Not at all acceptable for fans of Constable, Turner, van
Ruysdael, etc.

Ah! The graduated filter. Also very popular on Top Gear.

There is a technical reason for using them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduat...density_filter

There is indeed but many of these ****s seem to thing it's compulsory.
After all who would simply want to watch the program if there were no
"clever" effects...

****s?

A technical term used to describe over ambitious directors.

Old May 14th 13, 10:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham C

On Tue, 14 May 2013 10:42:33 +0100, Andy Champ
wrote:

On 14/05/2013 09:14, Ramsman wrote:

The most annoying thing for me about Countryfile is that it isn't about
the country any more. They got rid of all their experienced presenters a
few years back, and the new ones might be better looking but don't have
the knowledge.

Haven't watched it for years. I used to watch every episode.

Andy

Agree 100%. Bring back Michaela!

This business of 'We are going to show you...', followed by,
'At the beginning of the programme we said we'd show you...'
then you see (part) of it which allows them to say later,
'Earlier in the programme we showed you...' is criticised many times
on 'Points of view'.
It turns a 50 minute programme into an hour long one which is probably
why the Beeb take no notice of the complaints.

A long term mate of mine (ex BBC video editor who incidentally rated
Ms Strachan as 'extremely professional') found difficulty in getting
work later as a freelancer as he 'wasn't using all the gimics and
gadgets', plus 'not enough cuts - we need one every few seconds.'

OT but I note the Beeb have taken some notice of the 'Credit Crunch'
repeat complaint. They now don't shrink the credits until part way
through, though they now run them at high speed which makes reading
nigh impossible. I find the Toppy won't freeze frame at the exact bit
you want to read.

GrahamC
Old May 14th 13, 11:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Rick[_10_]

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
. uk...
On 14/05/2013 09:14, Ramsman wrote:

The most annoying thing for me in Countryfile is the occasional tinting
of the top part of the screen, colouring the clouds. It really does look
artificial. Not at all acceptable for fans of Constable, Turner, van
Ruysdael, etc.

The most annoying thing for me about Countryfile is that it isn't about
the country any more. They got rid of all their experienced presenters a
few years back, and the new ones might be better looking but don't have
the knowledge.

Haven't watched it for years. I used to watch every episode.

No gimmicks back in the days when Jack Hargreaves presented 'Out of Town',
and in my view all the better for it.

Old May 14th 13, 01:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Ramsman wrote:

The most annoying thing for me in Countryfile is the occasional tinting
of the top part of the screen, colouring the clouds. It really does look
artificial. Not at all acceptable for fans of Constable, Turner, van
Ruysdael, etc.

Ah! The graduated filter. Also very popular on Top Gear.

There is a technical reason for using them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduat...density_filter

It isn't a graduated neutral density filter. It's a graduated colour filter.