Countryfile

Old May 14th 13, 02:25 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_6_]

Default Countryfile

Rick wrote:
"Andy Champ" wrote in message
. uk...
On 14/05/2013 09:14, Ramsman wrote:

The most annoying thing for me in Countryfile is the occasional
tinting of the top part of the screen, colouring the clouds. It
really does look artificial. Not at all acceptable for fans of
Constable, Turner, van Ruysdael, etc.

The most annoying thing for me about Countryfile is that it isn't
about the country any more. They got rid of all their experienced
presenters a few years back, and the new ones might be better
looking but don't have the knowledge.

Haven't watched it for years. I used to watch every episode.

No gimmicks back in the days when Jack Hargreaves presented 'Out of
Town', and in my view all the better for it.

Fanny in the kitchen, Percy in the greenhouse!

Those were the days.
Old May 14th 13, 02:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ramsman

On 14/05/2013 14:05, Bill Wright wrote:
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Ramsman wrote:

The most annoying thing for me in Countryfile is the occasional
tinting of the top part of the screen, colouring the clouds. It
really does look artificial. Not at all acceptable for fans of
Constable, Turner, van Ruysdael, etc.

Ah! The graduated filter. Also very popular on Top Gear.

There is a technical reason for using them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduat...density_filter

It isn't a graduated neutral density filter. It's a graduated colour
filter.

Bill

Exactly. A proper graduated ND filter wouldn't be obtrusive, after all
that's what it's for. If I wanted silly colour effects I'd put coloured
plastic over the screen.

--
Peter
Old May 14th 13, 02:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ramsman

On 14/05/2013 12:47, Rick wrote:

"Andy Champ" wrote in message
. uk...
On 14/05/2013 09:14, Ramsman wrote:

The most annoying thing for me in Countryfile is the occasional tinting
of the top part of the screen, colouring the clouds. It really does look
artificial. Not at all acceptable for fans of Constable, Turner, van
Ruysdael, etc.

The most annoying thing for me about Countryfile is that it isn't
about the country any more. They got rid of all their experienced
presenters a few years back, and the new ones might be better looking
but don't have the knowledge.

Haven't watched it for years. I used to watch every episode.

No gimmicks back in the days when Jack Hargreaves presented 'Out of
Town', and in my view all the better for it.

Great programme. Didn't see it very often, but loved the music:
Recuerdos de la Alhambra. I remember learning what a fleam is.

--
Peter
Old May 14th 13, 03:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian

In message , Graham C
writes
On Tue, 14 May 2013 10:42:33 +0100, Andy Champ
wrote:

On 14/05/2013 09:14, Ramsman wrote:

The most annoying thing for me about Countryfile is that it isn't about
the country any more. They got rid of all their experienced presenters a
few years back, and the new ones might be better looking but don't have
the knowledge.

Haven't watched it for years. I used to watch every episode.

Andy

Agree 100%. Bring back Michaela!

This business of 'We are going to show you...', followed by,
'At the beginning of the programme we said we'd show you...'
then you see (part) of it which allows them to say later,
'Earlier in the programme we showed you...' is criticised many times
on 'Points of view'.
It turns a 50 minute programme into an hour long one which is probably
why the Beeb take no notice of the complaints.

A long term mate of mine (ex BBC video editor who incidentally rated
Ms Strachan as 'extremely professional') found difficulty in getting
work later as a freelancer as he 'wasn't using all the gimics and
gadgets', plus 'not enough cuts - we need one every few seconds.'

OT but I note the Beeb have taken some notice of the 'Credit Crunch'
repeat complaint. They now don't shrink the credits until part way
through, though they now run them at high speed which makes reading
nigh impossible. I find the Toppy won't freeze frame at the exact bit
you want to read.

GrahamC

The bits telling you what's coming up, and what's already happened are
for the benefit of people who've forgotten everything during the
commercials.

The company that produces it hope it will be bought by other
broadcasters, who may be commercial.
--
Ian
Old May 14th 13, 08:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Steve Thackery[_2_]

Graham C wrote:

Agree 100%. Bring back Michaela!

Phwwoooaaarrrgghh, yeah, not arf!!

(Just joking - my little example of being patronising.)

--
SteveT
Old May 14th 13, 11:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Tue, 14 May 2013 23:29:10 +0200
Martin wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Ramsman wrote:

The most annoying thing for me in Countryfile is the occasional
tinting of the top part of the screen, colouring the clouds. It
really does look artificial. Not at all acceptable for fans of
Constable, Turner, van Ruysdael, etc.

Ah! The graduated filter. Also very popular on Top Gear.

There is a technical reason for using them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduat...density_filter

It isn't a graduated neutral density filter. It's a graduated
colour filter.

Bill

Exactly. A proper graduated ND filter wouldn't be obtrusive, after
all that's what it's for. If I wanted silly colour effects I'd put
coloured plastic over the screen.

Remember the ones sold for B/W sets?

The ones with a blue top third, and a green bottom third?
--
Davey.
Old May 15th 13, 07:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Sara

In article ,
"Steve Thackery" wrote:

Graham C wrote:

Agree 100%. Bring back Michaela!

Phwwoooaaarrrgghh, yeah, not arf!!

(Just joking - my little example of being patronising.)

Now, now!

--
Billy doesn't clean his paws often enough. Mucky cat.
Old May 15th 13, 11:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Davey

On Wed, 15 May 2013 09:48:51 +0200
Martin wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Ramsman wrote:

The most annoying thing for me in Countryfile is the
occasional tinting of the top part of the screen, colouring
the clouds. It really does look artificial. Not at all
acceptable for fans of Constable, Turner, van Ruysdael, etc.

Ah! The graduated filter. Also very popular on Top Gear.

There is a technical reason for using them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduat...density_filter

It isn't a graduated neutral density filter. It's a graduated
colour filter.

Bill

Exactly. A proper graduated ND filter wouldn't be obtrusive, after
all that's what it's for. If I wanted silly colour effects I'd put
coloured plastic over the screen.

Remember the ones sold for B/W sets?

The ones with a blue top third, and a green bottom third?

Yes!

I watched "Fantastic Journey", or whatever it was called, the one
where people and a submarine are miniaturised and injected into
somebody's body, with one of those colour sheets on the screen. There
was no sky, and no grass in the film. It really showed up the
pointlessness of the things.
--
Davey.

Old May 15th 13, 07:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JohnT[_6_]

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Ramsman wrote:

[...]

Are you sure it wasn't 1960s broadcast NTSC?
--
JohnT