+1 channels

Old April 30th 13, 08:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
viewer[_4_]

Default +1 channels

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 18:24:01 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

Max Demian wrote:

Try telling that o the bookmakers... ;-)

Sneak into the bookies and change their TVs to the +1. Then use the main
channel to see who wins.

Wasn't there a betting scam back in the 1960s, using the same
principle, secretly delaying the audio feed of races to betting shops ?

This scam was reported in one of my books. Ie:
Given the few seconds delay of digital TV.
Punter goes to races with internet connected laptop.
Watches the race live, and immediately "lays" any fallers, etc.
I don't know if Betfair, etc have put in "stoppers" for this. I know
Paddy Power have a delay of several seconds before "in-running bets"
are accepted.

Old April 30th 13, 12:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tedjrr[_3_]

On Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:02:54 PM UTC+1, David Kennedy wrote:
On 28/04/2013 21:07, viewer wrote:
I'm tired of the proliferation of +1 channels, eg ITV1+1. Ch4 +1.
What we need are -1 (minus 1) channels.
Especially on Channel 4, Racing UK and At the Races.
This way, I can see the winners, back them, and never need to work
again.

If you stick to watching the +1 channels then you already have -1

http://www.anindianinexile.com

The other point to consider is the +4 channels.

Yes! There are, all UTC/BST +4 : BBC1 Delay, BBC2 Delay, ITV Delay and BFPS Extra Delay. The purpose is to drop UK television broadcasts into Falklands time to resemble how UK programmes would be viewed in Germany/Balkans. Eg the BBC Six O'Clock News comes on at 1900 HRS local time, as it would in EST.

Old April 30th 13, 03:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark[_6_]

On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 21:07:51 +0100, viewer wrote:

I'm tired of the proliferation of +1 channels, eg ITV1+1. Ch4 +1.
What we need are -1 (minus 1) channels.
Especially on Channel 4, Racing UK and At the Races.
This way, I can see the winners, back them, and never need to work
again.

+1 channels are really great. They give you another chance not to
watch the programmes you didn't want to watch an hour ago.

Old April 30th 13, 06:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Mark
writes
On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 21:07:51 +0100, viewer wrote:

I'm tired of the proliferation of +1 channels, eg ITV1+1. Ch4 +1.
What we need are -1 (minus 1) channels.
Especially on Channel 4, Racing UK and At the Races.
This way, I can see the winners, back them, and never need to work
again.

+1 channels are really great. They give you another chance not to
watch the programmes you didn't want to watch an hour ago.

Since VCRs were first introduced, I've always thought that that was one
of the most useful features of video recorders. You carefully set the
timer to record that all-important TV programme, then weeks later, when
you eventually remember to watch it, immediately decide that it looks
like it's going to be a load of rubbish, and erase it.
--
Ian
Old April 30th 13, 06:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark[_6_]

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 19:18:58 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Mark
writes
On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 21:07:51 +0100, viewer wrote:

I'm tired of the proliferation of +1 channels, eg ITV1+1. Ch4 +1.
What we need are -1 (minus 1) channels.
Especially on Channel 4, Racing UK and At the Races.
This way, I can see the winners, back them, and never need to work
again.

+1 channels are really great. They give you another chance not to
watch the programmes you didn't want to watch an hour ago.

Since VCRs were first introduced, I've always thought that that was one
of the most useful features of video recorders. You carefully set the
timer to record that all-important TV programme, then weeks later, when
you eventually remember to watch it, immediately decide that it looks
like it's going to be a load of rubbish, and erase it.

In the early days of the VCR I would carefully select which programmes
to record onto one of my few tapes and then I would watch them all.

Now I have a PVR I record lots of stuff and then erase most of it a
long time afterwards (without watching it at all) when the disk is
full.

Old April 30th 13, 06:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_2_]

In message , Mark
writes
On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 19:18:58 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Mark
writes
[...]

Essentially the same here. When your disc's full, it's amazing what you
instantly decide is no longer 'essential viewing'. Whatever you use, a
video recorder is one of the most useful tools for enabling you not to
waste your time watching rubbish programmes.
--
Ian
Old April 30th 13, 08:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Johny B Good[_2_]

On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 19:46:16 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Mark
writes
On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 19:18:58 +0100, Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Mark
writes
[...]

That's one of the reasons why I prefer to let the XYL hog the Toppy
whilst I still use my desktop PC and a laptop to record TV programmes.

The issue of deciding whether it's worth keeping a recording of a new
programme or not can be more accurately decided by being able to jump
instantly along the time bar in the media player of choice and get
more glimpses per minute of reviewing time. It's a damn sight faster
than using the Toppy (and, most probably, any other domestic DVR).

Also, when I'm recording repeats of stuff I already have in the hope
of capturing a less vandalised version, I can swiftly jump to the end
credits (the region of gross vandalism) and decide whether it's "A
Keeper" or just one for the bit bucket.

--
Regards, J B Good
Old May 18th 13, 03:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Grimly Curmudgeon[_2_]

wrote:

Essentially the same here. When your disc's full, it's amazing what you
instantly decide is no longer 'essential viewing'. Whatever you use, a
video recorder is one of the most useful tools for enabling you not to
waste your time watching rubbish programmes.

Exactly so.
I have whole series of programmes I was watching week by week, that
I've let the PVR record for me, meaning to catch up.
In the meantime, the interest has waned somewhat, and now I'm nearly
deleting the lot, unviewed.
Half the last series and all of the current series of 'Shameless' for
example - drop the lot, I think.
Old May 18th 13, 07:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_2_]

In article , grimly4
@gmail.com says...

wrote:

Essentially the same here. When your disc's full, it's amazing what you
instantly decide is no longer 'essential viewing'. Whatever you use, a
video recorder is one of the most useful tools for enabling you not to
waste your time watching rubbish programmes.

Exactly so.
I have whole series of programmes I was watching week by week, that
I've let the PVR record for me, meaning to catch up.
In the meantime, the interest has waned somewhat, and now I'm nearly
deleting the lot, unviewed.
Half the last series and all of the current series of 'Shameless' for
example - drop the lot, I think.

I do not tend to watch a series until I have it all. While this risks
spoilers, it means I do not waste my time on the early episodes if it
turns out to be rubbish - I just delete it.
Old May 18th 13, 09:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
John Hall

In article ,
Yellow writes:
I do not tend to watch a series until I have it all. While this risks
spoilers, it means I do not waste my time on the early episodes if it
turns out to be rubbish - I just delete it.

I perhaps ought to do the same. As I get older, I find it increasingly
hard to remember what has been happening from one week's episode to the
next.
--
John Hall
"Sir, I have found you an argument;